There are 165 users in the forums

Tully Banta-Cain

Shop 49ers game tickets
This guy was terrible when he was on our squad. I was watching the games this weekend and I see this player come up with a pick and it's TBC. Then I hear the announcer say that he led the team in sacks this season. Sure enought I checked and he has 10 SACKS!!! Did we give up on him too early or was it that we didn't know how to use him?
Originally posted by socal81:
This guy was terrible when he was on our squad. I was watching the games this weekend and I see this player come up with a pick and it's TBC. Then I hear the announcer say that he led the team in sacks this season. Sure enought I checked and he has 10 SACKS!!! Did we give up on him too early or was it that we didn't know how to use him?

I think the bolded. Although, I would have been curious to see how Manusky would have used him without Nolan.
He sucked! I wouldn't replace any of our guys with him!
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:

I think the bolded. Although, I would have been curious to see how Manusky would have used him without Nolan.

I have been saying this for YEARS now. Manusky's scheme is the most vanilla 3-4 in the game. B/c of continuity in the system, we played solid this year but he does NOT have the exotic attacking schemes most DC's have in this league. TBC is a perfect example of how it may not matter who is playing the WILL or SAM, we just don't use them right. Even if Brooks takes over at the SAM, I don't know if he'll be much more successful then Haralson b/c the scheme is predictable and lacks unpredictability that most 3-4 defenses bring!
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
He sucked! I wouldn't replace any of our guys with him!

I would consider our 3 main OLB's superior to Tully Banta-Cain. He is extremely limited in coverage, and is less than average vs. the run.
Maybe somebody on the Pats actually coached the guy up and made him stop doing that dam spin move I wouldn't want this guy back for anything. One good year isn't that big of a deal.
Tubby played hard cuz that team was going to the playoffs

This scenario has played out time and time again,

Smiley is a pro bowler in Miami
Harvey Dahl played back up OT and starting Guard in Atlanta, got cut by the niners
Kyle Kosier, solid guard for Dallas
Tully Banta Cain got more sacks in NE than any niner this year.
The DT who is starting NT for the broncos now and looking good

Now when Jason Hill WR leaves, he will be a solid PR/KR number 3 WR for another team.

It was mostly Nolan and Company, but this team wastes talent, it is coaching.
Originally posted by 9erred:

Harvey Dahl played back up OT and starting Guard in Atlanta, got cut by the niners

Now when Jason Hill WR leaves, he will be a solid PR/KR number 3 WR for another team.

I agree. And TBC was great with NE BEFORE he came here, sucked here, went back to NE and is GREAT again. That is coaching and scheme...mostly scheme.
Tubby Banta Fatass wasn't dedicated when he was here.

He was a balloon.

Put him in a Pats uni and he's all of a sudden skinnier.

I wouldn't replace any of our LB's with him either.

• GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:

I agree. And TBC was great with NE BEFORE he came here, sucked here, went back to NE and is GREAT again. That is coaching and scheme...mostly scheme.

I think TBC got lazy. His playing weight was around 280. That's D-linemen weight.
Im surprised he has so many sacks. He really has been very bad when i have seen him play.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Maybe somebody on the Pats actually coached the guy up and made him stop doing that dam spin move I wouldn't want this guy back for anything. One good year isn't that big of a deal.

That NEVER worked for him!

I think TBC was pretty average before he came to the Niners. The guy had 8 sacks in 4 years with the pats, and 4 sacks in 2 years with the Niners. That's 12 sacks in 6 seasons. this year he had 10. i think it's just one of those things where he just beasted out for this year. I wouldn't expect to see him continue to put up those numbers. But maybe he just developed, or needed more playing time. Plus let's not forget Franklin wasn't playing this well when TBC was on the field for the Niners.
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:

I have been saying this for YEARS now. Manusky's scheme is the most vanilla 3-4 in the game. B/c of continuity in the system, we played solid this year but he does NOT have the exotic attacking schemes most DC's have in this league. TBC is a perfect example of how it may not matter who is playing the WILL or SAM, we just don't use them right. Even if Brooks takes over at the SAM, I don't know if he'll be much more successful then Haralson b/c the scheme is predictable and lacks unpredictability that most 3-4 defenses bring!

The best 3-4 coaches I've seen are Dick LeBeau, Dom Capers, Wade Phillips, and Bill Belichick. Manusky should break down their schemes and blitz packages.
Also Philly's old coach Jim Johnson who ran a 4-3, had blitzes that came from every angle imaginable.

[ Edited by FunkNinerFlex on Jan 13, 2010 at 10:21:43 ]
Share 49ersWebzone