There are 134 users in the forums

Urban Meyer's famous quote on Alex

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by BHulman:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by YuNGaCE:
Originally posted by pd24:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
okay, so now no more excuses right? He's had time to learn and recover from his shoulder injury.

Thats right. If he fails now we can say he was a bust and move on. I hope he plays like the #1 player taken in the draft.

thats how i feel and i started to bandwagon thread

Same here.

But just think about this for a second. Jim Hostler was once his QB coach and OC.

-9fA

Hostler played DB at a small college. Nice choice for a QB coach.

It's not like he was a coach on the offensive side of the ball for pretty much his entire coaching career. Oh wait, yes he was. I'm not saying he was the best choice for QB coach but he'd been one in college and in the NFL before. It really is not that big of a deal what he played in college considering what he had done through his coaching career. Offensive assistant, running backs coach, receivers coach, QB coach, Offensive Coordinator. Those are the jobs on his coaching resume.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
okay, so now no more excuses right? He's had time to learn and recover from his shoulder injury.

Thats right. If he fails now we can say he was a bust and move on. I hope he plays like the #1 player taken in the draft.

He's likely to fail at Indy but I look at it as more so the rest of the year. Our biggest problem is the O LINE. I don't see how any QB can succeed with that line. I'm sure it will make him look worse than he is.

you are exactly rite. if he has 1 bad game cause oof the Oline everyone on the Zone will call him a bust yada ya....... Give him the rest of the season alex is a better player than hill, once he gets the decision making down he will be just fine.. he has the ability to spread the offense and make is so the defense cant just stack the box every play!
  • dj43
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:

Same here.

But just think about this for a second. Jim Hostler was once his QB coach and OC.

-9fA

that s**t is still so mind boggling to me how the hell do you hire a db to become a qb coach, especially when you had at the time such a raw young qb you picked 1st overall. nolan did everything he couldve to kill alex's career
In 2007 I researched the other QB coaches in the league; of the 32 other teams, 30 had ex-QBs, either pro or college, as their QB coach. The 49ers were one of the two who did NOT have a former player coaching the position. (I don't recall now the other team)

Coaching is under-appreciated in this league. Even the very best college players need a good coach to bring them up to the top level.
  • dj43
Originally posted by Gavintech:

Same here.

-9fA

It's not like he was a coach on the offensive side of the ball for pretty much his entire coaching career. Oh wait, yes he was. I'm not saying he was the best choice for QB coach but he'd been one in college and in the NFL before. It really is not that big of a deal what he played in college considering what he had done through his coaching career. Offensive assistant, running backs coach, receivers coach, QB coach, Offensive Coordinator. Those are the jobs on his coaching resume.
Coaching the position and PLAYING the position is not the same thing. Until you've had the experience first hand, you cannot appreciate the subtle nuances it takes to play the position.

QB is the most important, and the most nuanced position in the game. The fact that Smith made little progress under Hostler, and appears to be a completely different player MECHANICALLY under Johnson speaks volumes.
Originally posted by dj43:

Same here.

-9fA

Coaching the position and PLAYING the position is not the same thing. Until you've had the experience first hand, you cannot appreciate the subtle nuances it takes to play the position.

QB is the most important, and the most nuanced position in the game. The fact that Smith made little progress under Hostler, and appears to be a completely different player MECHANICALLY under Johnson speaks volumes.

I'm not trying to say Mike Johnson isn't a better QB coach than Jim Hoster, just that it's kind of lame to look at what he played in college when he'd been an offensive coach for over a decade before that. The 49ers were not the 1st (or 2nd) team to give him a job as a quarterbacks coach.

Mike Martz played Tight End in college. People consider him a genius when he gets his hands on a QB.

P.S. aside from 30 minutes this season, Smith made ALL his progress under Hostler. He was the only QB coach he had in the NFL in the seasons he actually played in real games.
  • dj43

Same here.

-9fA

I'm not trying to say Mike Johnson isn't a better QB coach than Jim Hoster, just that it's kind of lame to look at what he played in college when he'd been an offensive coach for over a decade before that. The 49ers were not the 1st (or 2nd) team to give him a job as a quarterbacks coach.

Mike Martz played Tight End in college. People consider him a genius when he gets his hands on a QB.

P.S. aside from 30 minutes this season, Smith made ALL his progress under Hostler. He was the only QB coach he had in the NFL in the seasons he actually played in real games.
Which was very little. There were several leaks about comments Smith made that he didn't know what he was doing, or he wasn't getting any help with problems he had...

Martz said Smith had a lot of flaws to fix.

I don't think I need to say much here to establish the fact Hostler wasn't a good coach...that has already been established.

Which was very little. There were several leaks about comments Smith made that he didn't know what he was doing, or he wasn't getting any help with problems he had...

Martz said Smith had a lot of flaws to fix.

I don't think I need to say much here to establish the fact Hostler wasn't a good coach...that has already been established.

Again, I'm not trying to say that Hostler was a good coach, just that it's not that out of the ordinary that he was hired as a QB coach. He'd been an offensive coach for 15 years and had been a QB coach for an NFL team before.
Which was very little.

The progress Alex made from 05' to 06' was obvious and dramatic! I would not say it was due to the tutelage of Jim Hostler in any way but to say he made very little progress while Hostler was the QB coach is ridiculous.
Which was very little.

The progress Alex made from 05' to 06' was obvious and dramatic! I would not say it was due to the tutelage of Jim Hostler in any way but to say he made very little progress while Hostler was the QB coach is ridiculous.

norv turner
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
Which was very little.

norv turner

that is my thought as well.

Norv Turner no doubt about it. The whole problem with hostler as his coach is you have a 1 pick of qb that played in a spread offense, so instead of getting a veteran qb coach to teach him you give him an ex D.B. Makes zero sense after all the money invested wouldnt you want the best possible to teach him? I know I would have.
I think Mike Johnson has done a great job with our quarterbacks.
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by FourNine49:
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
Originally posted by TheSixthRing:
Originally posted by DJD:
"Alex is an extremely quick learner. However, he's a guy that, until he understands it, he is nonfunctional. He is a guy that -- I keep hearing how Brett Favre kind of makes something out of nothing and is a person that runs around to make a play -- Alex Smith is not that kind of player. Alex Smith is a person that, once he is taught, has to learn it all. He might struggle early, but once he gets it, he gets it."

And the good thing is, it only takes like 20 minutes to learn all of Jimmy Raye's playbook!

took Crabtree less i think

Not to hard when his playbook is on a 3X5 card

I say a 2x4 card

is there even such a thing

You guys have no idea WHAT you're talking about. It's on a 3x3 post it note
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
"Alex is an extremely quick learner. However, he's a guy that, until he understands it, he is nonfunctional. He is a guy that -- I keep hearing how Brett Favre kind of makes something out of nothing and is a person that runs around to make a play -- Alex Smith is not that kind of player. Alex Smith is a person that, once he is taught, has to learn it all. He might struggle early, but once he gets it, he gets it."

And the good thing is, it only takes like 20 minutes to learn all of Jimmy Raye's playbook!

I say a 2x4 card

looked like that when hill was QB but after alex was Qb looked like 100 pages
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

I say a 2x4 card

looked like that when hill was QB but after alex was Qb looked like 100 pages

I think that expressed the confidence they had in Hill compared to Smith
Share 49ersWebzone