Shop 49ers game tickets

Mac Jones-QB-Jaguars

Originally posted by HawkBearPig:
Originally posted by gored49:
Originally posted by roasthawg:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Oh we're back to comparing college prospects to greats

Yeah it's fun...he's clearly gonna be Drew Brees. I mean the Jets and Jags are gonna pass on that though

That's because you got Elway and Rodgers ahead of him. Honestly this is an incredible class of qb prospects. Most interesting one ever. Hell of a draft to trade up to three. I love it.

It all makes sense to me now. Why are the 49ers of all teams anti Jones? I just watched his top 10 plays after announcing his retirement and it donned on me... Mac jones is Alex smith. We all love Alex but so many bad memories of passing on Rodgers and Smith always making the short safe play and gaining 9 yards on 3 downs. The majority of niner fans have hopes for something more.

No lol. He's not. Not even close. Alex was way more tentative and risk-averse. You Mac Jones haters can't even hate on him accurately lol.

ive also seen the Andy dalton comp. again, it even close. Dalton was LESS athletic and also not nearly as good at reading defenses, something you can go look up directly from his scouting report if you are so inclined.

"that stupid Mac Jones, worse DE prospect in YEARS! Plus he went to Oregon, stupid school"
- someone in this thread, somewhere, probably.
I don't remember much of smith out of college off the top of my head and mostly just was referencing the situation. If jones is average and one of the other qbs is the next Rodgers we will be feeling deja vu.

I did look up an Alex smith draft profile and it is pretty similar to jones minus the mobility part
http://www.footballsfuture.com/2005/prospects/alex_smith.html

the way jones plays I would not be surprised if he turns out more like Smith. He won't have all those WRs open consistently.
No lol. He's not. Not even close. Alex was way more tentative and risk-averse. You Mac Jones haters can't even hate on him accurately lol.

ive also seen the Andy dalton comp. again, it even close. Dalton was LESS athletic and also not nearly as good at reading defenses, something you can go look up directly from his scouting report if you are so inclined.

"that stupid Mac Jones, worse DE prospect in YEARS! Plus he went to Oregon, stupid school"

Huh?
Alex was a much better prospect coming out than Mac is, and the league gobbled him up. Alex was clearly one of the most intelligent players around, quick to process but he didn't have what it takes to become an elite QB. That is the Mac Jones future: smart guy, will be alright, have a decent alex-esque career. You should not settle for that at 3
If we do draft Jones, we can call our QB and Oline Mac and Swiss Cheese
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by frenchmov:
Alex was a much better prospect coming out than Mac is, and the league gobbled him up. Alex was clearly one of the most intelligent players around, quick to process but he didn't have what it takes to become an elite QB. That is the Mac Jones future: smart guy, will be alright, have a decent alex-esque career. You should not settle for that at 3

Alex lacked the killer instinct that I think Mac might have.

Yeah it's fun...he's clearly gonna be Drew Brees. I mean the Jets and Jags are gonna pass on that though

That's because you got Elway and Rodgers ahead of him. Honestly this is an incredible class of qb prospects. Most interesting one ever. Hell of a draft to trade up to three. I love it.

It all makes sense to me now. Why are the 49ers of all teams anti Jones? I just watched his top 10 plays after announcing his retirement and it donned on me... Mac jones is Alex smith. We all love Alex but so many bad memories of passing on Rodgers and Smith always making the short safe play and gaining 9 yards on 3 downs. The majority of niner fans have hopes for something more.

I don't remember much of smith out of college off the top of my head and mostly just was referencing the situation. If jones is average and one of the other qbs is the next Rodgers we will be feeling deja vu.

I did look up an Alex smith draft profile and it is pretty similar to jones minus the mobility part

the way jones plays I would not be surprised if he turns out more like Smith. He won't have all those WRs open consistently.

You might see some similarities in terms of some of the superlatives that are thrown around (smart, quick processing) but they ran vastly different offenses and overall are just different quarterbacks. Nobody was saying that smith threw receivers open in college, and nobody was praising his anticipation. In fact, one of the common critiques he got was that he needs to see receivers open before he throws, something that, while he did improve on later in his career, never completely went away.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jcs:
What are you going to do when it's not Fields?

What are you gonna do if it is fields

Accept it and you if it's Jones

Based on what, exactly?...they have eerily similar college careers especially considering the talent around them.
What are you going to do when it's not Fields?

What are you gonna do if it is fields

Accept it and you if it's Jones

Accept Jones at the pick. Put Shanahan and Lynch on the warm/hot seat and let them prove us wrong. I think we trade Jimmy as soon as possible in that scenario, and we hope that Jones shows immediate returns in his rookie season as he'll have less runway than the other two guys.

You might see some similarities in terms of some of the superlatives that are thrown around (smart, quick processing) but they ran vastly different offenses and overall are just different quarterbacks. Nobody was saying that smith threw receivers open in college, and nobody was praising his anticipation. In fact, one of the common critiques he got was that he needs to see receivers open before he throws, something that, while he did improve on later in his career, never completely went away.

I will disagree with you here. The games I watched I rarely saw Jones throw his player open. I saw more scheme opening players up or the receiver getting good separation.

Most accurate mock draft ever has us picking Jones...

https://www.si.com/nfl/49ers/news/most-accurate-2021-49ers-mock-draft-in-existence

Based on...? The fact that Jones frequently passes up open throws down the field for checkdowns?
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 1swift:

Based on what, exactly?...they have eerily similar college careers especially considering the talent around them.

To begin with Alex wasn't really a deep ball threat in college. Mac Jones was. His deep ball accuracy made his #1 WR into a Heisman winner.
[ Edited by jcs on Apr 20, 2021 at 6:07 PM ]

I will disagree with you here. The games I watched I rarely saw Jones throw his player open. I saw more scheme opening players up or the receiver getting good separation.

I mean, it's out there in many of his pre-draft profiles, and it's out there on film too. Other things that Mac is praised for that Alex never was are things like pocket presence / awareness, deep accuracy, using his eyes to manipulate defenders, and standing tall in the pocket and delivering when he's about to get smacked.

don't get me wrong, I admire the hell out of Alex as a person and rooted for him constantly, but as a qb he really did fall short in many of the instinctual components of the position.
Originally posted by 1swift:

To begin with Alex wasn't really a deep ball threat in college. Mac Jones was. His deep ball accuracy made his #1 WR into a Heisman winner.

He also is among the leaders of the prospects in check downs and behind the LOS throws...sure he threw deep as did Alex when he had a guy absolutely wide open but do we really know his risk profile?
Share 49ersWebzone