There are 117 users in the forums

Jerry Jeudy, WR Alabama

• evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by evil:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
I also think Oakland could go all over the place in this draft. Reportedly they hate their interior DL. They could love one of the QBs and their CBs aren't good.

We will see

I think hate is too strong a word, but they want to get more talented on the IDL. Brown or Kinlaw are very very much in play at 12 for them.

And I would not rule out a trade back. They have no second round picks (but two in the third).

Raiders probably think the same about the 9ers which puts more pressure on them. IMO

Idk. Teams with needs at OT and WR may look to leap us (and Tampa/Denver) to secure their guy if their guy is still there.
I think Jeudy is the perfect weapon for Jimmy G as opposed to Ruggs. Jeudy's route running should get him wide open in the short to middle areas of the field with the ability to go deep every now and then.

Ruggs, who also is a good route runner but not on the level of Jeudy, I think would be best for a QB with a cannon of an arm like Mahomes or a Favre. I don't think Jimmy has the arm strength or deep accuracy to take true advantage of Ruggs' 4.2 speed.
Originally posted by kansasninerfan:
He can add 5 lbs of muscle, without question. I don't want him to be some rocked up stiff WR. 200lbs max.

He's Chad johnson imo. I don't think there's a single person who wouldn't take chad Johnson 2.0 (without the diva).

He had a meniscus injury end of his sophomore season and underwent surgery...he's fine now but that can always change up the following season a little. Dude had 4 high end WRs on his team this yr as well...I wouldn't imagine his stats would go up. Throw in a downgrade at QB.

Upside is he can get stronger and he can improve his hands...You can always improve and he's very young.

Bolded in quote...including 2 first rounders (one stayed in school but will go Rd 1 next year and of course Ruggs III) There are only so many balls to go around. Hard to "improve" when your QB has to feed everyone.

His route running is the best in the class. That's why I am sold. If the pick is Ruggs I'll be just as happy because I trust Kyle knows WTF he is doing and how the player Shannalynch drafts will fit the system. I would love to see all this nit-picking and smokescreen nonsense actually drop Jeudy to us at #13. I really doubt that happens though.

I have no issue with a lack of production due to a lack of opportunities, but Jeudy had plenty of targets this year (110) and had plenty of other talent around him (making it harder for teams to focus on him) and still didn't put up amazing numbers. Having all those elite receivers playing with him and Tua at QB should make him more productive on a per-target basis. Alabama even had a relatively soft schedule this year (ranked in the 40s). Alabama QBs averaged more yards per attempt and had a higher completion percentage throwing to other receivers than Jeudy this year.
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
I have no issue with a lack of production due to a lack of opportunities, but Jeudy had plenty of targets this year (110) and had plenty of other talent around him (making it harder for teams to focus on him) and still didn't put up amazing numbers. Having all those elite receivers playing with him and Tua at QB should make him more productive on a per-target basis. Alabama even had a relatively soft schedule this year (ranked in the 40s). Alabama QBs averaged more yards per attempt and had a higher completion percentage throwing to other receivers than Jeudy this year.

How you can say almost 1,200 yards at 15 ypc and 10 TDs as a lack of production is beyond me. He also played a ton more at the slot position in 2019 vs 2018, that will lower some of his overall yards when you're running more of those underneath routes.

Yes more talent, which also means less opportunities. Every single one of those WRs took full advantage of their targets.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Apr 6, 2020 at 10:25 AM ]

How you can say almost 1,200 yards at 15 ypc and 10 TDs as a lack of production is beyond me. He also played a ton more at the slot position in 2019 vs 2018, that will lower some of his overall yards when you're running more of those underneath routes.

Yes more talent, which also means less opportunities. Every single one of those WRs took full advantage of their targets.

Some more than others.

Smith:
68 receptions for 1256 yards on 91 targets
13.8 Y/T, 75% completion

Jeudy:
77 receptions for 1163 yards on 110 targets
10.6 Y/T, 70% completion

Ruggs:
40 receptions for 746 yards on 58 targets
12.9 Y/T, 69% completion

Waddle:
33 receptions for 560 yards on 40 targets
14 Y/T 82.5% completion

Alabama QBs had worse stats throwing to Jeudy than any of the other top 4 WRs on Alabama. The biggest thing that separated him and Ruggs this year is targets. Ruggs was wide open on a lot of Jeudy's highlights.
I am not as plugged in to Alabama football nearly as much as I am to Auburn,

But we can't act like Politics don't matter.

Winning matters, it absolutely matters in college, like it does the Pros. There is NOT a win at all cost ultimatum sitting on Nike Saban. He has to play politics with the football the same as every other college coach has too. Maybe more so since he is going to generally win a ton.

Jerry Jeudy could have had a 150 targets or hell maybe 200 targets under different circumstances.

When College coaches are dealing with 1a 1b 1c and 1d and the players are generally near each other in talent there are TONS of things that take place behind closed doors the NFL will never have to deal with.

Hell there are Even examples were 2A got time over a level 1 player due to connections, or being a SR or needing to lift his profile. I am not saying something like Drew Henton and Tom Brady, happens every decade, but there is examples to a lessor degree on many College rosters.

I remember Tommy Tubberville talking about Brandon Jacobs and Cadi Williams. Jacobs was CLEARLY the better College player, but all the "Booster Focus" was on Cadi as a home grown talent, versus Jacobs being a transfer. Ronnie Brown to a lesser extend even played into it. They wanted him to play fullback or even TE...but nope...not going to happen.

I have no idea how people act shocked year after year trying to figure out how players can be better in the NFL then they were in college. In a case like Jeudy, he is a player that is plugged into an offense and asked to take over the responsibility of that role. That was not built for him, or even necessarily to maximize him.
Originally posted by DoseOfBosa:
I would trade up for him if he slips out of the top 10 like a lot mocks have him doing

I'd give up 31, 2021 1st and 3rd

He's a perfect fit for Shanahan's offense

Damn. That's a hefty price.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Black24Razor:
Damn. That's a hefty price.

stupidly hefty price
That #31 pick has a lot of value to a team that wants to move up into the first round and draft a QB or some other player they want. Teams get an extra year of control over 1st round picks (5 years plus the franchise option) instead of 4.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
That #31 pick has a lot of value to a team that wants to move up into the first round and draft a QB or some other player they want. Teams get an extra year of control over 1st round picks (5 years plus the franchise option) instead of 4.

Teams don't usually exercise the 5th option for late first round picks because it isn't worth paying them the average of the 3rd through 25th highest salaries at the position. You can pretty much follow the trade value chart or add 5-10 points if you'd like because that's about all it's worth to teams.

Teams don't usually exercise the 5th option for late first round picks because it isn't worth paying them the average of the 3rd through 25th highest salaries at the position. You can pretty much follow the trade value chart or add 5-10 points if you'd like because that's about all it's worth to teams.

That may be true since few players last more than 4 years in the league but if you do hit on one it's nice to have the extra year of control.
Some more than others.

Smith:
68 receptions for 1256 yards on 91 targets
13.8 Y/T, 75% completion

Jeudy:
77 receptions for 1163 yards on 110 targets
10.6 Y/T, 70% completion

Ruggs:
40 receptions for 746 yards on 58 targets
12.9 Y/T, 69% completion

Waddle:
33 receptions for 560 yards on 40 targets
14 Y/T 82.5% completion

Alabama QBs had worse stats throwing to Jeudy than any of the other top 4 WRs on Alabama. The biggest thing that separated him and Ruggs this year is targets. Ruggs was wide open on a lot of Jeudy's highlights.

Any QB completing 70% of their balls to a WR is a good thing. Jeudy was wide open a lot when he wasn't targeted as well.
That may be true since few players last more than 4 years in the league but if you do hit on one it's nice to have the extra year of control.

If a player is moving back into the 1st it's because they have that player graded much higher. 5th yr option without question is a factor
  • krizay
  • Veteran

If a player is moving back into the 1st it's because they have that player graded much higher. 5th yr option without question is a factor

Its not the same as it used to be. If that player is worth the 5th year option you are paying him a pretty hefty price.
Share 49ersWebzone