LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 412 users in the forums

Jaelan Phillips-EDGE-Miami

Originally posted by adrianlesnar:
Maybe, but actions speak louder than Instagram posts

He sounds like a good dude, with a great head on his shoulders but he seems like he's more passionate about doing music than football. He's had a string of concussions that led to him retiring the first time, how many more hits and injuries will he put up with once he's cashed a few of those big checks, knowing that he's got wealthy family and a music career to fall back on.

https://news.miami.edu/stories/2020/09/for-canes-defensive-lineman-playing-field-includes-football-and-music.html

"During my recovery I had to seriously think about what I wanted to pursue outside of football, and music was really what I found myself drawn to. I realized that I wanted to pursue a full-time career in music and wanted to get the proper training," explained Phillips. "While researching schools I wanted to transfer to, I learned that the Frost School of Music was one of the top schools in the country. And when I began to also get recruited to play for UM football, I thought it was a no brainer to attend the U."

As a current 'Canes defensive lineman, Phillips transferred to the University in 2019 and is now enrolled at the Frost School of Music, where he is studying music business. He also is learning about motion pictures in the School of Communication.

"It's been amazing so far. I've learned a whole lot about digital production which is something I've always been very interested in. I find myself constantly tying the concepts I learn in the School of Communication with the concepts I learn at Frost, which go hand in hand," he pointed out.

Phillips said his love for the music industry stems from his family.

"My grandfather was a world-renowned pianist and conductor. My mother plays the cello, and my father plays the trumpet. I've just had music surrounding me my entire life," he noted.

Phillips' grandfather is Jon Robertson, an internationally acclaimed pianist and conductor who earned three degrees from the famed Juilliard School and now serves as dean of the Lynn University Conservatory of Music in Boca Raton. Phillips himself has also been classically trained in the piano since he was 8 years old.

"I've always had that creative side in me. So, I decided to take the time to go back to pursuing something that was always a part of me," said Phillips.

He said his family is proud that he has decided to study music at the Frost School of Music.

"My mom thinks it's wonderful that I've decided to go after music again. My grandpa also enjoys hearing about what I'm learning. I think they're super happy that I found a new love and passion for music," said Phillips.
Originally posted by Heroism:
It's rare to see a dude at 265 lbs as agile and flexible as Phillips. Once you start getting over 260 lbs, a lot of athletes are stiff and mechanical. It's rare to find a dude that fluid, agile and bendy at that bodyweight.

What a sad waste of supreme talent.

I was listening to Dane Brugler and he said UCLA forced him to retire because of concussions.
  • 4 concussions
  • 2 ankle surgeries
  • Severe wrist injuries
  • Tinman heart

Whoever drafts this dude is asking to get burned. This thread is starting to feel like the Reuben Foster thread. I remember when a lot of people on here chose to ignore the medicals because they loved what they saw on the field. Reuben couldn't last a single full game in the NFL without going down.
[ Edited by Heroism on Feb 24, 2021 at 11:53 AM ]
Originally posted by Heroism:
  • 4 concussions
  • 2 ankle surgeries
  • Severe wrist injuries
  • Tinman heart

Whoever drafts this dude is asking to get burned. This thread is starting to feel like the Reuben Foster thread. I remember when a lot of people on here chose to ignore the medicals because they loved what they saw on the field. Reuben couldn't last a single full game in the NFL without going down.

Oh I agree, I'm not touching him until the 3rd round...I don't think it was necessary that he "quit" though. UCLA said you can't play here because of your concussions.

I believe the ankle/wrist injures were from getting hit by a car, correct?

I'm more worried about the concussions than anything.
I hear some people say i wouldn't draft this kid jaelan phillips in the 1st round with his injury history but i disagree his talent is worthy of top 10 consideration. He does have other interests like his music but he loves football and wants to prove the haters wrong and I wouldn't bet against him. Any player could get hurt on any play! This is the NFL not the flag football league... just because he had some bad luck with injuries at ucla that doesn't mean he is gonna get hurt again.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Oh I agree, I'm not touching him until the 3rd round...I don't think it was necessary that he "quit" though. UCLA said you can't play here because of your concussions.

This is all true. Having said that he is the most talented DE in this draft...
ojulari is getting way overhyped on the zone.
[ Edited by Bellaleo on Feb 24, 2021 at 5:56 PM ]
Originally posted by Bellaleo:

This is all true. Having said that he is the most talented DE in this draft...
ojulari is getting way overhyped on the zone.
Yeah azeez ojulari is a talented edge pass rusher but he does seem a little too much over hyped in this forum even Daniel Jeremiah a former scout and NFL network draft anylist has him like the 40th draft prospect compared to jaelan phillips at like the 16th best prospect.
Originally posted by Scorgasms:
Yeah azeez ojulari is a talented edge pass rusher but he does seem a little too much over hyped in this forum even Daniel Jeremiah a former scout and NFL network draft anylist has him like the 40th draft prospect compared to jaelan phillips at like the 16th best prospect.

Absolutely Phillips is the more talented and more naturally gifted prospect.
Phillips is just too unpredictable of a prospect when thinking about what really drives him. Major red flag if it's not football.

[tweet
Originally posted by AsianJeff:
Phillips is just too unpredictable of a prospect when thinking about what really drives him. Major red flag if it's not football.

No one truly knows the answer to that...what I read was UCLA basically forced him to retire because of concussions. It wasn't, hey I'm gonna quit because I hate football and want to be a rapper (from what I've read from Dane Brugler).

He clearly still loves the game enough to come back and play regardless of the head injuries. Borland is a guy that didn't love football enough, he never came back.

My only issue is the concussions (more than drive). I can't say if he loves football enough or not.... that's a question I'm sure he's got to answer 32 times over the next month.

No one truly knows the answer to that...what I read was UCLA basically forced him to retire because of concussions. It wasn't, hey I'm gonna quit because I hate football and want to be a rapper (from what I've read from Dane Brugler).

He clearly still loves the game enough to come back and play regardless of the head injuries. Borland is a guy that didn't love football enough, he never came back.

My only issue is the concussions (more than drive). I can't say if he loves football enough or not.... that's a question I'm sure he's got to answer 32 times over the next month.

And definitely a valid question. As soon as he signs that rookie contract, especially as a 1st round pick, will he be looking forward to leaving practice to get to the new expensive studio to start working on tracks, or will he stick around to workout with Bosa a little bit more.
And definitely a valid question. As soon as he signs that rookie contract, especially as a 1st round pick, will he be looking forward to leaving practice to get to the new expensive studio to start working on tracks, or will he stick around to workout with Bosa a little bit more.

we will see, I'm not burning a top 12 pick on him that's for sure...talent wise he's the best EDGE in this class though.

we will see, I'm not burning a top 12 pick on him that's for sure...talent wise he's the best EDGE in this class though.

The best way to impact opposing qbs in the NFL is a great pass rush like the niners had in 2019. Nick bosa and jaelan phillips would terrorize and rag doll qbs. I know there are question marks but his coach at Miami says yeah he has other interests like his music but he loves football. He said he practiced hard and played with great effort. We have to all realize this isn't flag football and anybody can get hurt. His talent warrants for him to go top 10 but he needs to pass the physical check.
Share 49ersWebzone