LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 165 users in the forums

Kyle Trask-QB-Florida

Originally posted by Waterbear:
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
Originally posted by delphs:
Can someone educate me: what goes into arm strength? Is it just something you are born with, like straight-line speed? Can it be trained? I imagine similar for pitchers.

I find it odd seeing this huge dude with a seemingly ok over-the-top release have below-average arm strength. Was watching a Josh Allen game for the first time because of playoffs, so similar big guy, and was wowed how he could fling the ball far down the field with a perfect spiral while falling backwards and off balance. So its not just legs/hips.

Didn't you watch Allen tear us up earlier in the year? I'm no expert but the Simms' talk about this a lot, Google some of their stuff, they run a QB camp and say you can absolutely learn to throw it harder.

I still think there's a God given element, also it's like a golf swing, you can rip it, but can you control it? That's the key.

Well first you got the quick twitch and the slow twitch...

Lol that was pure gold.
Rewatched the Trask vs Bama game again. It's a real good study to see his pros and cons as a prospect. He gets bashed on his release, but I actually think it looks pretty good. It's quick and throws with some velocity. The deep ball is definitely inconsistent. Had some plays where the ball died, but then you saw his fade to Grimes vs Surtain and think "wow, what a throw". He showed grit, toughness, and leadership. Willingness to target his passes vs one of the best corners in the nation. The pocket awareness was mediocre in the game. Held on to the ball sometimes. Panicked and rushed some passes. Some passes were forced into double or triple coverage. But despite being down 2-3 scores vs Bama, he really willed his team back into contention.

One thing I constantly remind myself is the fact that this was his FIRST full year as a starter since high school. He waited for his opportunity and performed admirably vs an all SEC schedule where he missed Kyle Pitts for a few games and didnt have a consistent rushing attack. I think he's got all the tools to be a pretty good NFL prospect and wouldn't mind him in the 2nd round.
Originally posted by AsianJeff:

"I haven't seen someone distribute the rock like that since my uncle"

I'm f**king dead
Originally posted by Heroism:
"I haven't seen someone distribute the rock like that since my uncle"

I'm f**king dead

I was at that, for sure lol
Trask sucks, decent college QB, hasn't got the traits to be more than a career backup IMO.

I see Mason Rudolph level.
Trask's performance against Bama is one of the most impressive tapes of any QBs in this draft. The dude was on fire against the closest thing in college to a high-level NFL defense.
Trask's performance against Bama is one of the most impressive tapes of any QBs in this draft. The dude was on fire against the closest thing in college to a high-level NFL defense.

I agree, and he's a respectable prospect. QB7 in fact
Trask sucks, decent college QB, hasn't got the traits to be more than a career backup IMO.

I see Mason Rudolph level.

Seriously don't understand the "Trask sucks" opinion, especially the performance he had this past season.

Hasn't had a lot of playing time and I feel like there's a lot of untapped potential. If we don't go QB in the 1st, i'd be ok with Trask in the 2nd/3rd to develop.

I've watched that game twice, a couple of decent throws, but Toney & Pitts were torching people. A worthy NFL QB would have won that game.

I've watched that game twice, a couple of decent throws, but Toney & Pitts were torching people. A worthy NFL QB would have won that game.

I think there are more than a couple of decent throws. That video above highlighted some of his better throws and didn't include this seed.

Wow, check out this throw from the endzone cam. Threaded the needle.

The 49ers haven't had a QB that can throw the fade as well as Trask since, s**t, Steve Young?

[ Edited by Heroism on Feb 16, 2021 at 1:45 PM ]

That video I posted showed some very impressive traits IMO. And it wasn't just anyone Trask was targeting, it was the Bama defense. It was Surtain vs Grimes, too. It was an ok offensive line vs that Bama front 7, yet Trask showed some skill to keep the game close.

His game vs Georgia playing vs Stokes/Campbell/LeCounte and he still played very well.

Trask deserves way more credit.
I personally don't find Trask to be too far behind Mac jones
Originally posted by adrianlesnar:

I think Mac throws the ball more consistently and which much better accuracy. Trask is probably a step behind all the positive traits that Mac has. One big difference is Trask's size and his mechanics. If he's in the right offensive system that really fixes his footwork, I can see his arm strength and accuracy developing.
Originally posted by adrianlesnar:

I'm not a fan of either, I do think Mac throws with more anticipation and touch though. Pitts would make any QB look acceptable.
Share 49ersWebzone