LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 261 users in the forums

Kyle Trask-QB-Florida

Originally posted by 9moon:
Originally posted by zero:
I've seen him being mocked to us more more and I wouldn't complain. Saw him live last year in Baton Rouge and he held his own against Burrow and made me a little bit nervous at times because he's a fierce competitor. Wouldn't be the worst thing we've ever done.

FIRST TEST COMING - Alabama

Can't wait for that game, but let's not forget what Trask did vs Georgia, Kentucky, TA&M, and even South Carolina's tough defense. And this is his first full season starting since junior high.
Originally posted by 9moon:
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Just looked at Walter Football's latest (12/1) analysis of this draft's QB class. Overall, I was underwhelmed by it. I think there's Trevor Lawrence at the top of the class and with all the skills and experience you'd want with the no. 1 pick. While I like what Zach Wilson's done this season, BYU hasn't exactly played a tough schedule by any means. Read in a different website he's got a throwing shoulder issue...had surgery on it once already and could require another. Between Trask, Fields & Lance, none look to have the skillsets of this year's Tua, Burrow, or Herbert. This year's top QB rookies can make all the throws, but also have the athleticism and "quicks" to escape pressure and get a 1st down when they need to. I see Trask & Lance as plodders, who rely on their pocket presence to make plays. That's ok, but in today's NFL having movement skills is becoming more and more important. Fields has excellent mobility, but lacks pocket presence. BL: this may not be the year to draft a QB with serious intentions of them becoming starters any time soon other than Lawrence.

Who claims Wilson has issues with his shoulder? The way he's throwing the ball many QBs would hope for similar shoulder injuries.

Plus Brees had shoulder issues and Dolphins didn't sign him because of it. All it led to was a HOF record setting career with the Saints.

Miami and Nick Saban didn't like the way Brees injured his right elbow from the Pro Bowl and that's why they went with Culpepper.... the worst part is, Nolan

didn't think that the elbow would hold at all and that's why he went with Akilex Smith.

Mike Nolan would've turned Drew Brees into Archie Manning or Jim Plunkett with the 49ers.
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
Originally posted by 9erred:
The question is who would help the Niners win, JG or a rookie not named trevor lawrence. If the answer is JG, the Niners have their qb.......

It's not and they don't.

I would disagree, but JG can't stay healthy. Time to move on.
Originally posted by DASeiler49:
The question is who would help the Niners win, JG or a rookie not named trevor lawrence. If the answer is JG, the Niners have their qb.......

It's not and they don't.

In addition to that, he can't consistently throw outside the seams down the field, which allows the defense to focus on the run game, which forces Shanahan to spend 5000 hours a week scheming trick plays.
I watched more film of Trask and he looks like an upgrade from Jimmy. The ball placement is incredible and he's a better runner than Jimmy.

If somehow we could get him or Jones in the second round I'd be all for it.

But in reality I doubt that happens so trading up for Lance or Wilson is the way to go IMO.
Originally posted by Waterbear:
I watched more film of Trask and he looks like an upgrade from Jimmy. The ball placement is incredible and he's a better runner than Jimmy.

But in reality I doubt that happens so trading up for Lance or Wilson is the way to go IMO.

I'm thinking we'd have to trade up for Trask or Jones, too. Lots of teams are going to want a QB in that 20-30 picking range.
I wish Trask had a hose.
Originally posted by Heroism:
I wish Trask had a hose.

If he had a big arm he'd be Big Ben.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

that's why I wish he had a hose.
I wish Trask had a hose.

It'd be nice, but I think he'd still be effective in the league.

I'm thinking we'd have to trade up for Trask or Jones, too. Lots of teams are going to want a QB in that 20-30 picking range.

I know QBs are in demand but feels like every year people act like every QB worth a damn will go top 15/1st round and almost every year a bunch of those QBs don't go anywhere near where people think.

Jones and Trask are likely to be those guys.

Whether it's fair or not teams do tend to value physical tools very highly. These guys aren't up on the same level as the top 4 in this class. Doubt anyone will be reaching just to get QB but we'll see how it all shakes out.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I wish Trask had a hose.

But he doesn't and will be a bust
I know QBs are in demand but feels like every year people act like every QB worth a damn will go top 15/1st round and almost every year a bunch of those QBs don't go anywhere near where people think.

Whether it's fair or not teams do tend to value physical tools very highly. These guys aren't up on the same level as the top 4 in this class. Doubt anyone will be reaching just to get QB but we'll see how it all shakes out.

Agree. The traits and tools are what's evaluated the most imo. Those 2 have ZERO elite traits and are day 3 selections if evaluated on that alone, but both have other things going for them that can't be denied nor taken away from them as they are having an outstanding season.

I think this year is different due to the pending smaller salary cap. Teams with big QB contracts will look to save some money by drafting a QB and trading their starter now.

I fully expect the top 6 QBs to go within the top 20 picks.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DASeiler49:

It's not and they don't.

... and HOW do you know that the next QB we have CAN stay healthy ??

unless you want CJ and Mullen, no D in the NFL would want to hurt them, in fact, the opposing coach would all have the same game plan !!

KEEP MULLEN or CJ IN THE GAME !!

[ Edited by 9moon on Dec 10, 2020 at 8:00 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone