LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 150 users in the forums

Nolan Out in Denver?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by fanmusclecars:
Nolan became the scapegoat for Denver's late season collapse. Being 26th against the run certainly didn't help.

Now he's headed to Miami.

dear GOD please do not have this happen. atleast not until after the NFL Draft.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by GEEK:
He probably lands the Dolphins gig.

The guys over on the Broncos forum are quite upset lol

-9fA

link?

linkage

-9fA

thanks for the linkage. what a shame that a 31 yr old numbnut can leave an organization like D. Broncos ruined like the Aztecs.
Originally posted by Negrodamus:
Originally posted by fanmusclecars:
Nolan became the scapegoat for Denver's late season collapse. Being 26th against the run certainly didn't help.

Now he's headed to Miami.

dear GOD please do not have this happen. atleast not until after the NFL Draft.

Wouldn't make much of a difference. The Dolphins are a 3-4 team and will have the same draft needs with or without Nolan.
Originally posted by TheGoldStandard:

I miss that site. I'd like to buy the creator a beer.
That doesn't make much sense at all. The defense was way better than I had expected. Nolan actually did a fine job there.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WheresWaldo:
That doesn't make much sense at all. The defense was way better than I had expected. Nolan actually did a fine job there.

He wanted to run the hybrid system, while McDaniels wanted to run a pure 3-4 D.

It makes sense. I don't understand the hybrid nonsense for a team like the Broncos. The 3-4 worked great, but the hybrid s**t exposed the weaknesses of the defense.

Nolan to Miami - lock it.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Sounds like a power struggle. One thing for sure once you on the outs with McDaniels you are out of the door.

Exactly my thought.[/i]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by crzy:
McDaniels is a f**king idiot.

Mike Nolan was the biggest reason that team started 6-0.

I agree!!!! 7th ranked defense when they were ranked 29th last year, McDaniels is the one that needs to be canned for such a moronic move like this one.
McDaniel's must just rub people the wrong way. Not only do players not want to play there, apparently neither do the coaches want to stay.

-9fA
McDaniel's must just rub people the wrong way. Not only do players not want to play there, apparently neither do the coaches want to stay.

-9fA

the pedigree according to the teachings of Bill Belicheat.

I bet Nolan converts Kory Sheets to CB and he goes to 10 consecutive pro bowls.
One interesting thing...McDaniels and Nolan share the same agent, which explains the hire in the first place. Marriage of convenience, anyone?

Yeah, it was a great 6-0 start, but 2-8 afterwards, with Denver's defense struggling.

Hard to imagine McDaniels and Nolan getting along all that well (no egos involved or anything...naahhh). When Pees came available, I reckon McDaniels must have told Nolan to look for other opportunities or something. If Miami hires him, they'll struggle too with his "hybrid" 3-4/4-3.

As you can tell, Nolan's act still pisses me off. Actually, I hope he gets a head-coaching job...in the UFL.
He's always been an overrated DC/HC. How in the hell are you unsucessful with Champ Bailey, Brian Dawkins, Elvis Dumervil, DJ Williams, Vonnie Holliday, etc. and one of those games you can't even stop JaMarcus Russel? Pathetic. His stupid hybrid defense can't stop the run and that's why his teams always fall apart toward the middle of the season.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Source: Nolan nears deal with Dolphins

The Denver Broncos and defensive coordinator Mike Nolan have agreed to part ways, and a source told ESPN.com's John Clayton that Nolan is close to an agreement to take on the same role with the Miami Dolphins.

Before the split, Miami sent in a request for permission to interview Nolan, sources close to the situation told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter. The parting was friendly and gave Nolan a chance to move on and talk to the Dolphins, the source told Clayton.

The Dolphins fired defensive coordinator Paul Pasqualoni and have struggled to find a quick replacement. The Dolphins' interest in Nolan apparently opened the door for the chance for Nolan to get to Miami.

Nolan becomes the third member of coach Josh McDaniels' inaugural staff to depart following a disappointing 8-8 finish. Offensive line coach Rick Dennison left for Houston's staff and longtime running backs coach Bobby Turner was reunited with Mike Shanahan in Washington. Both Dennison and Turner were holdovers from the Shanahan era.

"I can't say anything other than Josh and I mutually agreed to part ways," Nolan said on Monday, according to The Denver Post.

Nolan, who engineered the Broncos' switch to a 3-4 defensive alignment, was McDaniels' first hire. McDaniels lined up Nolan to help revamp what had been a deplorable defense.

McDaniels said in a statement released Monday by the team: "I have great respect for Mike and wish him success in the future."

As a potential replacement, the Broncos already are discussing former Patriots defensive coordinator Dean Pees, who worked with McDaniels in New England, sources told Schefter.

The Broncos started the season 6-0 and were the talk of the league. Nolan received much of the credit as he turned around a defense that ranked near the bottom of the league in every major category in 2008.

Nolan's scheme shaved 7.8 points a game off a defense that surrendered 28 points a game the previous season.

Then the team went into a free fall, losing eight of their next 10 games to miss the postseason for a fourth straight year.

Now, the Broncos will be searching for their fifth defensive coordinator in five seasons.

After getting fired as head coach of the San Francisco 49ers in 2008, Nolan tried his hand in broadcasting but found himself wanting to return to coaching.

Then McDaniels came calling, offering him a chance to turn around the Broncos' defense that had slid under Shanahan's watch.

Known as a defensive wizard, Nolan jumped at the challenge.

He holed up in his office last offseason as he installed a new look and shuffled around personnel.

Denver gave him the pieces, bringing in perennial Pro Bowler Brian Dawkins to serve as a leader and add a swagger that had been missing. Dawkins sparked the Broncos.

One of the biggest beneficiaries of Nolan's system was Elvis Dumervil, who was able to use his long arms and low center of gravity off the edge of the line as a hybrid defensive end/linebacker. Dumervil turned in a Pro Bowl season as he finished with an NFL-leading and team-record 17 sacks.

Once again, though, Dumervil and his defensive teammates will be under a new defensive boss.

Dumervil will be a restricted a free agent if there's no collective bargaining agreement. Come next season, he will be working for his eighth defensive coordinator in eight seasons, including three at the University of Louisville.

Link

[ Edited by jrg on Jan 18, 2010 at 20:29:59 ]
Originally posted by lamontb:
I bet Nolan converts Kory Sheets to CB and he goes to 10 consecutive pro bowls.

Share 49ersWebzone