LISTEN: 49ers Master The Later Rounds Of The Draft →

There are 151 users in the forums

Jerry Jeudy, WR Alabama

Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by krizay:
Its not the same as it used to be. If that player is worth the 5th year option you are paying him a pretty hefty price.

Huh? It's all relative...go look at AA or Buck. You got AA for $9M vs $17M. Buck was a top 10 pick, so there's a different formula, but still he was at $12M vs $21M on a LT deal. It's also less than the tag. Another yr of player control is what teams want (at least have that option).

Players contracts will continue to go up and the way the formula works, It will continue to make the 5th yr option great to have if you don't want to invest LT, yet.

What are you talking about? Armstead was never going to get $17 million/year before his breakout season last year. If anything, we probably could have signed him to a $11-12 million/year long term deal if he didn't have a 5th year option so it cost us money.

Only 3 teams from pick 20-32 decided to exercise the 5th year option for 2020. We didn't with Garnett (would have had to pay him >$10 million). The Packers saved some money with Kenny Clark and the Bengals saved money with Will Jackson but it barely made a difference for other teams. Will Fuller wasn't going to get much more than $10 million/year.

It's much more valuable for top 20 picks because those guys end up being worth keeping more often.

That's particularly true under the new CBA where the 5th year option is no longer tied to draft slot. The changes reduce the value of picks from 11-32 (and probably the value of the top picks as well if they make the pro bowl).

Compensation starts at the average of the 3rd through 25th salaries at your position. If you play at least 50% of the snaps in each of the first 3 years of at least 75% of snaps in 2 of the 3 years, you get the average of the 3rd through 20th salaries. If you make the Pro Bowl in one of the first 3 years, you get the the transition tag. If a player makes two Pro Bowls in their first 3 years, the 5th year option becomes the franchise tag.
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
What are you talking about? Armstead was never going to get $17 million/year before his breakout season last year. If anything, we probably could have signed him to a $11-12 million/year long term deal if he didn't have a 5th year option so it cost us money.

Only 3 teams from pick 20-32 decided to exercise the 5th year option for 2020. We didn't with Garnett (would have had to pay him >$10 million). The Packers saved some money with Kenny Clark and the Bengals saved money with Will Jackson but it barely made a difference for other teams. Will Fuller wasn't going to get much more than $10 million/year.

It's much more valuable for top 20 picks because those guys end up being worth keeping more often.

That's particularly true under the new CBA where the 5th year option is no longer tied to draft slot. The changes reduce the value of picks from 11-32 (and probably the value of the top picks as well if they make the pro bowl).

Compensation starts at the average of the 3rd through 25th salaries at your position. If you play at least 50% of the snaps in each of the first 3 years of at least 75% of snaps in 2 of the 3 years, you get the average of the 3rd through 20th salaries. If you make the Pro Bowl in one of the first 3 years, you get the the transition tag. If a player makes two Pro Bowls in their first 3 years, the 5th year option becomes the franchise tag.

you have absolutely no idea what any player would get on the open market, especially now that the cap is increasing... If not for the 5th yr option they more than likely let AA walk, not paying him $11-$12m a yr...if not for the 5th yr option Ward probably isn't in SF at this PT.

Yes I'm well award of the new CBA and the changes of 5th yr option.

You need to realize how much contracts are gonna go up under the new CBA as well. It's all relative. The option is another yr of control for the team plain and simple. Teams always want that option (especially in someone they felt strong enough to move up for).

At worst it's a tag, but after that pt you STILL have a couple yrs worth of a tags, without actually having to apply the tag officially.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Apr 7, 2020 at 11:09 AM ]
Originally posted by CraiginPGH:
The Niners have drafted 5 WRs since Kyle and Lynch took over. Hurd and Pettis were not measured in the 20-yd shuttle, but Samuel, James and Taylor were. Deebo Samuel was 5th in his class with a 4.14 time. Richie James was 7th in his class with a 4.17 time. Trent Taylor was tied for 3rd in his class with a 4.01 time. Undrafted free agents Bourne and Bolden had 4.21 and 4.22 times respectively. Shanahan likes WRs with quick times in the shuttle.

Jeudy ran a 4.53!

Go show me 4.53 on film...no one in their right mind thinks that time is reflective of his game. Dude clearly didn't practice the shuttle before the combine. He does not have slow feet lol
He also rarely if ever gets caught from behind. His game speed is faster then all of his combine times.
Originally posted by Heroism:
hahaha

lmao
Damn.. so filthy! Want! Want!
It sounds like Jeudy is back to being the #1 WR in the draft. A ton of mocks have the Raiders taking him ahead of us.
Originally posted by ninerFate:
It sounds like Jeudy is back to being the #1 WR in the draft. A ton of mocks have the Raiders taking him ahead of us.

Doubt it.

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
^^^^What is that pic suppose to mean. Lol
Originally posted by Kolohe:

DAS JEUDY AND A. BROWN

Raiders don't like Brown remember?
Originally posted by Waterbear:

DAS JEUDY AND A. BROWN

Good, so I hope they take Lamb and leave us with Jeudy
Originally posted by Waterbear:

DAS JEUDY AND A. BROWN

They loved Brown on the field, which is where he is in that pic
As long as we don't see photos of Jeudy copying him off the field, who cares if he's trying to learn from Brown and all the other vets he's been in contact with

Originally posted by FredFlintstone:

Man I'll be happy with either...the more I watch CeeDee the more it makes sense.

Lamb/deebo/Hurd/Kittle on 3rd down?! That's a lot of ass whooping right there.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Man I'll be happy with either...the more I watch CeeDee the more it makes sense.

Wow.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:

I'd cream my pants if we got Lamb.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Apr 7, 2020 at 3:33 PM ]
Originally posted by CraiginPGH:
The Niners have drafted 5 WRs since Kyle and Lynch took over. Hurd and Pettis were not measured in the 20-yd shuttle, but Samuel, James and Taylor were. Deebo Samuel was 5th in his class with a 4.14 time. Richie James was 7th in his class with a 4.17 time. Trent Taylor was tied for 3rd in his class with a 4.01 time. Undrafted free agents Bourne and Bolden had 4.21 and 4.22 times respectively. Shanahan likes WRs with quick times in the shuttle.

Jeudy ran a 4.53!

Go show me 4.53 on film...no one in their right mind thinks that time is reflective of his game. Dude clearly didn't practice the shuttle before the combine. He does not have slow feet lol

All this tells us is Alabama is not building work out warriors.

If Jeudy had spent ANY amount of time on the short shuttle, he would have:

A. Done it much better

B. Had the good sense to never run the thing

He clearly had no idea how he would perform running this drill. Or he would have never run it...period.

Its not going to matter, no one....thinks the guy is slow by Tight End standards.

If the 49ers don't take him because of the Shuttle, so be it, somebody is going to take him..... When we look back on this its going to be to talk about it like we do Jerry Rices 40 time, or Aaron Rodgers throwing mechanics.
Originally posted by Dshearn:
All this tells us is Alabama is not building work out warriors.

If Jeudy had spent ANY amount of time on the short shuttle, he would have:

A. Done it much better

B. Had the good sense to never run the thing

He clearly had no idea how he would perform running this drill. Or he would have never run it...period.

Its not going to matter, no one....thinks the guy is slow by Tight End standards.

If the 49ers don't take him because of the Shuttle, so be it, somebody is going to take him..... When we look back on this its going to be to talk about it like we do Jerry Rices 40 time, or Aaron Rodgers throwing mechanics.

https://mobile.twitter.com/jerryjeudy/status/1235633980558450688?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1235633980558450688&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Ftdalabamamag.com%2F2020%2F03%2F05%2Fjerry-jeudy-sounds-off-on-critics-who-question-his-lateral-quickness%2F

Jeudy will tell you himself that he's never tested well in the 3 cone or short shuttle. It's not just that he didn't train enough (I'm sure he could improve it, but he may be incapable of putting up elite times there).

It was a pretty dumb thing to post on Twitter in advance of the draft (especially adding in that he's also slow at the 3 cone). It raises questions about his quickness and whether he's already at his ceiling as a player (if he's not that quick to begin with, how much better can his route running get?).
Share 49ersWebzone