LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 272 users in the forums

Christian Watson-WR-NDSU

Might as well go back to the well at NDSU for another guy, this time a quality BIG receiver with plenty of speed to get downfield in a hurry. I've seen his name tossed around a few times so I'm surprised that he doesn't have a thread yet. Pretty much a perfect fit for the 49ers offense and he already has some built in chemistry with Lance as he was his favorite target in 2019. The other positive is that he's been used in every conceivable way at NDSU. The way Kyle uses Deebo is pretty much how Watson was utilized. It wasn't unusual for him to line up outside, in the slot, out of the backfield...etc. He was also an effective kick returner for the Bison. A big play guy that can get up for passes and be a serious redzone threat, I expect him to wind up going anywhere from the late 2nd to late 4th round. Reminds me of Kittle coming out of college in that he was underutilized as a receiver in a very run heavy offense.

Tremendous upside for the NFL and could really be the missing piece to the 49ers WR group. He's basically everything that Shanahan was hoping for from Hurd, but also quite raw as a receiver. If they are confident that he can greatly improve his route running skills, he could become a huge steal.

While watching Lance highlights last year this kid popped out a lot.
This is the guy I want the 49ers to draft so bad! 1 more playmaker to add to the offense that way we can have even more multiple weapons all over the field. His chemistry with Lance would also help out a bit!
He does seem to have some insane burst. Seems like he would fit us well. What round is he projected to go in? ( I know it is early in the process)
Originally posted by Bloodless:
He does seem to have some insane burst. Seems like he would fit us well. What round is he projected to go in? ( I know it is early in the process)

I'd guess 3rd
https://www.profootballnetwork.com/christian-watson-ndsu-wr-nfl-draft-scouting-report-2022/

An exciting idea.
This is the first time in a long time we dont need to draft a WR at all (unless hes a returner as well)

We don't pass the ball enough to justify feeding another weapon both Deebo and Aiyuk deserve their starting spots and obviously we have Kittle. Juan Jennings has been extremely reliable target too i feel almost all his catches are first downs or touchdowns
Originally posted by ritz126:
This is the first time in a long time we dont need to draft a WR at all (unless hes a returner as well)

We don't pass the ball enough to justify feeding another weapon both Deebo and Aiyuk deserve their starting spots and obviously we have Kittle. Juan Jennings has been extremely reliable target too i feel almost all his catches are first downs or touchdowns

We definitely are not drafting one in the second round. Very unlikely in the third round as well. After that point though you just try to draft guys who you think are good and can make your roster. WRs get injured and you need at least 5 on a roster. So I think a WR is definitely in play in the mid to late rounds for us if they like them.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
So we draft a NDSU QB to play RB in hopes he can learn the important parts of playing QB. Now I'm seeing highlights of a NDSU WR playing RB and you seem to think he too needs to learn the important parts of learning to play WR.

Why can't we just draft players that already know how to play the positions they are being drafted for.
Originally posted by krizay:
So we draft a NDSU QB to play RB in hopes he can learn the important parts of playing QB. Now I'm seeing highlights of a NDSU WR playing RB and you seem to think he too needs to learn the important parts of learning to play WR.

Why can't we just draft players that already know how to play the positions they are being drafted for.

With a 6th or 7th round pick, who cares? The team record with low picks is really good.

Saw someone comp him to Robby Anderson and I thought that was spot on.

What are you talking about

you need too...

Originally posted by NYniner85:

What are you talking about

you need too...

Kellen mond, amirite. And I comped him to Robby Anderson and I can't unsee it hahah
Originally posted by ritz126:

If it's day 3, why not? The way I see it, we can add some deep speed (think Marquise Goodwin 2.0) and get the player we hoped Hurd would be. Receiver room is set for the next 3 seasons. I just think outside of corner, we are just looking for guys to fill certain roles- another returner, a Dee Ford replacement, center of the future to development, and BPA with any other picks.
Holy crap Phoenix liking a prospect from a Dakota. Insert my shocked face
Share 49ersWebzone