LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 255 users in the forums

Kevin Kolb

Shop 49ers game tickets
Kevin Kolb with McDaniel as the OC could be an interesting combination
I'd definitely be down for Kolb in 2010.
Originally posted by abowers1984:

Kind of opposite fits. Kolbs a pure, pure west coast qb in the nfl. Sure he ran spread in college and mcDaniels runs alot of that but its a different style of spread. Lots of verticle passing in McDaniels playbook, definitely not a match for Kolb.
Originally posted by abowers1984:

No no no no no! If we're going to bring in Kolb we're going to bring in a coach who runs an offensive scheme very close to what he runs in Philly. The guy has spent 4 years learning the same system, it would be dumb to trade for them and then put him in a completely different system.
Originally posted by NickSh49:
I'd definitely be down for Kolb in 2010.

Yeah I think he is the best QB available if he even becomes available.
I like Kolb with Harbaugh if the team doesn't have the huge balls needed to get Luck. That is of course contingent on getting Harbaugh in the 1st place, and I think Philly is likely to overprice his value.

[ Edited by WINiner on Dec 23, 2010 at 19:30:15 ]
  • sfout
  • Veteran
This is my attempt to once and for all get it out there that Kolb is just another "Alex Smith" and only benefits from 2 years of back up and 2 full years under the same system before seeing meaningful action over the last 2 years.

Kolb is incredibly Alex Smithian. As Lil Wayne says "numbers don't lie"

52 games is 2.89 x more then Kolb's so in theory let's multiply all of Kolb's stats by 2.89 and assume he keeps this level of play up.

In 18 games his career stats are

Completes: 176 / 283 x 2.89 = 509 / 818

Percentage: 62.2 = 62.9 percenage wont change

Yards Per ATT: 6.2 = cant guess YPA

Yards: 1920 x 2.89 = 5549

TD: 10 x 2.89 = 29

INT: 11 x 2.89 = 32

Fumbles: 6 = 18

Career Rating: 77.8

Alex has played in 52 games, nearly 3x the amount of Kolb and his stats are

Completions: 839 / 1470

Percentage: 57.1

Yards: 9003

Yards Per ATT: 6.1

TD: 49

INT: 53

Fumbles: 27

Career Rating: 71.3

I don't know the intricacies of QB ratings and this is a fairly elementary but just as this is unlikely it is also very likely and I would say lets just keep Alex and not pay someone else a sh*t ton of money to be a stopgap. I hope this pulled the E-brake on the Kolb Bandwagon....I do want to be perfectly clear that I want a new QB next year, just not Kolb.

[ Edited by sfout on Dec 24, 2010 at 01:15:34 ]
"A young quarterback needs time to mature as he grows in the game. I don't think Kolb has lost one thing. He's a franchise quarterback. He will win games, and championships, for the Eagles." ~Andy Reid, September, 2010

So we can take your opinion/analysis, or we can take the word of the guy who sees him every day. I know, I'm a fool for not taking your side on this, but you'll just have to forgive me if I lean towards the guy who actually coaches him.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
"A young quarterback needs time to mature as he grows in the game. I don't think Kolb has lost one thing. He's a franchise quarterback. He will win games, and championships, for the Eagles." ~Andy Reid, September, 2010

So we can take your opinion/analysis, or we can take the word of the guy who sees him every day. I know, I'm a fool for not taking your side on this, but you'll just have to forgive me if I lean towards the guy who actually coaches him.

I take anything a coach says about one of his own players with a grain of salt, probably because I've heard all the praise from Sing, Norv, and the gang about Alex over the years. Kolb won't be winning championships or many games for that matter with the Eagles. It doesn't hurt spending those years with Andy Reid though.
you hurt your argument with this " and assume he keeps this level of play up."

some players get better some get worse some stay the same. haven't him play accept against the niners so take it for what its worth. let the debate begin

Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

I take anything a coach says about one of his own players with a grain of salt, probably because I've heard all the praise from Sing, Norv, and the gang about Alex over the years. Kolb won't be winning championships or many games for that matter with the Eagles. It doesn't hurt spending those years with Andy Reid though.

People seem to forget that the reason they traded McNabb wasn't because of Vick (he didn't play/throw much last year). He was traded because Reid thought enough of Kolb to let McNabb go, and to name him the starter over Vick.

Sure, that's a little hype, but make no mistake, Reid thinks very highly of Kolb. The only reason he's sitting is because Vick is playing the best football of his career right now by far, and you don't change what's working as you march towards the playoffs.
Originally posted by Allx9er:

some players get better some get worse some stay the same. haven't him play accept against the niners so take it for what its worth. let the debate begin

Don't even get me started on that statement.
Originally posted by Allx9er:

Don't even get me started on that statement.

too late
  • sfout
  • Veteran
So you think he is worth. probably 2 picks and a player? I really don't think so. There are variables obviously but I think after 4 years of being in the same system he has probably peaked. Sure he'll learn from ingame experience but I don't he can learn much else then what he already knows. Also don't be so tactful "reid is only benching him because vick is playing amazing" -- translation my 1st string isn't as good as my 2nd string. Losing a starting job to injury is just the coaches excuse to oh the this guy is obviously better so I'll use him instead. He flat out says it. He is just hanging Kolb out there so some foolish team like the 9ers, Seahawks, Jags, or Panthers will throw everything at him for him.
Its pretty dumb to take such a small sample size in Kolbs and compare it to such a large one in Alex Smith's because Kolb is still learning and still has a lot of upside, THAT'S why people like him.

One upon a time there was this kid named Matt Schaub who had started 2 games in the NFL in 3 seasons, and yet the Texans gave up two 2nd round picks for him. That worked out pretty well. Now, if Kolb will ever been a franchise qb, I don't know, but comparing him to Alex Smith based on 5 games of experience is just dumb.
Share 49ersWebzone