LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 305 users in the forums

Are There Any Scrambling QB's?

Are there any scrambling QB's in this upcoming draft like Lamar, Russell or Kyler?
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Are there any scrambling QB's in this upcoming draft like Lamar, Russell or Kyler?

Not sure, but if there is, we better draft him before the Rams do. My heart can't take it.
Scrambling alone isn't what makes those guys so hard to defend. There are a ton of trash QBs in college that can run. Those guys are special because of their ability to PASS first and run second.
Originally posted by Heroism:
Scrambling alone isn't what makes those guys so hard to defend. There are a ton of trash QBs in college that can run. Those guys are special because of their ability to PASS first and run second.

Also true. That said, I think the next one is D'eriq King out of Miami.

My mind immediately jumps to trey lance, D'eriq King, and this might be a stretch but Kellen Mond from Texas A&M
Justin Fields, Ohio State, 6'3" 230...

41 touchdowns, 3 interceptions as a redshirt Freshman.

Live arm, EXTREMELY poised, he's mobile, but not necessarily a scrambler. Very active feet in the pocket, knows how to climb, retreat and move laterally in between the tackles.

I might actually like him more than Lawrence.
Originally posted by Heroism:

And get in the dirt or out of bounds for the next play, not to mention slide after 1st downs.

Tbh....with today's rules,...it really doesn't make much sense pursuing guys that aren't mobile.
[ Edited by random49er on Sep 17, 2020 at 3:30 PM ]
Originally posted by DaBeegDeek:
Justin Fields, Ohio State, 6'3" 230...

41 touchdowns, 3 interceptions as a redshirt Freshman.

Live arm, EXTREMELY poised, he's mobile, but not necessarily a scrambler. Very active feet in the pocket, knows how to climb, retreat and move laterally in between the tackles.

I might actually like him more than Lawrence.

Dang only if we pick top five
Hopefully, we avoid them.

Lawrence can run and throw
How much does Kyle adhere to the arcehtype of the "Shanahan System QB" with pocket passers like Ryan, Schaub, JG, Cousins etc. He's had to work with the likes of RG3 and Manziel, but it seems those type of aforementioned pocket-passing QBs are what's preferred. Curious how he felt about Watson and Mahomes in the draft regarding if they fit the characteristics of a "Shanahan QB".
[ Edited by ninerFate on Sep 18, 2020 at 2:58 PM ]
Originally posted by ninerFate:
How much does Kyle adhere to the arcehtype of the "Shanahan System QB" with pocket passers like Ryan, Schaub, JG, Cousins etc. He's had to work with the likes of RG3 and Manziel, but it seems those type of aforementioned pocket-passing QBs are what's preferred. Curious how he felt about Watson and Mahomes in the draft regarding if they fit the characteristics of a "Shanahan QB".

Yeah I'm surprised he passed on both, only bc I feel Mahomes and Watson can play in any scheme and be great at it. to me they aren't scrambling QBs, they just take advantage of their athleticism when they have the chance and a play breaks down.
Originally posted by jersey49er:

Yeah I'm surprised he passed on both, only bc I feel Mahomes and Watson can play in any scheme and be great at it. to me they aren't scrambling QBs, they just take advantage of their athleticism when they have the chance and a play breaks down.

I agree, though I guess what I was getting it is how much would Kyle be willing to have QBs like them? I wonder how much he gets tunnel-vision for players who fit that particular "type" that he really, really wants for his system ie the prototype and following the checkboxes to stringent levels. After all, he was going for Cousins initially instead of taking a chance on either Mahomes or Watson during that draft. Another example was how Walsh chose Carmazzi and the latter apparently checked the boxes of what a "Walsh QB" was. If they were available, would he draft someone like Fields or Trey Lance? Or would he prefer "the prototype" like a Daniel Jones-like skillset. I think Burrow definitely would've had an ideal skillset for Kyle.
[ Edited by ninerFate on Sep 18, 2020 at 4:07 PM ]
Originally posted by jersey49er:

I agree, though I guess what I was getting it is how much would Kyle be willing to have QBs like them? I wonder how much he gets tunnel-vision for players who fit that particular "type" that he really, really wants for his system ie the prototype and following the checkboxes to stringent levels. After all, he was going for Cousins initially instead of taking a chance on either Mahomes or Watson during that draft. Another example was how Walsh chose Carmazzi and the latter apparently checked the boxes of what a "Walsh QB" was. If they were available, would he draft someone like Fields or Trey Lance? Or would he prefer "the prototype" like a Daniel Jones-like skillset. I think Burrow definitely would've had an ideal skillset for Kyle.

Yeah I understand, Obviously Shanahans type is a pocket passer, quick release, get the ball out fast, it's more of football IQ then athleticism I think, athleticism is a plus. I think Fields is great and would fit well bc he's not a 1 read run type, not to familiar with Lance, but all that said let's just hope we aren't talking about drafting a QB high, I believe Jimmy G is and will play way better as he gets his weapons back, by week 4 they should all be back.
Share 49ersWebzone