MadDog's Thoughts on this Draft

Welcome back Kotter
  • JMC52
  • Veteran
Man this is what webzone needed
Spring is officially here. MD is back.

About damn time. ;)
MD back just in time
Great to hear from you MadDog! Thanks for your thoughts and analysis! You are and will forever be the man!
who is maddog
Boom, thanks MD, you definitely lift the mood around here.
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
Admittedly, I don't watch college ball and haven't really looked into this year's class....BUT....

Is it just me or has there never been a quieter, less hyped draft. I know there aren't any QBs but in general, I know zero players in this one.

Is it a really weak class at the top/round 1? Or is something else at play? Don't recall one being this "boring" with no flash since the Eric Fisher 2013 draft.

With no clear top-level QBs in this draft, it doesn't have the same energy as in previous years. That is why you get a number one overall selection that is a projection pick.

It is not a very good draft class. Just not many players that jumped off the screen when I watched games and prospects this year.

That being said, the top end of the WR class was fun to watch. Just a ton of talent there.
Originally posted by NTeply49:
What do you think about some of these linebackers? Muma, Maye, Chenal, Troy Anderson, and Christian Harris? All seem to be hyper athletic

It is a really good class of second-day players. If a team wants to build up their LB room, this is the day to make it happen. Some of these guys are pretty good-sized, as well, in the 240+ range. I'd add in the two Oklahoma kids in this group: Asamoah and Bonitto.

Anderson is a guy who is still learning how to play. He might need some extra time to play at this high level, especially playing at a small school. But, that kid is a crazy athlete. Chenal is plug and play. Maye and Bonitto add the pass-rushing component.

It is a fun group.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Apr 29, 2022 at 12:10 PM ]
Originally posted by BYisGod:
Always great to hear from you, MD. Hope you and your family are well.

Thanks, and same to you.

Originally posted by dlance:
Nice one MadDog you called it Travon Walker

I feel for the Jags on this one because Hutchinson is going to hit the ground running. He is going to dominate from the first day of camp. Walker is going to struggle early on. He has all the athleticism. I just didn't see it translate on the field at all. He is a big projection at this point.
Well, Strange is off the board. I was hoping he would be a guy who slid a bit further than anticipated last year because he is an OG. In my on-the-clock draft last year, I picked up a guy somewhat similar in the third in Quinn Meinerz, who was a small-school guy who played well at the Senior Bowl. Meinerz ended up having a solid rookie year.

Still, so much talent on the board, even though we are still about 30 picks away.

My draft strategy in the simulated mock drafts that are online is selecting at 61, and then trading up into the 70's. I think the value in this draft really falls off badly in the 80's and 90's.

If the Niners can get a combo like: McBride and Pitre; Travis Jones and Chenal; then I think the team has picked up two key pieces for the future. I just don't see a lot of talent on the board late in the third.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
What do you think about some of these linebackers? Muma, Maye, Chenal, Troy Anderson, and Christian Harris? All seem to be hyper athletic

It is a really good class of second-day players. If a team wants to build up their LB room, this is the day to make it happen. Some of these guys are pretty good-sized, as well, in the 240+ range. I'd add in the two Oklahoma kids in this group: Asamoah and Bonitto.

Anderson is a guy who is still learning how to play. He might need some extra time to play at this high level, especially playing at a small school. Chenal is plug and play. Maye and Bonitto add the pass-rushing component.

It is a fun group.

I thought so too. I think the Lions did really well to put themselves in a position to get Jameson Williams while moving back in the 2nd round to put themselves in a perfect position to grab one of those guys or a safety to pair with Tracy Walker.

I think the Niners need to look at interior line, pass rusher to pair with Bosa, Safety, or maybe a tight end like Ruckert.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

Anderson is a guy who is still learning how to play. He might need some extra time to play at this high level, especially playing at a small school. Chenal is plug and play. Maye and Bonitto add the pass-rushing component.

It is a fun group.

I thought so too. I think the Lions did really well to put themselves in a position to get Jameson Williams while moving back in the 2nd round to put themselves in a perfect position to grab one of those guys or a safety to pair with Tracy Walker.

I think the Niners need to look at interior line, pass rusher to pair with Bosa, Safety, or maybe a tight end like Ruckert.

Def agree, OC is our biggest need at this point, Cam Jergens if available will be BPA, if Brisker falls to the 50's then I could see us trading up for him as well.
I think the window under this group of players is closing pretty fast. I would rather the Niners make some moves to pick up 2-3 impact players that can step in and play right away. That probably means moving up from a late third..
Share 49ersWebzone