There are 199 users in the forums

Kyren Williams, RB, Notre Dame

I know... I know.. I know.. .

We shouldn't and wouldn't draft another running back with a high pick.

But every year I start my personal scouting on running backs and so far Kyren is my favorite of this class.

I think he has the speed and cutting ability similar to some of the elite backs in the game today.

I also completely understand the hesitancy to draft RBs from Notre Dame due to their offensive line play year after year. I see Notre Dame and Wisconsin in that same manner in which you almost have to grade them on a curve because so many productive players have failed at the next level.

But as we've seen with Johnathan Taylor, I think similarly Kyren Williams can break the common stereotype of his alma mater.

I have no idea where Williams is projected to go. But I think he could be elite in this offense.

A few more:

• evil
  • Veteran
I approve, but I am a biased ND fan so....

Originally posted by evil:
I approve, but I am a biased ND fan so....

I'm a Stanford fan due to my pop Warner coach bringing me to games. He played with John Elway.

So if anyone is biased AGAINST ND… it's me. Lol
How high does this kid get drafted ? I'm all for it if he's around in the 4th.
Originally posted by jersey49er:
How high does this kid get drafted ? I'm all for it if he's around in the 4th.

I think he will go before that, kid is a stud
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
I think we should draft a RB every year, but that's just me. (Or at least add one with a day 3 pick/UDFA).
He was featured on NFL.com as a "sleeper" prospect today. Did not know that he was a good receiver, pass blocker and kick returner. Niners could do a lot worse than taking a kid with his skill set.
Got some Austin Ekeler vibes...late day 2 early day 3
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Mar 1, 2022 at 12:31 PM ]
If the 49ers draft another RB before day 3, somebody in the front office needs their ass fired.
[ Edited by Heroism on Mar 1, 2022 at 3:29 PM ]

Originally posted by Heroism:
If the 49ers draft another RB before day 3, somebody in the front office needs their ass fired.

I'm a huge BPA guy but I see your point.

Realistically we shouldn't draft one before day 3. But hypothetically we're up and this kid is sitting there late day two and he's BPA. I would be all for it assuming Mostert is gone.
The 49ers don't draft BPA, so you don't have to worry about that. They have a draft their guy philosophy. On the flip side, their draft philosophy often gets them in trouble with things like trading UP for a guy like Trey Sermon.

They need to do what Shanahans have always done: trust in their system and 20+ years of evidence.
Originally posted by Heroism:
The 49ers don't draft BPA, so you don't have to worry about that. They have a draft their guy philosophy. On the flip side, their draft philosophy often gets them in trouble with things like trading UP for a guy like Trey Sermon.

They need to do what Shanahans have always done: trust in their system and 20+ years of evidence.

Yeah I know they don't LOL

Like I said in my original post I understand the hesitancy to draft RB high.

I really like Kyren but he's certainly not the best prospect to come out in awhile. I wouldn't take him in round 2. But I wouldn't be opposed to drafting a running back high just because they're a running back. It would have to be a Deebo type player who you could split out wide and one that had elite speed (think Jamal Charles type) to warrant a high selection from me. I don't think Kyren is close Jamal Charles but I like him enough to keep an eye out on him.

The "their guy" philosophy has really hurt us in some ways but they've also found some superstar players. Mainly because they hyper focus on character guys which usually results in their picks out performing their perceived pre draft value.

I know we need to fix the offensive line and secondary. But I really really want more explosive weapons on offense for Trey.
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
I don't think the Shanahan's were ever great drafters. Ignoring all 49ers, what were their signature draft picks?

Terrell Davis and Trent Williams? John Mobley? Clinton Portis?

NGL, I read Hero's post as "someone needs their ass fried; [set on fire with hot oil]" at 1st glance.
Don't want a rb before the 5th. Didn't work with Joe Williams and the jury is still out on sermon. Our most successful backs were UFAs or late round. But this guy is definitely a studm
Share 49ersWebzone