LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 293 users in the forums

What do you believe to be the saddest/most negatively impactful moment of the 49ers draft.

Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
I'm all for playing the long game in life, but you gotta know when to have a sense of urgency.

This year three for these guys (shanny and lynch). They need to put wins on the board this year. Our pass defense was so bad last year that even with a healthy Jimmy G we were not going to go far.

If their logic is that we can fix the secondary next year, they might have a hard time doing that after someone gets fired. And if the secondary isn't better, the team won't win enough games to avoid having to axe someone.

You keep insisting that someone will get fired which sounds more like sour grapes over the team not drafting the players that you wanted. Overall this team got better. The roster is far better than the one they took over in 2017. As long as they don't bomb the season completely, nobody is getting fired.

KC had an absolutely garbage secondary and they were basically a few playcalls from going to the SB. With a healthy Garoppolo and an upgraded receiving corps, this team is going to put up some major points.

Adding Bosa and Ford will do more for the pass defense than any safety or CB could have. If they get a healthy Verrett then the pass defense will be miles beyond what we saw last year.
Originally posted by Scottie15:
Picking Deebo over AJ.

Watching the Cardinals draft 2 potential studs at WR.

Yeah me too,i was sad,want AJB, but Deebo is ok
The sad part to me is when they drafted a punter, and basically said that we are rolling with our oft-injured secondary group in Verrett, Jimmie Ward, and Tartt who will probably only last a couple of games before pulling a hamstring.

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
You keep insisting that someone will get fired which sounds more like sour grapes over the team not drafting the players that you wanted. Overall this team got better. The roster is far better than the one they took over in 2017. As long as they don't bomb the season completely, nobody is getting fired.

KC had an absolutely garbage secondary and they were basically a few playcalls from going to the SB. With a healthy Garoppolo and an upgraded receiving corps, this team is going to put up some major points.

Adding Bosa and Ford will do more for the pass defense than any safety or CB could have. If they get a healthy Verrett then the pass defense will be miles beyond what we saw last year.

They won't bomb the season. But I can't imagine them winning more than 8 games. Yes, KC got to the conference championship with a bad pass defense. But we know why they really got there. Mahomes had an MVP season with 50 touchdowns. It's unrealistic to expect Jimmy to replicate that.

I don't know how many games Verrett, Jimmie Ward, and Tartt are going to last. I'd put the over/under at 6, and maybe take the under on that one. Spoon will probably start most of the games this season at RCB. And we'll probably have to rotate in Exum, Colbert, and some safeties off the street depending on their health and availability which has not been good historically.
[ Edited by Ensatsu on Apr 28, 2019 at 10:42 AM ]
Seeing Aderly go really bothered me.
Be careful with threads like this. Don't get caught up in what could have been or not getting your crushes. I absolutely sure that if you were to ask yourself and any armchair GM in here for that matter, you pick guys that flop more often then succeed.
There is a lot more joy in trying to find the things to root for then trying to find the faults.
It's all a wish and a prayer, so don't let posters in here make you fret over things you can't control but instead come in here to enjoy being a Niner fan.
Im actually pretty up beat about this draft after thinking about it for a bit. Bosa is a no brainer and both Deebo and Hurd are going to be insane yac recievers. Top that off with some of the later guys possibly being solid picks I think we did all right

Still meh on the punter but whatever
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
Originally posted by LVJay:
Originally posted by MrOrange:
To you gurus, is the safety class next year stacked?

According to Shanny | Lynch logic, yes...

One does not just come in here and take his or his job yada yada yada, blah blah blah, sha na na, da da da

And how did that workout for our edge situation?

This is chess not checkers, most people here can only see right in front of their face.

There's also opportunity cost, I mean say we got Landry last year and he looked ok. Do we pass on Bosa? No, but I doubt we get Dee Ford & Bosa.

Take just a guy at Safety, do we pass on Delpit? Probably not, but maybe the next tier of Safeties.

I'm all for playing the long game in life, but you gotta know when to have a sense of urgency.

This year three for these guys (shanny and lynch). They need to put wins on the board this year. Our pass defense was so bad last year that even with a healthy Jimmy G we were not going to go far.

If their logic is that we can fix the secondary next year, they might have a hard time doing that after someone gets fired. And if the secondary isn't better, the team won't win enough games to avoid having to axe someone.

I understand, but we're talking about guys falling into Day 3, If they were the prospects we thought they were they'd have been off the board.

The secondary will get a huge boost due to our ridiculously improved pass rush, the ball is coming out fast which is much easier to deal with.

Well, to be fair, a lot of players got pushed down when they were projected higher by average Joes as well as pro analysts. That doesn't necessarily mean they were wrongly projected, its just the way this year's draft went down (deep in edge rush, oline, a team certain needs and how players fit in their schemes, etc) and it may have seemed this way more than in previous years. There were a lot of teams that had/have a lot of holes just like us...

I do believe that "the secondary will get a huge boost" as well. Also, I hope Woods is worth (maybe he is) his weight and can make DBs perform (with scheme) at another level like Shanny did with our RBs, Kittle and QBs (a couple being practice squad guys).
[ Edited by LVJay on Apr 28, 2019 at 6:14 PM ]
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 4Tea9Ears:
Be careful with threads like this. Don't get caught up in what could have been or not getting your crushes. I absolutely sure that if you were to ask yourself and any armchair GM in here for that matter, you pick guys that flop more often then succeed.
There is a lot more joy in trying to find the things to root for then trying to find the faults.
It's all a wish and a prayer, so don't let posters in here make you fret over things you can't control but instead come in here to enjoy being a Niner fan.

This is a good post, why tell it like it is on a burner account, nonetheless
EVERY pick was a left down ... I'm not that big of Bosa but ok sure he's a edge we really need ...Deebo is nice but I'd rather have AJ Brown ...Hurd a huge reach we had no business taken ...A punter ...I like tha TE pick ...This draft was a total sh*t IMO... Lynch & Shanny are totally delusional thinking our safeties are good ...It was alil upsetting seeing so many teams trade up & down for players and we just sat there as good players were taken ...
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
EVERY pick was a left down ... I'm not that big of Bosa but ok sure he's a edge we really need ...Deebo is nice but I'd rather have AJ Brown ...Hurd a huge reach we had no business taken ...A punter ...I like tha TE pick ...This draft was a total sh*t IMO... Lynch & Shanny are totally delusional thinking our safeties are good ...It was alil upsetting seeing so many teams trade up & down for players and we just sat there as good players were taken ...

Weird... cause as a Stanford fan, I though Kaden was the worst pick we had. Really hoping we can use Hurd as a TE sooner than later.

Originally posted by Waterbear:
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:

Weird... cause as a Stanford fan, I though Kaden was the worst pick we had. Really hoping we can use Hurd as a TE sooner than later.

So a late round TE is a worst pick then a high 4th round punter ???
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Trading down in the 4th to the Bengals then the very next pick being Chauncey Gardner Johnson

Same here. Big letdown for me and then completely killed me off with the punter pick. Lol.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 4Tea9Ears:

My man...
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

I will admit, that I have been coming off much more negatively since Saturday. I generally try hard to be a critical but level headed poster on here. But since the draft, that's been a little tougher for me, and I probably have come off as more reactionary than normal.

But let me try to explain a little of where I'm coming from with this.

I really think that if the 9ers don't put up a legit good season this year, someone is going to get fired. Would that person be Lynch? Maybe... maybe not. It's hard to know. But if players from last draft regress like we saw last year, and then this crop doesn't show promise, he's going to be in a tough spot.

I like Lynch and I want him to stay. He's brought back the decency that used to be a hallmark of the 49ers and felt totally gone under the Baalke regime. And I think a GM switch could hurt the team's progress. So I'm rooting for him to keep his job. But to do that, I really think he needs to show marked improvement in his drafting. And why I'm so frustrated is that I don't think he has. Not because I wish he picked my guys over his guys (although I do, obviously), but because I think he has some flawed tendencies in the draft.

Let me try to explain...

My biggest concern is that he often uses the middle of the draft on players who will never been every down starters. That's a luxury move you can get away with when you're really good, but it is really limiting when you're trying to rebuild. To me, you need to be using those middle round picks on players who can compete for spots at every down positions. But instead, he often uses middle round picks for niche role players and then later round picks for every down players. And the result is often niche players not working out or not doing enough if they do, and the later round guys simply not being good enough (which is not abnormal for later round players). Just think that should be reversed. Use your mid round picks to fill out the meat and potatoes positions and your late round picks on the niche guys.

For example... CJ Beathard was a 3rd round pick and (being honest here) was always intended as a back up QB. Street was a 4th round pick and not going to play at all last year. Hurd, a 3rd rounder, is a situational gadget player. And a punter is a punter... He doesn't always do this, and I'm ok with him being wrong on middle round players when he's drafting guys who COULD be every down starters. Was Witherspoon the best CB he could have taken? Probably not, but he took the guy he liked and that player has had an impact on the team. I'm fine with that. Warner obviously turned out great, but even if he had just been kinda good I still would have supported the pick. I don't know how much I like Moore, but again, I'm not mad at that pick.

When I look at this draft I see two legitimately potential every down starters, Bosa and Deebo. Even if Hurd and the punter end up being great, they still won't do as much for the team as hitting on a DB or OL would have. And the late round guys are fine, but I don't think you can expect much of 6th round picks.

I just think the value of mid round picks and the likelihood of finding a starter there is waaaaay more than late round picks. I feel like they are spending their money on candy bars when they need to be putting food on the table. We're still an underdog team trying to show the league we're better than people think. In my view, we're drafting like a team that's already made it, or a team that feels fine being mediocre another year. And I don't support that.

Phoenix, you may be right. We may not need a secondary to make the playoffs this year. Or maybe the same guys will be way better this year.. Either way I appreciate you being patient with my current negativity. And for reading this long rant, if you made it this far
When we didnt take Greedy Williams or Nasir Adderley or even Aj Brown with our 2nd pick. If they really wanted Deebo they could have traded back into the 2nd for him our 3rd and one of our 6ths. Our front office doesnt understand value right now I do like Hurd but they could have got him in the 4th. The punter would have been there in the 5th and if not it's not the end of the world.
Round: player

1: Bosa
2: Greedy
2: Deebo/Aj (trade up situation)
4: Hurd
5: Punter Mitch
Share 49ersWebzone