LISTEN: Expectations From 49ers Training Camp With John Chapman →

There are 190 users in the forums

Caleb Williams QB USC Trojans

Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
LOL This is pure comedy.

This kid of sums up their D
"The defense was awful before the firing, and it was horrible after the firing. USC ends the regular season 118th in opponent points per game, 116th in opponent yards per game, 102nd in opponent yards per play, and 100th in opponent third down conversion percentage. From top to bottom, the defense was atrocious, and yes, a lot had to do with the coaching, but the players were also just as bad."

Sorry but you cant have a "stacked defense" and be118th in the country in ppg and 116th in yards given up per game.

Their D is not as bad as their performance. There are some blue chip recruits out there and some amazing athletes. They just don't achieve what they should based on scheme and coaching.

But I thought Caleb can transcend and he doesn't need any help. All he needs to do is score 40 a game and continue to win. But somehow they have 5 losses.
Tell me. Who are those amazing athletes that make up one of the worst defenses in college football? If they really that amazing they should be high draft picks in the NFL. You know, like what happens at Georgia and Alabama.

5 losses. Crying to mommy on the USC leap in the stands. He's having a disappointing year. Their defense has athletes. Just not great results.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
LOL This is pure comedy.

This kid of sums up their D
"The defense was awful before the firing, and it was horrible after the firing. USC ends the regular season 118th in opponent points per game, 116th in opponent yards per game, 102nd in opponent yards per play, and 100th in opponent third down conversion percentage. From top to bottom, the defense was atrocious, and yes, a lot had to do with the coaching, but the players were also just as bad."

Sorry but you cant have a "stacked defense" and be118th in the country in ppg and 116th in yards given up per game.

Their D is not as bad as their performance. There are some blue chip recruits out there and some amazing athletes. They just don't achieve what they should based on scheme and coaching.

But I thought Caleb can transcend and he doesn't need any help. All he needs to do is score 40 a game and continue to win. But somehow they have 5 losses.
Tell me. Who are those amazing athletes that make up one of the worst defenses in college football? If they really that amazing they should be high draft picks in the NFL. You know, like what happens at Georgia and Alabama.

5 losses. Crying to mommy on the USC leap in the stands. He's having a disappointing year. Their defense has athletes. Just not great results.
Thats what I thought. You have nothing and are only repeating what Kolohe has said. LOL

I asked a simple question and all you could come up with was the crying to his mom stuff. Pathetic.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Thats what I thought. You have nothing and are only repeating what Kolohe has said. LOL

I asked a simple question and all you could come up with was the crying to his mom stuff. Pathetic.

don't you see the prob here tho?, he's facing literal amateur athletes, and he's supposedly a elite level future pro, yet he can't elevate a complete front runner silver spoon college program in much of any way shape or form, what do you think he's gonna be asked to do as a #1 overall? but elevate a pro franchise, which I might add, is a lot more difficult charge than what he has now
USC tried to build a D in one year using transfers. It didn't work, just like the Padres signing high priced free agents didn't work. Throwing a bunch of talented players together doesn't always result in wins. They need good coaching and they need to buy into the system. They need to be a team and not just a collection of talent.
[ Edited by CatchMaster80 on Nov 23, 2023 at 8:41 AM ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 60,368
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
USC tried to build a D in one year using transfers. It didn't work, just like the Padres signing high priced free agents didn't work. Throwing a bunch of talented players together doesn't always result in wins. They need good coaching and they need to buy into the system. They need to be a team and not just a collection of talent.

Bingo.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Thats what I thought. You have nothing and are only repeating what Kolohe has said. LOL

I asked a simple question and all you could come up with was the crying to his mom stuff. Pathetic.

don't you see the prob here tho?, he's facing literal amateur athletes, and he's supposedly a elite level future pro, yet he can't elevate a complete front runner silver spoon college program in much of any way shape or form, what do you think he's gonna be asked to do as a #1 overall? but elevate a pro franchise, which I might add, is a lot more difficult charge than what he has now

That's right.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Thats what I thought. You have nothing and are only repeating what Kolohe has said. LOL

I asked a simple question and all you could come up with was the crying to his mom stuff. Pathetic.

don't you see the prob here tho?, he's facing literal amateur athletes, and he's supposedly a elite level future pro, yet he can't elevate a complete front runner silver spoon college program in much of any way shape or form, what do you think he's gonna be asked to do as a #1 overall? but elevate a pro franchise, which I might add, is a lot more difficult charge than what he has now
You guys are laughable. Tell me how a QB can elevate one of the worst defenses in college football. USC is a real bad football team and its not because of their quarterback. John Elway, one of the greatest QBs in history and a #1 pick in the draft, had a 20-23 record at Stanford. Why? Because the team wasnt very good. Even though he lost in college he did a pretty good job at elevating a terrible Denver team didnt he.

I am NOT saying that Williams will be John Elway. Unlike others in here I have never compared him to Mahomes or anyone else for that matter. I am simply saying that Williams has elite skills with a big upside. Whether he becomes an elite QB in the NFL no one really knows.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
You guys are laughable. Tell me how a QB can elevate one of the worst defenses in college football. USC is a real bad football team and its not because of their quarterback. John Elway, one of the greatest QBs in history and a #1 pick in the draft, had a 20-23 record at Stanford. Why? Because the team wasnt very good. Even though he lost in college he did a pretty good job at elevating a terrible Denver team didnt he.

I am NOT saying that Williams will be John Elway. Unlike others in here I have never compared him to Mahomes or anyone else for that matter. I am simply saying that Williams has elite skills with a big upside. Whether he becomes an elite QB in the NFL no one really knows.

elite skills big upside, and some clear red flags, is all i am saying, from my view to this point, let's not ignore the red flags, if you are an evaluator, you look for reasons not to buy in.. don't just fall in love and ignore the red flags, as if that will make them disappear
i guess my main point of contention, is ppl suggest he's a no brainer #1 overall and you're not allowed to think otherwise or ask questions, I disagree, he may or may not be #1, lot of other good players also, and the draft eval process doesn't really ramp up until 2024
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
i guess my main point of contention, is ppl suggest he's a no brainer #1 overall and you're not allowed to think otherwise or ask questions, I disagree, he may or may not be #1, lot of other good players also, and the draft eval process doesn't really ramp up until 2024
I think its possible that Maye or even Harrison could go #1 but i doubt it happens. In the end i think Williams playmaking ability will be too hard to pass up and outweigh any red flags which i believe are highly exaggerated. I dont think teams will be overly critical of him because USC lost 5 games. We shall see. If he has a significant drop on the draft then i will admit to being dead wrong.

1st pick
Caleb -450
Drake +330
Harrison +2000
J Daniels +2000
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 43,495
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
  • Posts: 150,320
uhoh

  • kray28
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 12,347
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
USC tried to build a D in one year using transfers. It didn't work, just like the Padres signing high priced free agents didn't work. Throwing a bunch of talented players together doesn't always result in wins. They need good coaching and they need to buy into the system. They need to be a team and not just a collection of talent.

LIncoln Riley was loyal to Alex Grinch, and it cost Caleb badly in the long run. Grinch really is the worst.
I guess my only question with him other than the small red flags, which are probably nothing, is can he win inside the pocket? I've only seen highlights of Caleb so i'm not going to act like i watch tape but i just got finished watching a highlight reel and only 1 or 2 plays out of 30+ plays were him throwing on time while in the pocket. Just about all of his highlights were him scrambling around until someone gets wide open. He has some spectacular highlights doing that but if you are a coach like Shanahan whose offense relies on timing and trusting your eyes i dont think Caleb would fit into the offense.

The throws he's able to make while moving around remind me of Mahomes.

Share 49ersWebzone