LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 348 users in the forums

Stetson Bennett

• krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9moon:
Bennett or TDR in the 5th... that'll be a NICE round to take them..

The question is, who do you all rather draft if both are there?

Watching the college football playoffs and Georgia to me watching Bennett was like watching a stronger arm and faster Purdy. So that decision would be very easy for me if this particular scenario played itself out.
  • 91til
  • Veteran
Who names their kid Stetson, lol
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 91til:
Who names their kid Stetson, lol

Well he's the 4th. So his great great grandparents?
[ Edited by krizay on Mar 10, 2023 at 4:21 PM ]
  • krizay
  • Veteran
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Shanahan isn't drafting a QB no earlier than 6th or 7th round after they signed Darnold. And I think Bennett will be way out of reach at maybe the 4th or 5th round, that's where I expect him to go at least.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Shanahan isn't drafting a QB no earlier than 6th or 7th round after they signed Darnold. And I think Bennett will be way out of reach at maybe the 4th or 5th round, that's where I expect him to go at least.

My prediction is no later than #86 to Baltimore. Reunite with his OC and given the Lamar situation. Would make a tone of sense
  • krizay
  • Veteran

Fanduel giving good odds on where he gets drafted. 0% he falls past Balt in round 3.

Round 3 sitting at 16-1 odds as of right now
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by krizay:

Lets not
Originally posted by adrianlesnar:
Lets not

Haha

• krizay
  • Veteran
Lets not

Ran 4.6
Threw 59 MPH
Completed 68% of his passes
Won back to back national championships while playing in the toughest conference.

If he was 3-6 inches taller he'd be considered a top 10 pick.
Ran 4.6
Threw 59 MPH
Completed 68% of his passes
Won back to back national championships while playing in the toughest conference.

If he was 3-6 inches taller he'd be considered a top 10 pick.

Bryce Young
5'10"
Consensus top three pick

Stetson Bennett
5'11"
Consensus day three pick

Not so sure his height is the only reason he's being knocked.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Bryce Young
5'10"
Consensus top three pick

Stetson Bennett
5'11"
Consensus day three pick

Not so sure his height is the only reason he's being knocked.

Very fair. But there's no real difference in play between he, CJ or Bryce.
Very fair. But there's no real difference in play between he, CJ or Bryce.

I just can't agree with this. I definitely can see a path to success for Stetson and a path to failure with Bryce and CJ, but I don't see them in the same tier as prospects. I haven't watched many QB prospects, but I'd probably have Stetson at QB4, and would certainly draft him late day 2 / early day 3 before I draft Will Levis in round 1 or Henson Hooker in round 2, and so it's not like I dislike the guy - he actually reminds me quite a bit of NFL Brock Purdy.

He's got enough experience, game sense, and arm to operate a well-oiled timing based system consisting primarily of throws to the short and intermediate areas of the field. That can win in the NFL. Most importantly, he shines brightest in the biggest games and makes the biggest plays in the biggest moments, and that cannot be overlooked. He seems to embrace the underdog role and his confidence never wanes, and he doesn't crumble under pressure.

That said, he is an older and undersized prospect with a fine-not--special arm. He is a good athlete, but not a special one, and so, at his size, I don't expect his athleticism to translate to the NFL in a capacity other than the occasional scramble drill. 40 yard dash, to me, has thresholds for relevance when it comes to the QB position. If the time is SOOO slow or SOOO fast to where it can have an effect on the game (a la Richardson) then it matters. Otherwise, it's a useless number. With a prospect like Richardson or Fields or LJackson, you'd expect their athleticism to help them find success early in their careers as the throwing comes along. Stetson is not that type of athlete, nor does he have the size to hold up. As for arm, he has enough arm, but not an abundance of arm, which requires his mechanics to be on point at all times, which they are not. As an older prospect with plenty of experience, this is a concern. He can be accurate, but his precision takes hits, especially deep, but even intermediate when his footwork is sloppy or he needs to operate off base. He has a tendency to stare down his first read, which again is a problem magnified due to his age.

As for the original post in responded to comparing his and Fields stats in the playoffs, I mostly took exception to that because a lack of context. Post failed to mention Stetsons bad interception, which was thrown under pressure and off base. It failed to mention his negative rushing total. It failed to mention that Fields went into the game missing possibly the first WR drafted this year in JSN, an arguably top 5 TE in CFB, arguably the #1 RB in college football (better than Bijan) plus their second string RB, all versus the undisputed number 1 defense in CFB for the second year running and put up 38 points (if memory serves me correctly) before losing the #1 WR on college football to a concussion. That's a lot of missing weapons. It doesn't take away from Stetsons performance, but it does illuminate Strounds, IMO
  • krizay
  • Veteran
All fair points but your comment about Brock is actually why I want him. When I watched him he reminded me of Brock but with stronger arm and more speed. Throw in his big game experience. I would love nothing more than to have 2 Brocks on this team.
Share 49ersWebzone