49ers vs. Seahawks Tickets Available! →

There are 510 users in the forums

OFFICIAL: The Shaun Hill Starship

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Squirrel:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Squirrel:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Squirrel:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Squirrel:
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Originally posted by Squirrel:
Really? People are happy with Hill? Yeah, he's winning for us, but is he the kind of guy that can put the team on his back and carry it to the win? I don't think so.

He's not great. I want a quarterback who opposing teams have to worry about, and right now, we do not have that on the roster.

I just don't understand how anyone can be happy with the kind of production we get our of Hill (and Smith, for that matter).


Ummmm, are you watching the same games as the rest of us ? When Hill drove us down the field last week, passing on 15/18 plays on the drive (including the gamewinning TD pass), you didnt consider that "putting the team on his back" ?

Sure, we were ahead today going into the 4th. But when passes his way down the field goal to set up a final score that the Hawks cannot match, you dont consider that leadership ability ?

Yeah, I too would like to see the Niners mix up the playcalling, so we could see a little more of Hill earlier on in the games. But as of now, the Niners are adamant in pounding the ball until defenses cave the box, and then let Hill make the plays he needs to win.

Orthodox ? No. Efficient ? Yes.

I'm sorry, but constantly throwing underneath is not going to bring us back from a 14-point deficit in the 4th quarter. At some point this season, Hill is going to have to make the throws deep to the wide open receievers (that he had on multiple occaisions on Sunday).

Don't get me wrong: I'm glad we won on Sunday. I'm just sick of people riding Hill's nuts when he's only marginally better than Smith. Our quarterback situation sucks right now and it has since Garcia was forced out.

You mean like how he brought us back down two scores with 5 or so minutes left against the Rams last year? Or when he was an OC eff-up away from bringing us back against the Cardinals last year.

Hill does what needs to be done.


Yeah, and the Rams have a killer defense, don't they?

Like I said, you keep dissmissing his stats from last year in only 8 games.


Like I said: you are so totally biased towards Hill that you are incapable of comprehending the facts about him. The guy is a backup. A really good backup, but he is not an elite quarterback by any shades of the imagination.

Um, hate to mention it to you, but the guy is a starter. He WAS a backup as many other QBs were.


Wow, Cool, I thought you were smarter than that. Just because the team made him the starter doesn't mean he should be. Any other team in the league, and he'd be a back up. Hell, I hope he's the back up next year for us.

To the bold:

In QB Rating this year, Hill is better than 18 QBs putting him 14th rank.

In Passing Percentage, Hill is better than 22 QBs putting him 10th rank.
Originally posted by Squirrel:
Originally posted by D_Niner:

But what are we talking about; 1 game, maybe 2 games per year... It's not like this is a frequent occurrence.


I should also add that I really don't think we can with Smith at the helm.

I really miss Garcia, Young and Montana. . . . Those were the days when we had a competent quarterback.

Now that's something we can all agree with...
Can someone take this and put Shaun's name over the "Great Space Coaster" part?



Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Squirrel:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Squirrel:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Squirrel:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Squirrel:
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Originally posted by Squirrel:
Really? People are happy with Hill? Yeah, he's winning for us, but is he the kind of guy that can put the team on his back and carry it to the win? I don't think so.

He's not great. I want a quarterback who opposing teams have to worry about, and right now, we do not have that on the roster.

I just don't understand how anyone can be happy with the kind of production we get our of Hill (and Smith, for that matter).


Ummmm, are you watching the same games as the rest of us ? When Hill drove us down the field last week, passing on 15/18 plays on the drive (including the gamewinning TD pass), you didnt consider that "putting the team on his back" ?

Sure, we were ahead today going into the 4th. But when passes his way down the field goal to set up a final score that the Hawks cannot match, you dont consider that leadership ability ?

Yeah, I too would like to see the Niners mix up the playcalling, so we could see a little more of Hill earlier on in the games. But as of now, the Niners are adamant in pounding the ball until defenses cave the box, and then let Hill make the plays he needs to win.

Orthodox ? No. Efficient ? Yes.

I'm sorry, but constantly throwing underneath is not going to bring us back from a 14-point deficit in the 4th quarter. At some point this season, Hill is going to have to make the throws deep to the wide open receievers (that he had on multiple occaisions on Sunday).

Don't get me wrong: I'm glad we won on Sunday. I'm just sick of people riding Hill's nuts when he's only marginally better than Smith. Our quarterback situation sucks right now and it has since Garcia was forced out.

You mean like how he brought us back down two scores with 5 or so minutes left against the Rams last year? Or when he was an OC eff-up away from bringing us back against the Cardinals last year.

Hill does what needs to be done.


Yeah, and the Rams have a killer defense, don't they?

Like I said, you keep dissmissing his stats from last year in only 8 games.


Like I said: you are so totally biased towards Hill that you are incapable of comprehending the facts about him. The guy is a backup. A really good backup, but he is not an elite quarterback by any shades of the imagination.

Um, hate to mention it to you, but the guy is a starter. He WAS a backup as many other QBs were.


Wow, Cool, I thought you were smarter than that. Just because the team made him the starter doesn't mean he should be. Any other team in the league, and he'd be a back up. Hell, I hope he's the back up next year for us.

To the bold:

In QB Rating this year, Hill is better than 18 QBs putting him 14th rank.

In Passing Percentage, Hill is better than 22 QBs putting him 10th rank.

Joecool, mr. squirrel over here does not get it. Hill is 9-3 as a starter. Alex Smith is what? 13-21 as a starter (2005, 2006, beginning of 2007 before he got hurt (alexcuse). Didn't even play in 2008.

You call this marginally better than Smith? Ummmmmm, what are you smoking squirrel? Our defense is pretty damn good, our running game is getting better, and Shaun Hill is managing his way to victories. We're 2-0 homie.

Go Shaun Hill.
Originally posted by bigmike55:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Squirrel:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Squirrel:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Squirrel:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Squirrel:
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Originally posted by Squirrel:
Really? People are happy with Hill? Yeah, he's winning for us, but is he the kind of guy that can put the team on his back and carry it to the win? I don't think so.

He's not great. I want a quarterback who opposing teams have to worry about, and right now, we do not have that on the roster.

I just don't understand how anyone can be happy with the kind of production we get our of Hill (and Smith, for that matter).


Ummmm, are you watching the same games as the rest of us ? When Hill drove us down the field last week, passing on 15/18 plays on the drive (including the gamewinning TD pass), you didnt consider that "putting the team on his back" ?

Sure, we were ahead today going into the 4th. But when passes his way down the field goal to set up a final score that the Hawks cannot match, you dont consider that leadership ability ?

Yeah, I too would like to see the Niners mix up the playcalling, so we could see a little more of Hill earlier on in the games. But as of now, the Niners are adamant in pounding the ball until defenses cave the box, and then let Hill make the plays he needs to win.

Orthodox ? No. Efficient ? Yes.

I'm sorry, but constantly throwing underneath is not going to bring us back from a 14-point deficit in the 4th quarter. At some point this season, Hill is going to have to make the throws deep to the wide open receievers (that he had on multiple occaisions on Sunday).

Don't get me wrong: I'm glad we won on Sunday. I'm just sick of people riding Hill's nuts when he's only marginally better than Smith. Our quarterback situation sucks right now and it has since Garcia was forced out.

You mean like how he brought us back down two scores with 5 or so minutes left against the Rams last year? Or when he was an OC eff-up away from bringing us back against the Cardinals last year.

Hill does what needs to be done.


Yeah, and the Rams have a killer defense, don't they?

Like I said, you keep dissmissing his stats from last year in only 8 games.


Like I said: you are so totally biased towards Hill that you are incapable of comprehending the facts about him. The guy is a backup. A really good backup, but he is not an elite quarterback by any shades of the imagination.

Um, hate to mention it to you, but the guy is a starter. He WAS a backup as many other QBs were.


Wow, Cool, I thought you were smarter than that. Just because the team made him the starter doesn't mean he should be. Any other team in the league, and he'd be a back up. Hell, I hope he's the back up next year for us.

To the bold:

In QB Rating this year, Hill is better than 18 QBs putting him 14th rank.

In Passing Percentage, Hill is better than 22 QBs putting him 10th rank.

Joecool, mr. squirrel over here does not get it. Hill is 9-3 as a starter. Alex Smith is what? 13-21 as a starter (2005, 2006, beginning of 2007 before he got hurt (alexcuse). Didn't even play in 2008.

You call this marginally better than Smith? Ummmmmm, what are you smoking squirrel? Our defense is pretty damn good, our running game is getting better, and Shaun Hill is managing his way to victories. We're 2-0 homie.

Go Shaun Hill.

I'm not sure Smith has the type of nutz this Squirrel likes... Hill is the best QB on our team; but, he's not up to the standards of our previous greats. Maybe, in time, he'll get there...
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 67,113
Originally posted by D_Niner:
Originally posted by Squirrel:
Originally posted by D_Niner:

But what are we talking about; 1 game, maybe 2 games per year... It's not like this is a frequent occurrence.


I should also add that I really don't think we can with Smith at the helm.

I really miss Garcia, Young and Montana. . . . Those were the days when we had a competent quarterback.

Now that's something we can all agree with...

Well if you really miss Garcia, then you shouldn't be complaining about the dinks and dunks then. Garcia dinked and dunked for two years, until he was comfortable in the WCO, Beasley and Garner accounted for 90-100 receptions in both '99 and 2000.
Originally posted by bigmike55:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Squirrel:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Squirrel:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Squirrel:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Squirrel:
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Originally posted by Squirrel:
Really? People are happy with Hill? Yeah, he's winning for us, but is he the kind of guy that can put the team on his back and carry it to the win? I don't think so.

He's not great. I want a quarterback who opposing teams have to worry about, and right now, we do not have that on the roster.

I just don't understand how anyone can be happy with the kind of production we get our of Hill (and Smith, for that matter).


Ummmm, are you watching the same games as the rest of us ? When Hill drove us down the field last week, passing on 15/18 plays on the drive (including the gamewinning TD pass), you didnt consider that "putting the team on his back" ?

Sure, we were ahead today going into the 4th. But when passes his way down the field goal to set up a final score that the Hawks cannot match, you dont consider that leadership ability ?

Yeah, I too would like to see the Niners mix up the playcalling, so we could see a little more of Hill earlier on in the games. But as of now, the Niners are adamant in pounding the ball until defenses cave the box, and then let Hill make the plays he needs to win.

Orthodox ? No. Efficient ? Yes.

I'm sorry, but constantly throwing underneath is not going to bring us back from a 14-point deficit in the 4th quarter. At some point this season, Hill is going to have to make the throws deep to the wide open receievers (that he had on multiple occaisions on Sunday).

Don't get me wrong: I'm glad we won on Sunday. I'm just sick of people riding Hill's nuts when he's only marginally better than Smith. Our quarterback situation sucks right now and it has since Garcia was forced out.

You mean like how he brought us back down two scores with 5 or so minutes left against the Rams last year? Or when he was an OC eff-up away from bringing us back against the Cardinals last year.

Hill does what needs to be done.


Yeah, and the Rams have a killer defense, don't they?

Like I said, you keep dissmissing his stats from last year in only 8 games.


Like I said: you are so totally biased towards Hill that you are incapable of comprehending the facts about him. The guy is a backup. A really good backup, but he is not an elite quarterback by any shades of the imagination.

Um, hate to mention it to you, but the guy is a starter. He WAS a backup as many other QBs were.


Wow, Cool, I thought you were smarter than that. Just because the team made him the starter doesn't mean he should be. Any other team in the league, and he'd be a back up. Hell, I hope he's the back up next year for us.

To the bold:

In QB Rating this year, Hill is better than 18 QBs putting him 14th rank.

In Passing Percentage, Hill is better than 22 QBs putting him 10th rank.

Joecool, mr. squirrel over here does not get it. Hill is 9-3 as a starter. Alex Smith is what? 13-21 as a starter (2005, 2006, beginning of 2007 before he got hurt (alexcuse). Didn't even play in 2008.

You call this marginally better than Smith? Ummmmmm, what are you smoking squirrel? Our defense is pretty damn good, our running game is getting better, and Shaun Hill is managing his way to victories. We're 2-0 homie.

Go Shaun Hill.


You keep on lovin' your boy Hill. When he drops some games against better teams, I'll still be here pointing out that the guy is a great backup, but not a long-term solution. In fact, our top two quarterbacks aren't long-term solutions.
Originally posted by bigmike55:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Squirrel:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Squirrel:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Squirrel:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Squirrel:
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Originally posted by Squirrel:
Really? People are happy with Hill? Yeah, he's winning for us, but is he the kind of guy that can put the team on his back and carry it to the win? I don't think so.

He's not great. I want a quarterback who opposing teams have to worry about, and right now, we do not have that on the roster.

I just don't understand how anyone can be happy with the kind of production we get our of Hill (and Smith, for that matter).


Ummmm, are you watching the same games as the rest of us ? When Hill drove us down the field last week, passing on 15/18 plays on the drive (including the gamewinning TD pass), you didnt consider that "putting the team on his back" ?

Sure, we were ahead today going into the 4th. But when passes his way down the field goal to set up a final score that the Hawks cannot match, you dont consider that leadership ability ?

Yeah, I too would like to see the Niners mix up the playcalling, so we could see a little more of Hill earlier on in the games. But as of now, the Niners are adamant in pounding the ball until defenses cave the box, and then let Hill make the plays he needs to win.

Orthodox ? No. Efficient ? Yes.

I'm sorry, but constantly throwing underneath is not going to bring us back from a 14-point deficit in the 4th quarter. At some point this season, Hill is going to have to make the throws deep to the wide open receievers (that he had on multiple occaisions on Sunday).

Don't get me wrong: I'm glad we won on Sunday. I'm just sick of people riding Hill's nuts when he's only marginally better than Smith. Our quarterback situation sucks right now and it has since Garcia was forced out.

You mean like how he brought us back down two scores with 5 or so minutes left against the Rams last year? Or when he was an OC eff-up away from bringing us back against the Cardinals last year.

Hill does what needs to be done.


Yeah, and the Rams have a killer defense, don't they?

Like I said, you keep dissmissing his stats from last year in only 8 games.


Like I said: you are so totally biased towards Hill that you are incapable of comprehending the facts about him. The guy is a backup. A really good backup, but he is not an elite quarterback by any shades of the imagination.

Um, hate to mention it to you, but the guy is a starter. He WAS a backup as many other QBs were.


Wow, Cool, I thought you were smarter than that. Just because the team made him the starter doesn't mean he should be. Any other team in the league, and he'd be a back up. Hell, I hope he's the back up next year for us.

To the bold:

In QB Rating this year, Hill is better than 18 QBs putting him 14th rank.

In Passing Percentage, Hill is better than 22 QBs putting him 10th rank.

Joecool, mr. squirrel over here does not get it. Hill is 9-3 as a starter. Alex Smith is what? 13-21 as a starter (2005, 2006, beginning of 2007 before he got hurt (alexcuse). Didn't even play in 2008.

You call this marginally better than Smith? Ummmmmm, what are you smoking squirrel? Our defense is pretty damn good, our running game is getting better, and Shaun Hill is managing his way to victories. We're 2-0 homie.

Go Shaun Hill.


You must have a reading comprehension problem. I've repeatedly said that I think neither Hill nor Smith should be starting for this team.

And, I even said that while 2-0 is great, I don't think Hill is going to get it done against some of the better teams.

Now, do you understand?
Originally posted by Squirrel:
Originally posted by bigmike55:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Squirrel:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Squirrel:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Squirrel:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Squirrel:
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Originally posted by Squirrel:
Really? People are happy with Hill? Yeah, he's winning for us, but is he the kind of guy that can put the team on his back and carry it to the win? I don't think so.

He's not great. I want a quarterback who opposing teams have to worry about, and right now, we do not have that on the roster.

I just don't understand how anyone can be happy with the kind of production we get our of Hill (and Smith, for that matter).


Ummmm, are you watching the same games as the rest of us ? When Hill drove us down the field last week, passing on 15/18 plays on the drive (including the gamewinning TD pass), you didnt consider that "putting the team on his back" ?

Sure, we were ahead today going into the 4th. But when passes his way down the field goal to set up a final score that the Hawks cannot match, you dont consider that leadership ability ?

Yeah, I too would like to see the Niners mix up the playcalling, so we could see a little more of Hill earlier on in the games. But as of now, the Niners are adamant in pounding the ball until defenses cave the box, and then let Hill make the plays he needs to win.

Orthodox ? No. Efficient ? Yes.

I'm sorry, but constantly throwing underneath is not going to bring us back from a 14-point deficit in the 4th quarter. At some point this season, Hill is going to have to make the throws deep to the wide open receievers (that he had on multiple occaisions on Sunday).

Don't get me wrong: I'm glad we won on Sunday. I'm just sick of people riding Hill's nuts when he's only marginally better than Smith. Our quarterback situation sucks right now and it has since Garcia was forced out.

You mean like how he brought us back down two scores with 5 or so minutes left against the Rams last year? Or when he was an OC eff-up away from bringing us back against the Cardinals last year.

Hill does what needs to be done.


Yeah, and the Rams have a killer defense, don't they?

Like I said, you keep dissmissing his stats from last year in only 8 games.


Like I said: you are so totally biased towards Hill that you are incapable of comprehending the facts about him. The guy is a backup. A really good backup, but he is not an elite quarterback by any shades of the imagination.

Um, hate to mention it to you, but the guy is a starter. He WAS a backup as many other QBs were.


Wow, Cool, I thought you were smarter than that. Just because the team made him the starter doesn't mean he should be. Any other team in the league, and he'd be a back up. Hell, I hope he's the back up next year for us.

To the bold:

In QB Rating this year, Hill is better than 18 QBs putting him 14th rank.

In Passing Percentage, Hill is better than 22 QBs putting him 10th rank.

Joecool, mr. squirrel over here does not get it. Hill is 9-3 as a starter. Alex Smith is what? 13-21 as a starter (2005, 2006, beginning of 2007 before he got hurt (alexcuse). Didn't even play in 2008.

You call this marginally better than Smith? Ummmmmm, what are you smoking squirrel? Our defense is pretty damn good, our running game is getting better, and Shaun Hill is managing his way to victories. We're 2-0 homie.

Go Shaun Hill.


You keep on lovin' your boy Hill. When he drops some games against better teams, I'll still be here pointing out that the guy is a great backup, but not a long-term solution. In fact, our top two quarterbacks aren't long-term solutions.

was Rich Gannon a long term solution for the Raiders......do you think they would rather trade the years he played for their team for a potential of a franchise QB....like say JaMarcuss or Alex?

I wonder if the Rams would like to go back in time and have Trent Green back there instead of Warner all those years.....

or the Patriots having the franchise 1st round QB in Drew Bledsoe instead of replacing him with a 6th round draft pick QB.

edit- I'm not saying Shaun is better than these QBs.....just that you don't have to waste lots of money and investment (1st rd pick) just to find the QB of the future, like some want to do in next years draft.....

Like I have been saying for a while now...Shaun reminds me of Rich Gannon....field general who didn't have a Cannon but made the plays to help his team win.... Rich just had a better OC in Oakland.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Sep 21, 2009 at 2:20 PM ]
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by Squirrel:
Originally posted by bigmike55:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Squirrel:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Squirrel:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Squirrel:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Squirrel:
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Originally posted by Squirrel:
Really? People are happy with Hill? Yeah, he's winning for us, but is he the kind of guy that can put the team on his back and carry it to the win? I don't think so.

He's not great. I want a quarterback who opposing teams have to worry about, and right now, we do not have that on the roster.

I just don't understand how anyone can be happy with the kind of production we get our of Hill (and Smith, for that matter).


Ummmm, are you watching the same games as the rest of us ? When Hill drove us down the field last week, passing on 15/18 plays on the drive (including the gamewinning TD pass), you didnt consider that "putting the team on his back" ?

Sure, we were ahead today going into the 4th. But when passes his way down the field goal to set up a final score that the Hawks cannot match, you dont consider that leadership ability ?

Yeah, I too would like to see the Niners mix up the playcalling, so we could see a little more of Hill earlier on in the games. But as of now, the Niners are adamant in pounding the ball until defenses cave the box, and then let Hill make the plays he needs to win.

Orthodox ? No. Efficient ? Yes.

I'm sorry, but constantly throwing underneath is not going to bring us back from a 14-point deficit in the 4th quarter. At some point this season, Hill is going to have to make the throws deep to the wide open receievers (that he had on multiple occaisions on Sunday).

Don't get me wrong: I'm glad we won on Sunday. I'm just sick of people riding Hill's nuts when he's only marginally better than Smith. Our quarterback situation sucks right now and it has since Garcia was forced out.

You mean like how he brought us back down two scores with 5 or so minutes left against the Rams last year? Or when he was an OC eff-up away from bringing us back against the Cardinals last year.

Hill does what needs to be done.


Yeah, and the Rams have a killer defense, don't they?

Like I said, you keep dissmissing his stats from last year in only 8 games.


Like I said: you are so totally biased towards Hill that you are incapable of comprehending the facts about him. The guy is a backup. A really good backup, but he is not an elite quarterback by any shades of the imagination.

Um, hate to mention it to you, but the guy is a starter. He WAS a backup as many other QBs were.


Wow, Cool, I thought you were smarter than that. Just because the team made him the starter doesn't mean he should be. Any other team in the league, and he'd be a back up. Hell, I hope he's the back up next year for us.

To the bold:

In QB Rating this year, Hill is better than 18 QBs putting him 14th rank.

In Passing Percentage, Hill is better than 22 QBs putting him 10th rank.

Joecool, mr. squirrel over here does not get it. Hill is 9-3 as a starter. Alex Smith is what? 13-21 as a starter (2005, 2006, beginning of 2007 before he got hurt (alexcuse). Didn't even play in 2008.

You call this marginally better than Smith? Ummmmmm, what are you smoking squirrel? Our defense is pretty damn good, our running game is getting better, and Shaun Hill is managing his way to victories. We're 2-0 homie.

Go Shaun Hill.


You keep on lovin' your boy Hill. When he drops some games against better teams, I'll still be here pointing out that the guy is a great backup, but not a long-term solution. In fact, our top two quarterbacks aren't long-term solutions.

was Rich Gannon a long term solution for the Raiders......do you think they would rather trade the years he played for their team for a potential of a franchise QB....like say JaMarcuss or Alex?

I wonder if the Rams would like to go back in time and have Trent Green back there instead of Warner all those years.....

or the Patriots having the franchise 1st round QB in Drew Bledsoe instead of replacing him with a 6th round draft pick QB.

edit- I'm not saying Shaun is better than these QBs.....just that you don't have to waste lots of money and investment (1st rd pick) just to find the QB of the future, like some want to do in next years draft.....

Like I have been saying for a while now...Shaun reminds me of Rich Gannon....field general who didn't have a Cannon but made the plays to help his team win.... Rich just had a better OC in Oakland.

Damn good post.
Just wait until Shaun masters the offense. He will be moving the defense around so bad, it's going to be funny. Dude's a true leader.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by D_Niner:
Originally posted by Squirrel:
Originally posted by D_Niner:

But what are we talking about; 1 game, maybe 2 games per year... It's not like this is a frequent occurrence.


I should also add that I really don't think we can with Smith at the helm.

I really miss Garcia, Young and Montana. . . . Those were the days when we had a competent quarterback.

Now that's something we can all agree with...

Well if you really miss Garcia, then you shouldn't be complaining about the dinks and dunks then. Garcia dinked and dunked for two years, until he was comfortable in the WCO, Beasley and Garner accounted for 90-100 receptions in both '99 and 2000.

When have I ever complained about the dinks and dunks?
  • ZRF80
  • Member
  • Posts: 13,551
Originally posted by Squirrel:
Originally posted by bigmike55:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Squirrel:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Squirrel:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Squirrel:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Squirrel:
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Originally posted by Squirrel:
Really? People are happy with Hill? Yeah, he's winning for us, but is he the kind of guy that can put the team on his back and carry it to the win? I don't think so.

He's not great. I want a quarterback who opposing teams have to worry about, and right now, we do not have that on the roster.

I just don't understand how anyone can be happy with the kind of production we get our of Hill (and Smith, for that matter).


Ummmm, are you watching the same games as the rest of us ? When Hill drove us down the field last week, passing on 15/18 plays on the drive (including the gamewinning TD pass), you didnt consider that "putting the team on his back" ?

Sure, we were ahead today going into the 4th. But when passes his way down the field goal to set up a final score that the Hawks cannot match, you dont consider that leadership ability ?

Yeah, I too would like to see the Niners mix up the playcalling, so we could see a little more of Hill earlier on in the games. But as of now, the Niners are adamant in pounding the ball until defenses cave the box, and then let Hill make the plays he needs to win.

Orthodox ? No. Efficient ? Yes.

I'm sorry, but constantly throwing underneath is not going to bring us back from a 14-point deficit in the 4th quarter. At some point this season, Hill is going to have to make the throws deep to the wide open receievers (that he had on multiple occaisions on Sunday).

Don't get me wrong: I'm glad we won on Sunday. I'm just sick of people riding Hill's nuts when he's only marginally better than Smith. Our quarterback situation sucks right now and it has since Garcia was forced out.

You mean like how he brought us back down two scores with 5 or so minutes left against the Rams last year? Or when he was an OC eff-up away from bringing us back against the Cardinals last year.

Hill does what needs to be done.


Yeah, and the Rams have a killer defense, don't they?

Like I said, you keep dissmissing his stats from last year in only 8 games.


Like I said: you are so totally biased towards Hill that you are incapable of comprehending the facts about him. The guy is a backup. A really good backup, but he is not an elite quarterback by any shades of the imagination.

Um, hate to mention it to you, but the guy is a starter. He WAS a backup as many other QBs were.


Wow, Cool, I thought you were smarter than that. Just because the team made him the starter doesn't mean he should be. Any other team in the league, and he'd be a back up. Hell, I hope he's the back up next year for us.

To the bold:

In QB Rating this year, Hill is better than 18 QBs putting him 14th rank.

In Passing Percentage, Hill is better than 22 QBs putting him 10th rank.

Joecool, mr. squirrel over here does not get it. Hill is 9-3 as a starter. Alex Smith is what? 13-21 as a starter (2005, 2006, beginning of 2007 before he got hurt (alexcuse). Didn't even play in 2008.

You call this marginally better than Smith? Ummmmmm, what are you smoking squirrel? Our defense is pretty damn good, our running game is getting better, and Shaun Hill is managing his way to victories. We're 2-0 homie.

Go Shaun Hill.


You keep on lovin' your boy Hill. When he drops some games against better teams, I'll still be here pointing out that the guy is a great backup, but not a long-term solution. In fact, our top two quarterbacks aren't long-term solutions.



Your criticism of Hill is based on assumptions. You try to downplay his game by guessing that he will make similar decisions as Smith did when he was put in tough situations. The truth is that Hill, by far, has shown that he can overcome adversity and lead this team to victory as needed. Now, you cant always expect a QB to lead his team back from 14-17 points in every game. Even Tom Brady, Brett Favre, and/or Joe Montana couldnt do it each and every time in their careers. The key is to come back in situations where you are expected to. As pointed out, we were down against the Rams (a team we were far superior to) late last year; Hill got us back in the game and won it. You dont want to give him credit for this because it was the lowly Rams, and not the Patriots or the Colts. Well, guess what ? He's not expected to get the Niners "over the hump" when facing 17 point deficits against the elite teams like the Pats/Colts. If anything, the expectation would be to prevent our team from getting into that deficit in the first place. And a lot of that has to do with the playcalling.

Im sorry, but unless you can provide hardclad evidence that Hill has come up short just as many times as Smith, you're argument is flawed. I dont mind you being critical of Hill. What makes your argument baseless is that you defend it by pointing out that Hill WILL fail instead of proving that Hill HAS failed.
[ Edited by ZRF80 on Sep 21, 2009 at 10:44 PM ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 67,113
Originally posted by D_Niner:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by D_Niner:
Originally posted by Squirrel:
Originally posted by D_Niner:

But what are we talking about; 1 game, maybe 2 games per year... It's not like this is a frequent occurrence.


I should also add that I really don't think we can with Smith at the helm.

I really miss Garcia, Young and Montana. . . . Those were the days when we had a competent quarterback.

Now that's something we can all agree with...

Well if you really miss Garcia, then you shouldn't be complaining about the dinks and dunks then. Garcia dinked and dunked for two years, until he was comfortable in the WCO, Beasley and Garner accounted for 90-100 receptions in both '99 and 2000.

When have I ever complained about the dinks and dunks?

Not you D_Niner, Squirrel....sorry.

And I did necessarily mean, you Squirrel either, I meant people who complain about Hill's dinks and dunks. I think my post went all bad.
[ Edited by Kolohe on Sep 21, 2009 at 10:48 PM ]
  • ZRF80
  • Member
  • Posts: 13,551
Originally posted by Lott49ersFan:
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by billybonka:
Hill >>>> Alex Leaf

THEY ARE THE SAME FREAKIN QB for cryin out loud.

If you like Hill better than Smith, fine. But to act like he is 10 times the QB Smith is, is just wrong.

You're completely overstating Hill's worth as a starting QB in the league.I'm not going to beat the reasons to death, since I seem to address them every time people keep bashing Smith. You all know the reasons why Smith is developmentally where he is at. Why take cheap shots at the kid? If he's not a 9er and if he pulls a Vick(either family scenario) then fine have at him. But he's done EVERYTHING that was asked of him. I think some people need to pull their head outta the cheap darkness. JJ deserves the criticism Alex does not. Geez.

~Ceadder

P.S. Does ANYONE besides me want there to be some kind of competition at the QB spot? That way come the 1st day of the season we have the BEST guy under Center?

He's 2-0 this year, and 6-0 at home... Numbers don't lie. Hill > Smith.



You cant blame Ceadder or Method on this. They're kind of "stuck" on defending Smith, just like Maddog is stuck on defending Crabtree.

Both will give you a list of reasons of why Smith failed to excel on this roster (age, OCs, oline, WRs, RBs, etc.). And all, in one way or another, can be justified. The irony here is that the majority of those SAME reasons can also be applied to Hill. So when you ask them to explain why Hill excelled DESPITE those reasons, as opposed to Smith failing BECAUSE of those same reasons, they get stuck. And their answer is:

Smith was forced to play too early in his career. He should have watched and learned from the sideline for at least 1 year before he played. Hill's time on the bench (approx. 5 years) was invaluable to his development as a player.

So then you pose the question: is it better to watch from the sidelines, or would you prefer your future QB to start from the getgo and get up to gamespeed (ala Peyton Manning and/or Donovan McNabb)?

To which, they will replay: Indy and Philly had far superior teams.

To which, you reply...........well, if they had "far" superior teams, why the urgency to draft a QB in the first round and start them so early ? Why not just let them sit on the bench and learn, as your original defense was for Alex Smith ?

And they think about it for a day or two, cause they need the time for it. And they come back with the answer we've all become accustomed to:

"He's only twenty-[fill in the blank] years old. He has plenty of time to learn and become the GOAT."

And that's where the rest of us laugh and decide not carry the conversation any further.

In essence, you made the perfect post. Just type Hill >>> Smith, and let it be man. Just let it be.
[ Edited by ZRF80 on Sep 21, 2009 at 11:00 PM ]
Open Menu Search Share 49ersWebzone