LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 144 users in the forums

D'Andre Swift...

So....yeah....I know there is no chance a Shanahan takes a RB in round 1 and chances aren't great he falls into round 2 if they trade down....

....but I'm I the only one with a draft crush on D'Andre Swift? Yes, I know, there are other needs and limited draft capitol...but MAN. It looks like he's be a great fit. Let McKinnon walk or take a pay cut...possibly Breida (RFA) and/or Tevin for $$$ purposes....I dunno.

My head says won't happen, but I really like that kid.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Feb 19, 2020 at 4:39 PM ]
Yeah he's a beast and would fit perfect, but like you said not much of a chance he'll be picked by ya, I see him going to Miami in the 20s
There would be nothing wrong with taking Swift. He would be a beast in Shanny's offense, but it's a question of resources. If the Niners has a full complement of picks, I would LOVE to get someone like Swift. Just will have to see what Trader John can do to get some more draft capital.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
There would be nothing wrong with taking Swift. He would be a beast in Shanny's offense, but it's a question of resources. If the Niners has a full complement of picks, I would LOVE to get someone like Swift. Just will have to see what Trader John can do to get some more draft capital.

Its like, the one thing that I see as an issue with the Niners backfield is that they are all burners, but none of them is really a workhorse. I don't mean that like, the guy who gets all the carries because I'd expect a pretty substantial sharing of the workload again, but there were times last year where it just seemed they were trying to force Tevin Coleman in that workmanlike role and he doesn't really suit it.

It Atlanta it was Coleman as the change of pace to Devonta Freeman. However they get him, I think they need a slightly sturdier back as a change of pace, particularly since McKinnon is just another burner and Brieda seems to have ended the year on Shanahans sh.....um....well you know what kind of list. :D

I know I'm dreamin. I think the closest they've ever gotten to taking a back that high was when his daddy took Clinton Portis or maybe Tatum Bell...and even then Bell was a bust and they traded Portis for Champ Bailey.

At some point, they are gonna roll all these guys over. They aren't gonna pay them big $$$. Mostert would be yer speed back, Swift your every down guy.....and then I dunno on Brieda. You get Swift cheap and under team control for 4-5 years.

Still...I'll probably be dreamin till draft day. LOL.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Feb 19, 2020 at 5:07 PM ]
Soooo we can get your thoughts on a prospect that we for sure ain't getting but not your thoughts after games anymore
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Soooo we can get your thoughts on a prospect that we for sure ain't getting but not your thoughts after games anymore

LOL....honestly I posted at midseason and they promptly lost so stayed away based on superstition alone.

Now, the thread is called thoughts after rewatching the game....and I have yet to have the fortitude to rewatch the game. Its just sitting there on my DVR.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
we already have " Run B-M-C " on the team... it's more than enough.. we add in Swift and it's just going to confuse Shanny more and he'll end up calling for more bad passing plays when we should be running !!
Originally posted by 9moon:
we already have " Run B-M-C " on the team... it's more than enough.. we add in Swift and it's just going to confuse Shanny more and he'll end up calling for more bad passing plays when we should be running !!

Right, but Brieda is a RFA and fell out of favor and Coleman is signed for only another year at about 4 million. Coleman also only averaged 4 yards per carry to Mosterts 5.6 on the same number of carries. The 49ers WILL roll over RBs on the regular moving forward, just as Shanahan senior did in Denver after TD. Mostert is under contract and won't be goin' anywhere for a bit.

Swift would be inexpensive for 4-5 years.

Funny...I seem to be arguing the point even though I know damn well Shanahan won't take a RB in round 1. LOL. I see the other team needs. Just can't help myself. LOL.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Right, but Brieda is a RFA and fell out of favor and Coleman is signed for only another year at about 4 million. Coleman also only averaged 4 yards per carry to Mosterts 5.6 on the same number of carries. The 49ers WILL roll over RBs on the regular moving forward, just as Shanahan senior did in Denver after TD. Mostert is under contract and won't be goin' anywhere for a bit.

Swift would be inexpensive for 4-5 years.

Funny...I seem to be arguing the point even though I know damn well Shanahan won't take a RB in round 1. LOL. I see the other team needs. Just can't help myself. LOL.

I wouldn't rule it out. It really depends on what kind of trades we can swing. Kyle loves RBs and like you said Brieda may or may not be back. Even if he does come back, he tends to get a lot of minor injuries that cause him to miss a game here or there.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:

Its like, the one thing that I see as an issue with the Niners backfield is that they are all burners, but none of them is really a workhorse. I don't mean that like, the guy who gets all the carries because I'd expect a pretty substantial sharing of the workload again, but there were times last year where it just seemed they were trying to force Tevin Coleman in that workmanlike role and he doesn't really suit it.

It Atlanta it was Coleman as the change of pace to Devonta Freeman. However they get him, I think they need a slightly sturdier back as a change of pace, particularly since McKinnon is just another burner and Brieda seems to have ended the year on Shanahans sh.....um....well you know what kind of list. :D

I know I'm dreamin. I think the closest they've ever gotten to taking a back that high was when his daddy took Clinton Portis or maybe Tatum Bell...and even then Bell was a bust and they traded Portis for Champ Bailey.

At some point, they are gonna roll all these guys over. They aren't gonna pay them big $$$. Mostert would be yer speed back, Swift your every down guy.....and then I dunno on Brieda. You get Swift cheap and under team control for 4-5 years.

Still...I'll probably be dreamin till draft day. LOL.

FINALLY A KNOLEDGEABLE ASSESMENT !!!!!, THX BRO, Ithought I was crazy..lol

We already have a beast at Rb so I doubt they would draft a RB in rd1.
Originally posted by Sickaa:
We already have a beast at Rb so I doubt they would draft a RB in rd1.

Well I don't think there is any question they will add a RB at some point. Brieda may or may not be back. Coleman only has a year left. Shanahan won't put all his money on Mostert. He's just not built that way.

RB IMO will be a position that will come and go during Shanahans tenure and it will likely always be more or less a "by committee" approach.

So then the question becomes how valuable a resource will they devote to it. I don't think that Mosterts presence would prevent a selection of Swift. I DO think that the Shanahan track record at the position will.

Terrell Davis.
Olandis Gary.
Mike Anderson.
Alfred Morris.
Arian Foster.

All of these guys played for Shanahan senior or junior and in this ZBS system. None of them were close to a 1st round pick.

When Portis (2nd rounder) looked like the best or one of the best RBs in the NFL, Shanny Senior up and traded him for Champ Bailey. The reason is because they have viewed RBs as somewhat disposable and that if those backs have a specific skill set (specifically they are decisive, one cut, downhill runners) the system can put them in positions to succeed.

If Swift isn't an option it isn't because of the other players on the roster. Its because they simply won't dedicate a 1st round pick to the position.

That, however, won't stop me from dreamin' about it. :D
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Feb 20, 2020 at 10:19 AM ]
I agree that we could add a rugged short yardage back that we can count on. Look at the first drive of the 2nd half in the SB. If we had that tough short yardage guy we may have gone for the first down instead of kicking a FG. If the Niners go on and score a TD it may have been an emotional back breaker for KC. Instead they get a lift because they stopped us.
[ Edited by CatchMaster80 on Feb 20, 2020 at 10:32 AM ]
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
I agree that we could add a rugged short yardage back that we can count on. Look at the first drive of the 2nd half in the SB. If we had that tough short yardage guy we may have gone for the first down instead of kicking a FG. If the Niners go on and score a TD it may have been an emotional back breaker for KC. Instead they get a lift because they stopped us.

Wilson could be that guy. He runs with alot of power.

I could see our RB group looking like this next season.

Mostert. Breida. Wilson. Coleman/Jet
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

Its not really specifically a short yardage guy I mean.

I just mean not a thin, burner type. I love Mostert and he ain't goin' anywhere anytime soon, but he is like a track start playing RB. That isn't a criticism. I think we just need another club in the bag.

A guy like swift, who is 5'9", 215, 220. He's still got some speed, can catch out of the backfield and is dangerous in the open field that you KNOW Kyle can scheme him into.

Just imagine running end arounds to ex-RB Deebo, ex RB Hurd, and having a guy like Swift in the back field with Juice and Kittle at TE. Every one of them could take the handoff or catch the pass on any given play.
Share 49ersWebzone