LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 232 users in the forums

Why not go for Logan Mankins in FA

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by confusedrhino:
And to think the only reason we got Baas was because the patriots selected Mankins with the pick just before us... (I think)

QFT
Originally posted by redrathman:
Originally posted by skeetskeet:
Originally posted by nflguy49:
Patriots | Mankins receives highest tender
Comment (0) Tweet me!
Thu, 04 Mar 2010 09:40:04 -0800

Adam Schefter, of ESPN, reports the New England Patriots have assigned the first-round and third-round tender offer to restricted free-agent OG Logan Mankins.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/NFL?page=2#ixzz0hFj61Pvk

do it.

uses our first for a proven guy, a guy from the valley, and he wont be a project.

Signing Mankins would mean not only losing the 13th and 88th selections in this April's draft, but also shelling out a bonus in excess of $20,000,000. The draft is thick with guards; signing Mankins would likely mean losing out on the opportunity to re-sign Willis, Lawson or Davis within the next few years.

#1 Who cares about Lawson???

#2 There won't be a salary cap anymore. The only thing that will prevent the Niners from re-signing players like Willis is if the Niners don't think he's worth the money.
Comment (0) Tweet me!

Adam Schefter, of ESPN, reports the New England Patriots have assigned the first-round and third-round tender offer to restricted free-agent OG Logan Mankins.

do it.

uses our first for a proven guy, a guy from the valley, and he wont be a project.

Signing Mankins would mean not only losing the 13th and 88th selections in this April's draft, but also shelling out a bonus in excess of $20,000,000. The draft is thick with guards; signing Mankins would likely mean losing out on the opportunity to re-sign Willis, Lawson or Davis within the next few years.

#2 There won't be a salary cap anymore. The only thing that will prevent the Niners from re-signing players like Willis is if the Niners don't think he's worth the money.

the thing is do we really wanna trade our 13th pick for a guard?? even though hes really good but still no one takes a guard at 13 or trades a guard for that high of pick. ok if were a legit guard away from being down right sb contenders then hell yes but thats obviously not the case now. no way in hell i see mccoughlan doing this
A first and a third for a guard. Eh, no thanks, move along.
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Comment (0) Tweet me!

do it.

the thing is do we really wanna trade our 13th pick for a guard?? even though hes really good but still no one takes a guard at 13 or trades a guard for that high of pick. ok if were a legit guard away from being down right sb contenders then hell yes but thats obviously not the case now. no way in hell i see mccoughlan doing this

That's a separate issue. Signing him and giving up draft picks won't prevent the Niners from re-signing players like Willis.

My guess is that a team makes a deal with Pats to acquire that player for less then the tender.
Comment (0) Tweet me!

do it.

That's a separate issue. Signing him and giving up draft picks won't prevent the Niners from re-signing players like Willis.

My guess is that a team makes a deal with Pats to acquire that player for less then the tender.

While his deficiencies as a pass rusher are clear, Lawson is excellent against the run and in pass coverage. Playing outside linebacker isn't all about sacks and pressure.

Who says the NFL won't have a salary cap? If the NFL continues on without an agreement, we won't even have football in 2011. Does that mean the team should just go wild and sign every free agent available?

You have absolutely no concept of a team's monetary limitations. Signing someone like Mankins would indeed jeopardize the team's chances of re-signing players. The 49ers do indeed have a budget, just like every other football team.
Originally posted by 9erred:
To my knowledge NE has not franchised or tagged Logan Mankins, so he would a a FA come Thursday night. I would rather commit a 5 year contract to him than Davis Baas. He also went to fresno state, so he might give preference to a California team.

Mankins is a restricted free agent.

That... and $
Comment (0) Tweet me!

do it.

While his deficiencies as a pass rusher are clear, Lawson is excellent against the run and in pass coverage. Playing outside linebacker isn't all about sacks and pressure.

Who says the NFL won't have a salary cap? If the NFL continues on without an agreement, we won't even have football in 2011. Does that mean the team should just go wild and sign every free agent available?

You have absolutely no concept of a team's monetary limitations. Signing someone like Mankins would indeed jeopardize the team's chances of re-signing players. The 49ers do indeed have a budget, just like every other football team.

Wow. Why is it that some fans keep repeating the myth that Lawson is excellent in pass coverage. I guess it's a combination of him sucking as a passrusher (so he must be great at something else right??) and that one interception a few years ago against the Rams. The truth is that Lawson was drafted in the FIRST ROUND to be a pasrusher. He failed miserably at it. In coverage he often looks lost. As for his run defense skills, don't make me laugh. Lawson frequently gets blown up by halfbacks. If an O-lineman get's his hands on Lawson it's over. Lawson has zero passrush moves. He uses his speed to attempt to run around the O-line. Often times this results in him over running the play. Sure every now and then Lawson will make a play but so does your average backup linebacker. He's not worth a big contract. If the Niners can get him cheap then he may have value for depth but worrying about losing him is a joke.

Brooks has already been taking playing time away from Lawson and my hope is that Brooks pushes Lawson off the roster completely soon.

The owners and players agree that if the cap goes away it won't come back. So kiss the salary cap goodbye.

"You have absolutely no concept of a team's monetary limitations"

Yeah, meanwhile the bears are signing Peppers to a contract that guarantees him over 12 million a season for the next three years and I think they threw a ton of cash at Chester Taylor as well. It's not about a budget. It's about the value a team places on a player. If the Niners place high values on Willis and Mankins and feel they are worth big contracts then they can sign both players. The Niners might simply feel Mankins isn't worth his asking price. It would have nothing to do with not being able to re-sign Willis.
  • NickV
  • Veteran
And to think the only reason we got Baas was because the patriots selected Mankins with the pick just before us... (I think)

QFT

I actually I believe we picked rashun woods when Mankins slipped away.
Originally posted by NickV:

QFT

I actually I believe we picked rashun woods when Mankins slipped away.

Nope, Mankins was taken in 2005 with the last pick of the first round. With the first pick of the second, we took David Baas.

Share 49ersWebzone