LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 333 users in the forums

If the Niners keep Jimmy G, which QB should they draft to be his backup and why?

If the Niners keep Jimmy G, which QB should they draft to be his backup and why?

Originally posted by 91til:
Just take Mac with our first pick— maybe we get a baby trade down of a couple spots for a 3rd or 4th. Jimmy gets another shot with added pressure and Mac gets a year to learn. We can upgrade OL, DB and DE with a cheap vet or two (hopefully finding a way to keep Verrett and Hyder), and the rest of our draft picks. Just seems like the simplest best strategy IMO

This is probably what happens... our defense will probably take a step back but lets hope our offense can do more next season.
  • 91til
  • Veteran
Originally posted by irishluder:
Just take Mac with our first pick— maybe we get a baby trade down of a couple spots for a 3rd or 4th. Jimmy gets another shot with added pressure and Mac gets a year to learn. We can upgrade OL, DB and DE with a cheap vet or two (hopefully finding a way to keep Verrett and Hyder), and the rest of our draft picks. Just seems like the simplest best strategy IMO

This is probably what happens... our defense will probably take a step back but lets hope our offense can do more next season.

Don't forget we're getting some guy named Nick Bosa back

But yeah—no question a healthy and motivated Jimmy with a better OL (which could happen either by having a healthy Richburg, or upgrading at RG, or both, and assuming we keep TW) should result in a much better offense than this year... thank god... how many games did we even have Deebo and Aiyuk together? Like two?
[ Edited by 91til on Jan 5, 2021 at 8:10 PM ]
Originally posted by TheXFactor:
Wilson. End of story.

Agree. The game has pretty much evolved past pure pocket passers and I don't know what it will take for Shanahan to realize that. Go get Wilson, no matter the cost. I'd say try and get to the 3rd overall pick to be safe but 4th would probably be fine. Miami will probably get Sewell, but no telling.
while I would love it if we trade up to the number 3 or 4 spot to try and grab Wilson, I just don't see Lynch spending that much draft capital that is needed to move up that far. I think it will be either Mac Jones at 12, an edge rusher, or trade down.
[ Edited by hello49 on Jan 5, 2021 at 11:23 PM ]
I'd love to trade up, but I don't know if it'll be feasible this year for the team. There's a chance that Trent Williams(wants David Bakhtiari $23m per, $30m guaranteed money) and MAYBE another player or two are all they can bring back if they get rid of Dee Ford and Weston Richburg. We're going to have a ton of holes that need to be addressed this year in the draft.
Originally posted by Heroism:
I'd love to trade up, but I don't know if it'll be feasible this year for the team. There's a chance that Trent Williams(wants David Bakhtiari $23m per, $30m guaranteed money) and MAYBE another player or two are all they can bring back if they get rid of Dee Ford and Weston Richburg. We're going to have a ton of holes that need to be addressed this year in the draft.

This is the best draft for QBs in recent memory. Do we have other holes? Yes, but none so alarmingly glaring as the QB position imo. By going after a top shelf QB prospect and him working out it would cover a lot of holes. I just don't think Mac Jones is the guy. We need a QB like Zach Wilson who is mobile and can hide the pass blocking deficiencies of our OL.
Originally posted by PuckFarag10:

This is the best draft for QBs in recent memory. Do we have other holes? Yes, but none so alarmingly glaring as the QB position imo. By going after a top shelf QB prospect and him working out it would cover a lot of holes. I just don't think Mac Jones is the guy. We need a QB like Zach Wilson who is mobile and can hide the pass blocking deficiencies of our OL.

I agree with you. I just don't see Lynch pulling the trigger for a big move up....

It's not going to be that bad. We'll lose players for sure, but we're going to do more than re-sign only 3-4.
Not that I'd be mad if we trade up for Wilson. It's just gonna mean we don't upgrade as much or at all on the other positions we need (since we'd be giving up a glut of picks)

Which is why I don't see it happening especially with so many free agents and not much cap space to address those positions of need. This just isn't a good year to trade a large amount of draft capital.
Originally posted by SFrush:
Not that I'd be mad if we trade up for Wilson. It's just gonna mean we don't upgrade as much or at all on the other positions we need (since we'd be giving up a glut of picks)

Which is why I don't see it happening especially with so many free agents and not much cap space to address those positions of need. This just isn't a good year to trade a large amount of draft capital.

Say we do trade for Wilson & give up some capital to do so. Once JG is gone, our cap situation is much more favorable than it would be if he were still on the books. We could sign some good veteran talent to surround the rookie with.

Originally posted by irishluder:
Interesting, you have some real life exposure... so he's closer to 6 foot then I'm guessing? Thanks for the input I stand corrected

yeah 6 foot seems about right. and 200 maybe. Again great kid but I don't think he has the tools/size to make it. He's bigger than Kyler but Kyler can run away when he needs to (although we have learned he can only run so far).
Share 49ersWebzone