There are 122 users in the forums

Caleb Williams QB USC Trojans

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
I'm not sure that he is THIS YEAR. 5 losses on a stacked team. As talented as anybody in College Football on the roster.

He's not having a great year by any measure. It's a disappointment for sure. Not sure how that is controversial.
Im laughing that you think USC has a stacked team and a roster as talented as any in college football. Georgia, Alabama, Ohio St, Michigan, Washington, Oregon are all so much stronger. We will see in next years draft how many Trojans are taken in the first 3 rds vs other schools. Not many id guess.

USC has been very disappointing mostly on the defensive side of the ball. Its a terrible defense and mediocre overall team. Williams has been good most of the time although not to the high standards of last year
I have doubts about Lincoln Riley as a head coach. He's a good OC but his teams both at USC and Oklahoma were poor defensively and often lost in big games. He doesn't seem to get the players prepared well.
Caleb Williams has all the physical talent but he may need to learn how to curb his instincts a little when he gets to the NFL. No matter how strong your arm is you can't always throw it 30 yards downfield between 2 defenders and expect it not to get intercepted. Josh Allen may hve the strongest arm we've ever seen but he tries to force too many throws. Bottom line is it will depend on where Caleb ends up like it does for so many talented QBs. He'll need a tam that can draft well and put good talent around him and a system that fits his talents.

No different than any QB. You can't win without a good supporting cast and good coaching.
I'm not sure that he is THIS YEAR. 5 losses on a stacked team. As talented as anybody in College Football on the roster.

He's not having a great year by any measure. It's a disappointment for sure. Not sure how that is controversial.
Im laughing that you think USC has a stacked team and a roster as talented as any in college football. Georgia, Alabama, Ohio St, Michigan, Washington, Oregon are all so much stronger. We will see in next years draft how many Trojans are taken in the first 3 rds vs other schools. Not many id guess.

USC has been very disappointing mostly on the defensive side of the ball. Its a terrible defense and mediocre overall team. Williams has been good most of the time although not to the high standards of last year

most preseason prognostications had USC as a top 10 if not top 5 program
sure they have underperformed, but so has Williams, Mahomes 2.0 probably carves up a bunch of Pac 12 kids who have zero pro future, that's what he's facing vast majority of his games, maybe a couple kids will go pro, vast majority won't. So if you are an elite 'generational' pro talent, you're supposed to be on a warpath putting up silly stats. Go look at Cam Newton, he had a year at Auburn, and it was 10x more dominant than anything Williams has done, and btw, that was SEC football, and a NC to boot..

now you may say, but Williams is the better pro prospect, ok, why aren't we seeing it vs a conference that cannot play D
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

sure they have underperformed, but so has Williams, Mahomes 2.0 probably carves up a bunch of Pac 12 kids who have zero pro future, that's what he's facing vast majority of his games, maybe a couple kids will go pro, vast majority won't. So if you are an elite 'generational' pro talent, you're supposed to be on a warpath putting up silly stats. Go look at Cam Newton, he had a year at Auburn, and it was 10x more dominant than anything Williams has done, and btw, that was SEC football, and a NC to boot..

now you may say, but Williams is the better pro prospect, ok, why aren't we seeing it vs a conference that cannot play D

The PAC 12 has some very good defensive teams this year. Oregon, OSU, Utah, UCLA and Washington all have good defenses. Caleb's numbers are very similar to ast season. He just doesn't have as many good receivers and the USC D is terrible. His completion %, yards per completion and passer rating are actually higher this year. He has fewer attempts this season and fewer TD passes largely because the defense can't get off the field.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

Agree with all this.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
The PAC 12 has some very good defensive teams this year. Oregon, OSU, Utah, UCLA and Washington all have good defenses. Caleb's numbers are very similar to ast season. He just doesn't have as many good receivers and the USC D is terrible. His completion %, yards per completion and passer rating are actually higher this year. He has fewer attempts this season and fewer TD passes largely because the defense can't get off the field.

I think the point is the NFC West has a lot better Ds. If you can't overcome vs Utah, and it's well this didn't go right, this didn't go right, etc. then how will you overcome vs NFL Ds, as a #1 overall? #1 overall, guess what, you are going to a bad club, without talent around, poor D, all the issues you guys are talking about now..

So I see a lot of red flags here, granted I'll have to do more watching as we go forward..

I agree with everything you wrote. 49erFaithful is clearly uninformed when talking about how bad the Pad 12 is this year. It is a very good conference with 3 or 4 teams that are much better than the overrated USC team. I think its hilarious that someone thinks Williams is to blame for all the losses or putting him down because he isnt putting up "silly stats". As you say, his stats are just fine and about where they were last year.
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
No one likes Penis as much as I do ?

You haven't posted once in the thread I created :)
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9moon:
Originally posted by Waterbear:
From what I've seen I still think Caleb should be the #1 overall pick.

Which of the other top QB prospects is having a better year on a worse team?

I think some of you are over thinking it... hopefully the Cardinals do as well if they're picking #1.

I can say I haven't done enough looking yet, I watch a lot more NFL than college, but I don't like his vibes, he wasn't the best QB on the field, vs Oregon, and again another bit of a clunker vs UCLA, and he cries to momma in one, and doesn't do his media in the other is what I hear..

I don't like his body language either, after a bad play he'll be rolling his eyes more or less, I don't watch him a lot but I've already seen that a bunch,

He seems like a diva and a cry baby. Super entitled too. Just lots of bad signs there. I'd be careful picking this very high.

LOL... stop it !! all you anti Caleb hurtin my sides...

you all sound like Joe Dumars when he tried to convince the Cavs that he would rather draft Darko over LeBron because he's done more than LeBron ever did while in College..

if you don't see Caleb being the BEST QB in college football, yah'll need to get your eyes checked..

TALENTED... as in the offense.. right?

Their D is worst than UCONNs

• 9moon
  • Veteran
Caleb Williams has all the physical talent but he may need to learn how to curb his instincts a little when he gets to the NFL. No matter how strong your arm is you can't always throw it 30 yards downfield between 2 defenders and expect it not to get intercepted. Josh Allen may hve the strongest arm we've ever seen but he tries to force too many throws. Bottom line is it will depend on where Caleb ends up like it does for so many talented QBs. He'll need a tam that can draft well and put good talent around him and a system that fits his talents.

No different than any QB. You can't win without a good supporting cast and good coaching.

He'll be #1... but honestly, his arm and release reminds me of that JEFF GEORGE..

I think some of you are over thinking it... hopefully the Cardinals do as well if they're picking #1.

I can say I haven't done enough looking yet, I watch a lot more NFL than college, but I don't like his vibes, he wasn't the best QB on the field, vs Oregon, and again another bit of a clunker vs UCLA, and he cries to momma in one, and doesn't do his media in the other is what I hear..

I don't like his body language either, after a bad play he'll be rolling his eyes more or less, I don't watch him a lot but I've already seen that a bunch,

He seems like a diva and a cry baby. Super entitled too. Just lots of bad signs there. I'd be careful picking this very high.

you all sound like Joe Dumars when he tried to convince the Cavs that he would rather draft Darko over LeBron because he's done more than LeBron ever did while in College..

if you don't see Caleb being the BEST QB in college football, yah'll need to get your eyes checked..

Not on talent. Their D is stacked. They just don't get great results. So maybe a bum defensive coordinator like us. LOL.

Not on talent. Their D is stacked. They just don't get great results. So maybe a bum defensive coordinator like us. LOL.
LOL This is pure comedy.

This kid of sums up their D
"The defense was awful before the firing, and it was horrible after the firing. USC ends the regular season 118th in opponent points per game, 116th in opponent yards per game, 102nd in opponent yards per play, and 100th in opponent third down conversion percentage. From top to bottom, the defense was atrocious, and yes, a lot had to do with the coaching, but the players were also just as bad."

Sorry but you cant have a "stacked defense" and be118th in the country in ppg and 116th in yards given up per game.
[ Edited by Ninerjohn on Nov 22, 2023 at 7:31 PM ]
LOL This is pure comedy.

"The defense was awful before the firing, and it was horrible after the firing. USC ends the regular season 118th in opponent points per game, 116th in opponent yards per game, 102nd in opponent yards per play, and 100th in opponent third down conversion percentage. From top to bottom, the defense was atrocious, and yes, a lot had to do with the coaching, but the players were also just as bad."

Sorry but you cant have a "stacked defense" and be118th in the country in ppg and 116th in yards given up per game.

Their D is not as bad as their performance. There are some blue chip recruits out there and some amazing athletes. They just don't achieve what they should based on scheme and coaching.

But I thought Caleb can transcend and he doesn't need any help. All he needs to do is score 40 a game and continue to win. But somehow they have 5 losses.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Nov 22, 2023 at 9:03 PM ]
LOL This is pure comedy.

Their D is not as bad as their performance. There are some blue chip recruits out there and some amazing athletes. They just don't achieve what they should based on scheme and coaching.

But I thought Caleb can transcend and he doesn't need any help. All he needs to do is score 40 a game and continue to win. But somehow they have 5 losses.
Tell me. Who are those amazing athletes that make up one of the worst defenses in college football? If they really that amazing they should be high draft picks in the NFL. You know, like what happens at Georgia and Alabama.
Share 49ersWebzone