There are 239 users in the forums

KJ Hamler WR Penn St

• FL9er
  • Veteran
Declared
Originally posted by toppdogg32:
We have small and fast already. I'd opt for a bigger more complete guy..

Idk. Deebo is short but I don't consider him "small." The guys we have have some good RAC speed but I want keep a safety out the box top end speed.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

Idk. Deebo is short but I don't consider him "small." The guys we have have some good RAC speed but I want keep a safety out the box top end speed.

KJ is like 5-9 175lb that's like Richie James small.

I agree I would like some speed to keep defenses honest. KJ has that. I'd also be cool with bringing in someone like taylor Gabriel (who's gonna most likely get cut) on the cheap to fill in that Godwin role.
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
KJ is a beast. Would love to have him here, but I don't think it will happen.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

I agree I would like some speed to keep defenses honest. KJ has that. I'd also be cool with bringing in someone like taylor Gabriel (who's gonna most likely get cut) on the cheap to fill in that Godwin role.
Prefer Gabriel because he can be plugged right in. I'd like to see of James can do that. But it would be more fiscally responsible to draft a player.
Prefer Gabriel because he can be plugged right in. I'd like to see of James can do that. But it would be more fiscally responsible to draft a player.

I can't see Gabriel getting a ton of money in FA. I'd take Coleman's cash (team-option) and just hand that to him.

I can't see Gabriel getting a ton of money in FA. I'd take Coleman's cash (team-option) and just hand that to him.

Definitely a better option. Then use the draft pick on a running back. I am salivating at the thought of next year's team. Crazy to think we could be far better. Not necessarily in terms of record, but definitely in terms of consistency, putting together complete games, less mistakes, etc.
we for sure will draft or sign a FA speed threat since we'll be letting Goodwin walk. We all know Kyle loves to add speed
Just crazy to me how this kid in any other draft would be a 1st rd pick, best WR class ever ?

I think that they'd want to upgrade on that Goodwin role to get a true difference maker, not just a second rate decoy. Gabriel is not a guy that really moves the dial or someone that terrifies defenses. Hamler has serious Desean Jackson type potential where stopping him has to be a major part of your gameplanning on defense every game. I think they need one more major threat at WR to go along with Samuel, Sanders and Kittle as go-to receiving options.

If it comes down to one or the other, well we've seen what Gabriel is in the NFL, he's a role player at best. If they really want a true homerun threat to keep defenses on their heels, Hamler is one of the best pure speed merchants in this draft class.

It doesn't have to be Hamler but I'd hope that they set their sights higher than someone like Taylor Gabriel who is a career #3/#4 WR. I'd love to see a lightning fast receiver with legit #1 WR upside that could serve as an eventual replacement for Sanders down the road.

Also getting the deep passing game going would really solidify the last missing element from this offense.

The Niners could do a lot worse than picking up Hamler in the 2nd or 3rd round. Big time player from a big time program. Who cares about his size? It's his game you should be concerned with.

Thread showing some of his jukes and top end speed...claiming he can run 4.28
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I think that they'd want to upgrade on that Goodwin role to get a true difference maker, not just a second rate decoy. Gabriel is not a guy that really moves the dial or someone that terrifies defenses. Hamler has serious Desean Jackson type potential where stopping him has to be a major part of your gameplanning on defense every game. I think they need one more major threat at WR to go along with Samuel, Sanders and Kittle as go-to receiving options.

If it comes down to one or the other, well we've seen what Gabriel is in the NFL, he's a role player at best. If they really want a true homerun threat to keep defenses on their heels, Hamler is one of the best pure speed merchants in this draft class.

It doesn't have to be Hamler but I'd hope that they set their sights higher than someone like Taylor Gabriel who is a career #3/#4 WR. I'd love to see a lightning fast receiver with legit #1 WR upside that could serve as an eventual replacement for Sanders down the road.

Also getting the deep passing game going would really solidify the last missing element from this offense.

I like Hamler. I've been watching more of him. He does have elite speed. I don't really want to burn a top 50 pick on him though. IF he drops (which I doubt after his 40 time) I'm all for it.

As far as Gabriel, dude has serious speed in his own right.

https://www.ajc.com/sports/taylor-gabriel-named-eighth-fastest-player-the-nfl/oiEgWnDzEHSgped3z16CrJ/

I might be in the minority, but I don't envision KJ as a WR#1. Could be wrong and he's a Brandin Cooks type guy, this draft is loaded at WR and depending on where he goes I don't think the value will be there.
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
KJ Hamler
Penn St
5'9" 179 lbs
40 yard dash - has not run, estimates 4.28-4.35

I feel the need for speed, this guy is fast fast fast. May be a good deep threat somewhere toward the end of the 1st round.Redshirt sophomore.

Draft Network review

"While Hamler possesses elite physical gifts, he's also pleasantly refined. His routes possess dynamic breaks and convincing double moves. He's a willing blocker, though his technique needs a ton of work. He also shows a ton of vision as a runner. He's a threat out of the backfield and on end-arounds, and he's also a threat to score as a returner. This type of versatility is requisite for someone of Hamler's stature, especially as an NFL Draft prospect."

"Penn State's KJ Hamler ran 100 yards in roughly 11 seconds while returning the 2nd-half kickoff—a play that was called back for holding #MICHvsPSU"

link

Pro comparison = Desean Jackson

The Indiana kicker at 6:40 had me cracking up lol
If we're going WR early then I think it's definitley going to be a speed guy. Hamler has the moves that will make Kyle bone up for sure. Question is will he be around and will we pull the trigger since we've had the WR early run last few years.

I would think Kyle understands the limitations we may have so we wouldn't avoid taking a guy who can help the offense be more explosive just because of recent draft history at WR.
Share 49ersWebzone