There are 175 users in the forums

Jaelan Phillips-EDGE-Miami

Rousseau's replacement at Miami, a UCLA transfer that just had an outstanding season and announced yesterday that he's entering the draft. He's had a series of injury issues in college but remained healthy at Miami and his natural combination of skills and athleticism is a perfect fit for this defense. He would bring a faster, more explosive skillset off the edge, a guy that can run down some of the faster, mobile QB's that have given the 49ers fits at times.

Posted about him in the edge rusher thread

Would be a ideal fit in this scheme
His club/arm over is by far his most effective move at this stage, but he also has the bend to go with the clear burst and speed to clear the corner. Add in his length, and he's comfortably EDGE2

If we don't go QB early in the draft this year, I'm hoping for a Caleb Farley (CB) and Jaelan Phillips one-two punch. I've been thinking his injury history would have him drop, but he's probably a 1st rounder regardless.
[ Edited by adrianlesnar on Dec 23, 2020 at 11:57 PM ]
Where's he slated to go?
Originally posted by adrianlesnar:
His club/arm over is by far his most effective move at this stage, but he also has the bend to go with the clear burst and speed to clear the corner. Add in his length, and he's comfortably EDGE2

If we don't go QB early in the draft this year, I'm hoping for a Caleb Farley (CB) and Jaelan Phillips one-two punch. I've been thinking his injury history would have him drop, but he's probably a 1st rounder regardless.

That's would be a great combo with no trade or QB pick. Also saw a recent mock where Surtain dropped to them. Then try and sign a C.
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Where's he slated to go?

Top 50 prospect
Originally posted by adrianlesnar:

That's would be a great combo with no trade or QB pick. Also saw a recent mock where Surtain dropped to them. Then try and sign a C.

I like Patrick Jones out of Pittsburgh coupled with a CB if we don't go QB as well.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Where's he slated to go?

Top 50 prospect

Yeah my target is Cory lindsley from Green Bay. They've already drafted his replacement
His partner opposite from him is better IMO. Quincy Roche will be a stud.

Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
His partner opposite from him is better IMO. Quincy Roche will be a stud.

Completely disagree. Phillips is the best of the three at Miami and I don't think it is particularly close.

Roche has a a great get off but he is pretty much a one-trick pony. He primarily uses speed. Who knows if he actually has a varied repertoire of technique. Maybe he just uses speed in college because it works. When he gets to the NFL, he's going to have to develop more than just that. He isn't overly physical and will probably be a liability in the run game early on in the NFL. I like him more than Rousseau.

I was a fan of Rousseau's before I started to actually watch him. I got caught up in the numbers. Rousseau plays with way too much verticality. He is upright in his stance and get off. I think leverage will unfortunately be his downfall in the NFL as a prospect. Just an observation as well; go watch all of his sacks. He is lined up over an offensive guard on almost every one of them.

Phillips is just an absolute stud of a prospect. He has a similar trait to Bosa and it is hand placement. It never seems like an offensive lineman can get their hands on him. He plays with fantastic leverage and doesn't need a quick get off the get to the QB (although he has it). He is also a stud in the run game.
[ Edited by HarbaughzDeep on Dec 29, 2020 at 7:14 PM ]
I expect Roche to go to a 3-4 team.
He can be there at 10-12 where we're probably stated to pick after this loss to Seattle on Sunday right? Wouldn't be mad if we picked an edge rusher, it's what pretty much got us to the SB
Originally posted by random49er:
I expect Roche to go to a 3-4 team.

Agree, he is a 3-4 OLB. I also agree with other poster that Rosseau is vastly overrated
Keep seeing him going in the 1st in a lot of mocks, did he actually show anything at UCLA ? I know he was the top recruit in the country
Share 49ersWebzone