LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 317 users in the forums

Draft order without 2020 season

Originally posted by jersey49er:
Could you imagine if the niners won it, what a predicament Shanahan would face, say bye bye to Jimmy and take Trevor Lawrence or go Jamarr Chase or the OT from Oregon.

Why would we say bye bye to Garoppolo?
Originally posted by English:
Could you imagine if the niners won it, what a predicament Shanahan would face, say bye bye to Jimmy and take Trevor Lawrence or go Jamarr Chase or the OT from Oregon.

So you'd keep Jimmy G instead of drafting Trevor Lawrence ?

Hang on, I didn't say either. You were the one who came out with a decision. I see no reason to dump an established qb for a rookie. Cap-wise you could have 2- 3 years of carrying them both, if you wished. I don't like relying on a rookie, even one as good as Lawrence. There is a whole long list of top qb prospects who have busted.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

Hang on, I didn't say either. You were the one who came out with a decision. I see no reason to dump an established qb for a rookie. Cap-wise you could have 2- 3 years of carrying them both, if you wished. I don't like relying on a rookie, even one as good as Lawrence. There is a whole long list of top qb prospects who have busted.

Jimmy is still in his prime - I wouldn't want to replace him with a rookie, unless he has a terrible year or something.
Originally posted by mayo49:
Jimmy is still in his prime - I wouldn't want to replace him with a rookie, unless he has a terrible year or something.

An interesting question. I might still take Lawrence if I had the opportunity since many think he's one of those generational talents. He could sit a year and learn Kyle's system and if he picked it up they could trade Jimmy and get a high pick. Then they have a QB for 4 more years on a rookie contract. I would also consider Sewell because he's a tremendous talent at tackle. If Jimmy improves this year and shows he can consistently hit the deep sideline pass and cut down the bad INT's then I would go with Sewell. I say stupid INTs meaning the ones that are poor decisions not the ones made because he was trying to fit the ball in a tight window. Those are going to happen. If they drafted Lawrence and sat him for one year that would give them 2 more years to evaluate Jimmy (this year and 2021 assuming they play a full season). If they still love Jimmy after 2021 then they could trade Lawrence.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Maybe the top 10 of last season becomes a lottery and the rest of the 22 spots stay the same.
What if the college season was cancelled as well? Then what?
Originally posted by mayo49:

They would trade out for future picks, they don't have cap space for a #1 overall.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
An interesting question. I might still take Lawrence if I had the opportunity since many think he's one of those generational talents. He could sit a year and learn Kyle's system and if he picked it up they could trade Jimmy and get a high pick. Then they have a QB for 4 more years on a rookie contract. I would also consider Sewell because he's a tremendous talent at tackle. If Jimmy improves this year and shows he can consistently hit the deep sideline pass and cut down the bad INT's then I would go with Sewell. I say stupid INTs meaning the ones that are poor decisions not the ones made because he was trying to fit the ball in a tight window. Those are going to happen. If they drafted Lawrence and sat him for one year that would give them 2 more years to evaluate Jimmy (this year and 2021 assuming they play a full season). If they still love Jimmy after 2021 then they could trade Lawrence.

Having Jimmy and Lawrence would be a nightmare for Shanahan.

Jimmy throws an interception........."we want Lawrence!!"

I´d draft that OT.

I´m not as high on Lawrence.
[ Edited by Monsterniner on Aug 9, 2020 at 11:29 AM ]
Originally posted by Monsterniner:
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

Having Jimmy and Lawrence would be a nightmare for Shanahan.

Jimmy throws an interception........."we want Lawrence!!"

I´d draft that OT.

I´m not as high on Lawrence.

I don't think Shanahan is that bothered by chants from the great unwashed. I would take Lawrence but keep Garoppolo at least for a couple of years. You would take a tackle? And sit Williams or McG? No, a good qb will always be the best trade bait.

I don't think Shanahan is that bothered by chants from the great unwashed. I would take Lawrence but keep Garoppolo at least for a couple of years. You would take a tackle? And sit Williams or McG? No, a good qb will always be the best trade bait.

I´d let Williams go. Too expensive.
[ Edited by Monsterniner on Aug 9, 2020 at 12:36 PM ]

I don't think he would mind having a guy like Lawrence. Walsh put up with it during the Montana/Young era and used it to drive both of them to play better. There's no guarantee that Lawrence will be great but there's no guarantee that Jimmy will rise to the top 5 level. It's all speculation now anyway. I doubt they would get lucky enough to have the first or second pick in a lottery.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 49erminion:
What if the college season was cancelled as well? Then what?

Then I think college players would be given the option to declare and the NFL would just rely on All Star games and the Combine with of course pre draft visits and Pro Days.

I wouldn't unload Jimmy or cut him, I have no confidence in a rookie QB.

Originally posted by Monsterniner:

I´d let Williams go. Too expensive.

I don't trust a Rookie Tackle to protect Jimmy, that's why I was against a T at 14, I don't see Kyle taking a T high to put at LT in his rookie year. Big reason why we traded for Trent. So he's expensive in the future, he's well worth the money, having one of the best T duos in the NFL would be great.

IMO, the NFL would likely implement a lottery like the NBA and NHL where the worst record teams/non-playoff teams have a shot, a 13-3 team shouldn't have the #1 pick, if we did have it, we'd trade down IMO.

There was no decision made, it was all predicaments and meant to be questions, I agree with you that no matter who the prospect the chance of him being a bust is there, I'm cool with Jimmy G being our WB bc I think he will only progress and quite the haters more and more, I agree with whoever said they'd trade the luck for future picks while getting a top player too.
[ Edited by jersey49er on Aug 9, 2020 at 7:25 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone