LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 278 users in the forums

Best QB match-up in the Super Bowl, EVER.

Shop 49ers game tickets

Best QB match-up in the Super Bowl, EVER.

You guys are all wrong, friggin wrong.

It's Dilfer/Collins, I mean c'mon.
QB match ups are overly romanticized in the media and on the WZ. Usually the BEST TEAM WINS. Football is a team sport. And a QB is worthless without a good O LINE, offensive weapons and Defense holding the other team down. Despite popular opinion a QB can't do it all themself.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by YourHuckleberry:
Originally posted by jcs:
I'd replace Unitas/Namath with Brady/Warner.

Unitas was great, Namath wasn't.

Namath is a HOFer

Overrated.

[b]Career Stats
W-L: 77-108
TD-INT: 173-220
QB Rating: 65.5
[/b]
Why this guy is in the Hall of Fame, I have no idea

I suspect it's a combination of several things: he played in New York, he had the "Broadway" persona, and he predicted one of the greatest upsets in NFL history.

He's rubbish

While I agree Nammath does not belong in the HOF. Comparing QB numbers from the 70's and before to the 80's and later are like comparing apples to oranges. I don't know when exactly the rule changes started happening, but I know they started after 1979, the last year I played football in college. In 1979 and before a defensive player could hit someone in the head, and an offensive player could not extend his hands away from his body when blocking. Under rules in 1979 an offensive lineman today would be called for illegal use of hands or holding on every play.. In the old days the rules favored the defense, today the offense.
Also roughing the passer was hardly called, the Qbs of days gone by were just as beat up as the linebackers at the end of the game, which also effects their accuracy.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jcs:
I'd replace Unitas/Namath with Brady/Warner.

Unitas was great, Namath wasn't.

Namath is a HOFer

Overrated.

Career Stats
W-L: 77-108
TD-INT: 173-220
QB Rating: 65.5

Why this guy is in the Hall of Fame, I have no idea

I suspect it's a combination of several things: he played in New York, he had the "Broadway" persona, and he predicted one of the greatest upsets in NFL history.

He's rubbish

I'd also like to point out that Alex Smith is on pace to have a better career statistically than Joe Namath.

Hall of Fame baby!

haha I'm gonna have fun with this. Check out NinerTalk
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Haha can't wait to see the responses for my thread in NinerTalk
At the time the Marino vs Montana match up was the best 2 QB’s ever. We had gone 15-1 and the Dolphins 14-2. The hype before the game was incredible. Montana was already being talked about as one of the greatest QB’s with Marino expected to shatter every passing record known.

We played the game and the Niner defense just destroyed Marino and the Dolphins and we watched as Montana took another step towards becoming the greatest QB to ever play the game.
Brad Johnson/ Rich Gannon
Share 49ersWebzone