LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 277 users in the forums

If the Niners keep Jimmy G, which QB should they draft to be his backup and why?

If the Niners keep Jimmy G, which QB should they draft to be his backup and why?

It's clear to me the Niners need to rework the QB room moving forward to get them back into Super Bowl contention. Mullens can make quicker decisions on the field, but doesn't have the athletic ability to make the plays. CJ has more arm talent, but he can't handle the speed of the NFL game. Rosen is a wild card that no one can count on just yet. If Jimmy G stays, the Niners need to add another QB in this draft. Who would you pick, when would you pick them and why?

My preference would be Mac Jones in the second round if he lasts that long as the best prospect to back up Jimmy G. If not him, I would wait till day three and take Davis Mills. At least Mills has some exposure to an NFL type scheme during his time at Stanford. Your thoughts..........
[ Edited by m_brockalexander on Jan 6, 2021 at 2:16 PM ]
Mac.
The option I would pick is not there. I'd do what it takes and trade up for one of Wilson, Fields or Lance (preferably Wilson). Even if Jimmy stays, I'd do this for 3 simple reasons:

1. I don't see us picking this high again any time soon
2. I have zero confidence in Jimmy staying healthy
3. I do not believe Jimmy is a FQB nor the long term answer for us
Originally posted by 49ers808:
The option I would pick is not there. I'd do what it takes and trade up for one of Wilson, Fields or Lance (preferably Wilson). Even if Jimmy stays, I'd do this for 3 simple reasons:

I get that and I don't disagree with you at all. My scenario is for anyone who doesn't think the Niners should mortgage the farm to move up like you suggest.
I don't think Carson Strong is declaring otherwise he'd me my pick hands down. With another good season he has Top 5 pick potential.

Mac Jones would be the obvious one but if they aren't going to go early(Rounds 1-2) then Mond would be my pick.

Davis Mills is my favorite late round QB because the talent is far greater than what he's shown and Stanford largely runs a potato offense that acts as a restrictor on QB's compared to the pass happy offenses that many other college QB's play in but if they decide to give Rosen a shot then having the two of them is pretty redundant. At least Mond would add a different dimension to the offense overall.

1. Garoppolo
2. Rosen
3. Mond

Jamie Newman is a wild card to me. He transferred to Georgia and there have been a bunch of reports suggesting that he opted to sit out the season only after it looked like he wouldn't get the starting job. That is a massive red flag if true. Otherwise he's got a ton of talent and potential but is someone that will need a lot of work when it comes to his mechanics and being a more accurate and decisive passer. Physically he's got all the tools needed to be successful in the NFL.
If we keep Jimmy I say go all in for lance- and let him sit- or just roll with cj and rosen as the backups

Btw is Ridder even coming out?
[ Edited by Bitplayer on Jan 5, 2021 at 11:47 AM ]
  • dj43
I have a hard time accepting a second-round QB in the hope they turn out to be an FQB. For me, either go all-in for one of the top three or wait until Davis Mills comes up.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Originally posted by 49ers808:

I get that and I don't disagree with you at all. My scenario is for anyone who doesn't think the Niners should mortgage the farm to move up like you suggest.

Gotcha. Then from your list I would hope for Mac or Ridder on day 2. If we wait until day 3 I would go with Mills
  • NM16
  • Veteran
If we keep jimmy I dont see the point of wasting a pick on a backup qb when we have other needs with a small cap. If we keep him I'd sign a vet qb and have Rosen/Beathard battle it out for the the third spot.
I would entertain offers on our 1st round pick for a trade down because we need to accumulate assets and start getting some younger guys in here on cheaper deals. They need some OGs and a Center.

If you can somehow secure another day 2 pick, then Mac Jones seems kind of ideal at that spot in the 2nd round. But I wouldn't lose sleep if he went earlier to another team. And whatever they do, I really hope that Kyle DOES NOT do anymore trade ups. Like trading up back into the late 1st. This team trades up way too much, if I'm just being honest. Aiyuk at least worked out for them. But too many times, it just feels like we waste draft picks. Kyle needs to learn to just let the value come to you and be patient.

If you don't get Jones, then using a day 3 pick on someone like Kellen Mond, or even an upside guy like Desmond Ridder would be good. Although, I know Kyle probably doesn't like Ridder's style and maybe doesn't want to develop someone. If its me though, I prefer someone with upside on day 3, and I think its kind of disappointing that Kyle probably doesn't prefer to develop raw prospects, and wants these rigid pro style pocket passers which have lower ceilings and are becoming harder to find.

Mac for sure and he's not so much of a backup as he just would really benefit from sitting for a year! Why... deep throw accuracy and great accuracy at every level, unlike jimmy, anticipation is great and can work the pocket to allow protection around him keep the pocket clean long enough, great vision to see the open man.

another later option that is more of a back up is Shane Buechele from SMU, 6'1 200 lbs, threw for 3093 yard, 23 TD's 6INT's, has a strong arm and good pocket awareness and can feel pressure and get out and run it or throw from awkward angles to get a completion. Even with a strong arm his ball kinda wobbles, doesn't have a nice spiral, so maybe that's mechanics and can be fixed? Also makes some throws into tight pockets that are probably INT's at the NFL level, but the pluses out weigh the minus' with some coaching and development.
Originally posted by irishluder:
Mac for sure and he's not so much of a backup as he just would really benefit from sitting for a year! Why... deep throw accuracy and great accuracy at every level, unlike jimmy, anticipation is great and can work the pocket to allow protection around him keep the pocket clean long enough, great vision to see the open man.

another later option that is more of a back up is Shane Buechele from SMU, 6'1 200 lbs, threw for 3093 yard, 23 TD's 6INT's, has a strong arm and good pocket awareness and can feel pressure and get out and run it or throw from awkward angles to get a completion. Even with a strong arm his ball kinda wobbles, doesn't have a nice spiral, so maybe that's mechanics and can be fixed? Also makes some throws into tight pockets that are probably INT's at the NFL level, but the pluses out weigh the minus' with some coaching and development.

I don't think Buechele has the arm or physical talent. He couldn't beat out anyone at UT (none of whom were great pro prospects, including Ehlinger imo) so transferred to SMU.
Other : Z Wilson
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Other : Z Wilson

This
I saw a run down this morning of the NFL teams that definitely are or might be looking for a QB. Plain truth is all the decent prospects are gone before the 49ers pick unless they trade up. Without a trade , they need to look for someone that they feel fits their system and can be a decent backup. They aren't likely to find a future star after those first 10 picks unless someone falls back in their lap. You never know in the draft who's going to be the guy that falls because of rumors about his work ethic or his off field habits. Let's start one about Lawrence or Fields.
Share 49ersWebzone