There are 214 users in the forums

Just how bad are the Niners at evaluating talent?

Found this amusing - article 49ers GM vs. autodraft.
It basically, revisits each draft year and turns on auto-draft- and from the looks of it, the Niners would probably have been more successful if they had just let ESPN auto-draft make their picks.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
I believe it. They shouldn't get much credit for Bosa as was a slam dunk at that spot but the rest have been more miss than hit.
It's Silicon Valley. They could literally write an algorithm to make draft picks for us. And we'd be better off.

Complete clown show regime.
Not good on day 1/2
Solid on day 3

They get too cute on days 1 and 2. They need to stop overthinking things and take the obvious guy.
[ Edited by Heroism on Oct 25, 2021 at 7:02 PM ]
Bosa, Warner, Deebo, Kittle, Mitchell, McGlinchey, Ward and Greenlaw would like to have a word. I don't think it's an issue of talent. One question I may have is why do players have such difficulty getting up to speed? Aiyuk clearly has talent. Why is he not developing? Why is the club reportedly frustrated with his development? Does he not want to put in the work? How come Sermon who was a beast at Ohio State is not taking the reigns with Mostert out for the year? Are we taking a sink and swim approach with these guys? What's being done to get them in a position to succeed?
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Bosa, Warner, Deebo, Kittle, Mitchell, McGlinchey, Ward and Greenlaw would like to have a word. I don't think it's an issue of talent. One question I may have is why do players have such difficulty getting up to speed? Aiyuk clearly has talent. Why is he not developing? Why is the club reportedly frustrated with his development? Does he not want to put in the work? How come Sermon who was a beast at Ohio State is not taking the reigns with Mostert out for the year? Are we taking a sink and swim approach with these guys? What's being done to get them in a position to succeed?

McGlinchey??
  • dj43
How come Sermon who was a beast at Ohio State is not taking the reigns with Mostert out for the year?

Either their scouting reports were all wrong (hard to miss with so much film available) or they thought they could change his style (make a round peg fit in a square hole) and it isn't working.

I think it is the latter. Too many drafts experts saw Sermon as a quality back with a good NFL future ahead of him.
Talent evaluation, take a team like the Steelers they know how to draft receivers. They lose an all-pro and come back with 2 or 3 more. I know it's a crap shoot but when you're drafting in the top 3 you must come away with something. Those picks are gold. It's easy to knock the team when they're down but after going to a SB one would think the foundation was in place for a few more years. It is not a success to finish with 8 or 9 wins and no draft capital for a few years.
Originally posted by dj43:
How come Sermon who was a beast at Ohio State is not taking the reigns with Mostert out for the year?

Either their scouting reports were all wrong (hard to miss with so much film available) or they thought they could change his style (make a round peg fit in a square hole) and it isn't working.

I think it is the latter. Too many drafts experts saw Sermon as a quality back with a good NFL future ahead of him.

Not sure the talent evaluators were that high on Sermon - he was ranked anything from #78 overall to #301 (Sermon's draft ranking). With an average rank of #139.
Considering he was picked at #88, that's a bit of a reach.
This absolutely is an issue with talent.
Bosa was an obvious pick you couldn't f that up.
McGlinchey is not worthy of his slot
Kittle, Mitchell, Greenlaw are day 3 picks
Ward wasn't drafted by this regime
Deebo and Warner were good picks.

They have whiffed too much on 1st and 2nd day picks. My mother could have done a better job than Lynch and Shanahan. No joke cause she would have gone with the mock drafts which has proven to do better than our talent evaluation. We highlight a couple guys we like in each round and we overdraft to get "our guys". Kinlaw, Foster, Pettis, Banks, Sermon, Witherspoon, Beatherd, and so on.

One of the biggest knocks on him at Ohio State and Oklahoma was his inability to learn a new offense quickly.

I thought he would struggle early on then become much more comfortable and productive like he did at Ohio state.

Unfortunately it seems as though he's still not comfortable with the system and/or Kyle never wanted him and that's why he's benched. :/
Originally posted by Waterbear:
One of the biggest knocks on him at Ohio State and Oklahoma was his inability to learn a new offense quickly.

I thought he would struggle early on then become much more comfortable and productive like he did at Ohio state.

Unfortunately it seems as though he's still not comfortable with the system and/or Kyle never wanted him and that's why he's benched. :/

Trey Sermon pick never made sense given this system's history and Bobby Turner's track record with day 3/UDFA RBs.

Just another massive personnel f**k up by this front office. You can't waste this many day 1/2 picks and not have it come back to haunt you.

One thing I notice with Sermon he's more of a thumper while Kyle appears to favor burners like Brieda, Mostert, Mitchell etc. I wondered at the time if he is a good fit for us. Loved his run vs Clemson where he is bulldozing defenders. Speaking on Banks he too seems like a total scheme mismatch. We like getting out wide were you would want an athletic guard who can pull and Banks is a gigantic power blocker. Is Lynch just taking guys that Kyle doesn't really value?
Originally posted by Heroism:

Trey Sermon pick never made sense given this system's history and Bobby Turner's track record with day 3/UDFA RBs.

Just another massive personnel f**k up by this front office. You can't waste this many day 1/2 picks and not have it come back to haunt you.

This might be my biggest blunder so far.

I was right about Mahomes, Bosa, and Solomon Thomas… but I think I whiffed on Sermon :/
This might be my biggest blunder so far.

I was right about Mahomes, Bosa, and Solomon Thomas… but I think I whiffed on Sermon :/

Well, I don't think you can give up on Sermon as a player just yet.

But from a drafting value standpoint for the 49ers, it didn't make sense to take any RB that early.
[ Edited by Heroism on Oct 26, 2021 at 11:46 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone