LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 206 users in the forums

Kyle Trask-QB-Florida

Originally posted by delphs:
Can someone educate me: what goes into arm strength? Is it just something you are born with, like straight-line speed? Can it be trained? I imagine similar for pitchers.

I find it odd seeing this huge dude with a seemingly ok over-the-top release have below-average arm strength. Was watching a Josh Allen game for the first time because of playoffs, so similar big guy, and was wowed how he could fling the ball far down the field with a perfect spiral while falling backwards and off balance. So its not just legs/hips.

Didn't you watch Allen tear us up earlier in the year? I'm no expert but the Simms' talk about this a lot, Google some of their stuff, they run a QB camp and say you can absolutely learn to throw it harder.

I still think there's a God given element, also it's like a golf swing, you can rip it, but can you control it? That's the key.
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
Originally posted by delphs:
Can someone educate me: what goes into arm strength? Is it just something you are born with, like straight-line speed? Can it be trained? I imagine similar for pitchers.

I find it odd seeing this huge dude with a seemingly ok over-the-top release have below-average arm strength. Was watching a Josh Allen game for the first time because of playoffs, so similar big guy, and was wowed how he could fling the ball far down the field with a perfect spiral while falling backwards and off balance. So its not just legs/hips.

Didn't you watch Allen tear us up earlier in the year? I'm no expert but the Simms' talk about this a lot, Google some of their stuff, they run a QB camp and say you can absolutely learn to throw it harder.

I still think there's a God given element, also it's like a golf swing, you can rip it, but can you control it? That's the key.

Well first you got the quick twitch and the slow twitch...
Still think he's worth a 2nd round investment if we don't take a QB at #12.
What is the general consensus in the Zone on Trask? I for one think he's overrated and the Niners should avoid him altogether. What say you?
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
What is the general consensus in the Zone on Trask? I for one think he's overrated and the Niners should avoid him altogether. What say you?

pretty sure i'm the only one on the Trask bandwagon.

Drafting him means taking a year to develop. He doesnt have a laser arm, but he throws a very catchable deep ball. Tends to get happy feet, but he's shown he can handle pressure and has good pocket awareness. Trask also doesn't have a lot of starter experience, so I feel like there's some potential there especially with how he performed in his one full yr as a starter vs a tough SEC schedule.
[ Edited by AsianJeff on Feb 1, 2021 at 10:44 AM ]
Originally posted by AsianJeff:

Drafting him means taking a year to develop. He doesnt have a laser arm, but he throws a very catchable deep ball. Tends to get happy feet, but he's shown he can handle pressure and has good pocket awareness. Trask also doesn't have a lot of starter experience, so I feel like there's some potential there especially with how he performed in his one full yr as a starter vs a tough SEC schedule.

I'm with you.

I'd like to get him in the 3rd, but I don't know if he'd be there and we don't have a pick there right now anyway so we'd have to move up. He's probably a 2nd rounder anyway. I saw somebody mention his throwing motion. I don't see a problem there. He's not the fastest but he's also not Tim Tebow winding up to throw the four seamer.

I've also seen him deep ball and arm strength critiqued. And, yeah, he misses some deep throws but I've also seen him absolutely put dimes out there. So he can make the throw, he just needs to get more consistency around it. His misses are probably because he's trying to dial up more velocity when he doesn't necessarily need to.

His short to intermediate game, where we are designed to do damage, is money. I've seen his mobility compared to Tom Brady and I don't buy that at all. I've seen him on designed runs and scrambling. He's not Lamar, but he isn't a statue either. He runs smart and he's tough. He could convert short yardage and goaline sets with his feet if asked to.

I'd spend a 2nd on him, but I'd love to see him get overlooked and fall to us in the 4th. He'd be a good piece to stash on the roster and either end up starting in a few years or as a good part to trade.
Originally posted by boomer49er:

I'm with you.

I'd like to get him in the 3rd, but I don't know if he'd be there and we don't have a pick there right now anyway so we'd have to move up. He's probably a 2nd rounder anyway. I saw somebody mention his throwing motion. I don't see a problem there. He's not the fastest but he's also not Tim Tebow winding up to throw the four seamer.

I've also seen him deep ball and arm strength critiqued. And, yeah, he misses some deep throws but I've also seen him absolutely put dimes out there. So he can make the throw, he just needs to get more consistency around it. His misses are probably because he's trying to dial up more velocity when he doesn't necessarily need to.

His short to intermediate game, where we are designed to do damage, is money. I've seen his mobility compared to Tom Brady and I don't buy that at all. I've seen him on designed runs and scrambling. He's not Lamar, but he isn't a statue either. He runs smart and he's tough. He could convert short yardage and goaline sets with his feet if asked to.

I'd spend a 2nd on him, but I'd love to see him get overlooked and fall to us in the 4th. He'd be a good piece to stash on the roster and either end up starting in a few years or as a good part to trade.

Yup, agreed. I think his 2020 game tape is an awesome watch, but if someone just wanted to see the potential, his game vs Bama, Georgia, and Arkansas were fun.

I don't see a problem with the throwing motion, either, nor do I think he's a statue. Like Mac Jones, he moves well within the pocket. I don't think he'll end up being an elite QB, but I think he'd play very well in Shanahan's offense. I see a lot of Alex Smith in his game (intelligence and accurate with the check downs and short range passing) with a bit of Dak Prescott (catchable deep ball).

I wouldn't mind spending a 2nd round pick on him.

I'm with you.

+2. Wish they could get him in the 3rd Rd. but there's a good chance he's gone by then.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
I would take him in the 2nd. I want Pitts at 12. Am perfectly fine getting Trask in the 2nd and sitting him a season. I may be ok starting him and cutting or trading Jimmy and use the money for O line and Defense
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pd24:
I would take him in the 2nd. I want Pitts at 12. Am perfectly fine getting Trask in the 2nd and sitting him a season. I may be ok starting him and cutting or trading Jimmy and use the money for O line and Defense

He's Alex Smith all over again... we don't want him.. we're better off waiting for the Bears to dump Trubisky..

• pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9moon:

He's Alex Smith all over again... we don't want him.. we're better off waiting for the Bears to dump Trubisky..

Alex Smith with a great team was really good. If you add Pitts, Alex didn't have an offense like this.

Why would be want Trubisky when we already have a better QB?
  • 9moon
  • Veteran

Why would be want Trubisky when we already have a better QB?

Trubisky over Trask, I'm saying we're better off with him..
I've only watched 3, nearly 4 games, I normally like to do more, but I can tell this is a hard pass from me.

Wouldn't take him before the 6th round.

Slow delivery + weak floaty balls = many interceptions.

Unless he speeds up his release this guy will be Nathan Peterman, even if he does he's then Nick Mullens.
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
I've only watched 3, nearly 4 games, I normally like to do more, but I can tell this is a hard pass from me.

Wouldn't take him before the 6th round.

Slow delivery + weak floaty balls = many interceptions.

Unless he speeds up his release this guy will be Nathan Peterman, even if he does he's then Nick Mullens.

I respectfully disagree. I honestly don't see the "slow delivery" argument. Even JTO's study clips said he had a good release. It's when he tries to drive the ball at times is where he tends to have some trouble, but those mechanics can be developed in the pro level. If he can do a pretty good job in college throwing that deep ball, I think it could translate well with proper coaching and sitting a year.
Share 49ersWebzone