LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 206 users in the forums

JTO Eating Crow Thread!!!

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by 9erReign:
Originally posted by PapaBear610:
Wow, already people coming out with the JToxcuses aren't they?
My question is... why is his performance a surprise? This is the type of performance that we saw from him in the first 2 pre-season games. He can make some "nice" looking throws but over the course of the game he will generally give up the ball and will make some questionable decisions.
And as much as people are saying "He will get better"... let's not forget that so will the defenses (and / or teams) that he will be facing as well. Frank Gore averaged 6.85 yards a carry. That's not going to happen every week folks.

Yep. People hoping for him to keep getting better are crazy. These first few games are his best opportunity to do well. After the league starts getting lots of game film on him they will figure out how to stop him. Right now to stop him you just let him be himself and turn the ball over.

Who's making excuses? We said he needs to protect the ball better but he threw the ball well but he needs to show that he can improve from game to game.

That's not excuses, that's just not judging a player by 1 game.

The excuses is people saying "He played well if you don't count the turnovers." That is the same thing Alexcusers used to say. You can't pick and choose what counts and what doesn't when evaulating him. He should be evaluated based on the entire game and he only gets one evaluation (good, bad, average, etc). He is called Just Turn Overs for a reason, that is what he does. Why do people think he will magically stop doing it?

God that INT was sooooooooooooooooooooooooo horrible. I was sitting in UR and everyone and their mother was screaming "RUNNNNNNNN!" because he only needed 3 yards and had a huge running lane. Nope, that would have been too simple.
Originally posted by D_Niner:

Um....

You're talking about Alex Smith, right??? The guy that has 31 Interceptions, 27 Fumbles, and only 21 TD's in 30 starts? The guy that got beat out by JTO? The guy that has a career QB rate of 63.5.

Accept change! Life will be easier.

Ha, ha, ha... what change? The 9ers still lost, scored what they averaged last year, and looked just as uninspired and lost as they have for the most part over the last 3+ years.

It would be easier to accept if there was actually any tangible improvement.

Alex is gone and JTO is in. That's the change folks need to accept.

JTO was 5th in the NFL this week for yards/pass and 6th in completion %. That's tangible improvement from last years qb play.

BTW, this is a Pro-JTO thread. If you don't like to read the good things about our QB then go somewhere else
My question is... why is his performance a surprise? This is the type of performance that we saw from him in the first 2 pre-season games. He can make some "nice" looking throws but over the course of the game he will generally give up the ball and will make some questionable decisions.
And as much as people are saying "He will get better"... let's not forget that so will the defenses (and / or teams) that he will be facing as well. Frank Gore averaged 6.85 yards a carry. That's not going to happen every week folks.

Yep. People hoping for him to keep getting better are crazy. These first few games are his best opportunity to do well. After the league starts getting lots of game film on him they will figure out how to stop him. Right now to stop him you just let him be himself and turn the ball over.

Who's making excuses? We said he needs to protect the ball better but he threw the ball well but he needs to show that he can improve from game to game.

The excuses is people saying "He played well if you don't count the turnovers." That is the same thing Alexcusers used to say. You can't pick and choose what counts and what doesn't when evaulating him. He should be evaluated based on the entire game and he only gets one evaluation (good, bad, average, etc). He is called Just Turn Overs for a reason, that is what he does. Why do people think he will magically stop doing it?

God that INT was sooooooooooooooooooooooooo horrible. I was sitting in UR and everyone and their mother was screaming "RUNNNNNNNN!" because he only needed 3 yards and had a huge running lane. Nope, that would have been too simple.

Pointing out aspects of his good and bad play is not making excuses. Everyone here is pointing out that he needs to protect the ball better after 3 seconds. It just seems like you don't want to hear how well he threw the ball because he did throw the ball VERY well. This is something that couldn't be said at all about the previous QB. Maybe there was one good drive to talk about with Alex Smith but JTO played a pretty solid half of football.

[ Edited by Joecool on Sep 8, 2008 at 11:45:09 ]
  • PapaBear610
  • Info N/A

Let's see, this should not be too difficult:

First fumble was NOT his fault.
We can debate that issue, but I'm sure if it was Alex Smith, most would be complaining about his pocket presence.

Oh wait, there is an Alex reference in the same post:

Even Alex has fumbled 27 times in 30 starts, so don't think he is so great at holding onto the ball.

He didn't look lost. That alone is an improvement in the QB play. On top of that, he helped the offense move the ball.

He will be fine as EVERYTHING went bad this game and in a game like this, our running game and our passing game and our defense still looked solid.
Well if you're going to use that line of thinking, you should disregard 14 of Alex's career interceptions since EVERYTHING went bad in his first season (11 picks) and EVERYTHING went bad after he got hurt last season and was forced to come back early (3 picks)

I even got one not from another poster:
Originally posted by D_Niner:
Other then the unacceptable turnovers, JTO looked pretty good. 70% completion percentage (6th in the NFL for week 1) and 9.8 yards/completion (5th in the NFL). And think how many times we started with crappy field position (within our own 10 3 times)

I attribute the int and Fumble to inexperience that, in my opinion, will get better as the season goes on...
  • Twister68
  • Info N/A
Aren't we forgetting something?

We lost a very important divisional game at home. JTO was one of the main reasons that the team hadn't a chance to win it. I guess you all "pro JTO" guys think that a nice loss is better than an ugly win. I absolutely can not be happy just "moving the ball". Winning is only thing that matters.

JTO didn't give us any chance of winning. 3rd stringers seldom do. Last year we had Smith, Hostler and all those guys that are mocked daily here. And they won the Cards two times. Just think that for a second.

I thought he played well. You can't judge him by those kind of turnovers. The pick yes, the fumbles, no. what you want to look for is his completion percentage and how we were on 3rd down that will tell you the story.

Pointing out aspects of his good and bad play is not making excuses. Everyone here is pointing out that he needs to protect the ball better after 3 seconds. It just seems like you don't want to hear how well he threw the ball because he did throw the ball VERY well. This is something that couldn't be said at all about the previous QB. Maybe there was one good drive to talk about with Alex Smith but JTO played a pretty solid half of football.

In a better system the QBs look better, he played like I expected he cost us a lot but he's our starter hope he improves his ball control skills

BTW to be a 6th year rookie he did good, if he improves we'll be better, let's see game 2
  • PapaBear610
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by sdaddy101269:

I thought he played well. You can't judge him by those kind of turnovers. The pick yes, the fumbles, no. what you want to look for is his completion percentage and how we were on 3rd down that will tell you the story.

Funny, I thought what should tell the story was whether you won or lost the game.
Twister68 is right, what it comes down to is whether the quarterback was good enough to win the game or not. JTO (whatever his completion percentage, YPA, or Qb rating were) was not good enough.
And that was with him being completely healthy, having been in a system for more than a year and having a better supporting cast than probably the last 3 years combined.
Originally posted by sdaddy101269:

Awww damn. And all these years I have used the results (final score) to judge the players. Silly me. He didn't get it done. End of story.
  • KasparHauser
  • Info N/A
I was simply pointing out that JTO has consistently thrown picks and fumbled. I looked up his stats with the Lions and he did the same thing there. I do hope that is just jitters, and that the fumbles will stop. 1 int is ok, just not a total of three turnovers.

I am rooting for JTO, he is the starter, and Smith is hurt. I want JTO to win and I was pleased with the way he threw the ball. Nice passes, good zip on the ball, scrambled well. To be honest, I was very disappointed with the way that AZ was able to move the ball, mostly in the 2nd half. Sure they didn't amass a lot of yards, but they chewed up the clock and won. You would have thought that the an smarter Nolan was calling their plays.

• KasparHauser
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by KasparHauser:
I was simply pointing out that JTO has consistently thrown picks and fumbled. I looked up his stats with the Lions and he did the same thing there. I do hope that is just jitters, and that the fumbles will stop. 1 int is ok, just not a total of three turnovers.

I am rooting for JTO, he is the starter, and Smith is hurt. I want JTO to win and I was pleased with the way he threw the ball. Nice passes, good zip on the ball, scrambled well. To be honest, I was very disappointed with the way that AZ was able to move the ball, mostly in the 2nd half. Sure they didn't amass a lot of yards, but they chewed up the clock and won. You would have thought that a smarter Nolan was calling their plays.
I liked his poise in the pocket and how cool he was all game. All of his mistakes are fixable so here's to a good season!
Here is to hoping JTO lights up Seattle next week.

With their lack of running game, I hope we get to see the ball in JTO's hands a LOT more.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
no td's 1 pick and 2 fumbles. come on he didnt have a chance! bull s**t he almost threw for 200 yards he had chances. and if he broke 200 it was only cuz the last pass 2 gore everyone kind of gave up. while gore caught the ball he had like 180 it was posted right on the game. i kinda like him but what im supposed to go crazy for this guy. hill and him havnt thrown over 200. but yeah ill give him more chances. but he did not look to good, a few good passes and good completion percentage go down the drain with 1 pick and 2 fumbles.
  • marls
  • Veteran
JTNOOOOOOOOO
Share 49ersWebzone