There are 232 users in the forums

What do you believe to be the saddest/most negatively impactful moment of the 49ers draft.

To you gurus, is the safety class next year stacked?
Watching the Rams and Seahawks making trades to move down and acquire a ton of picks, while we don't make trades to move down and instead take guys higher than they probably needed to, such as Hurd and the punter.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
After Bosa and Deebo, we bring in 15 UDFAs
This thread
Originally posted by OneMoreRing:
This thread

This thread. Threads like this. Sentiment like this.
Originally posted by midrdan:
Originally posted by JaggedJ:
No secret I would have taken Adderley if he were available, but don't think our FO would have.

If they thought he was better than Colbert at the single high position they would have taken him. I'm done with the negative posters here ... support the team. The reality is there's one Earl Thomas every decade. If S is out biggest weakness after this season we will address it. Let's see the young guys we've drafted actually play for a couple of years before all the sky is falling nonsense.

If you're coming at me from the angle of always being negative then you've got the wrong person and might want to pick your targets a little better. I wanted Adderley, I doubt our FO would have taken him - what's your problem with me saying that? Based on how Lynch/KS talked after the draft it's pretty clear DB wasn't the priority this draft.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MrOrange:

According to Shanny | Lynch logic, yes...

One does not just come in here and take his or his job yada yada yada, blah blah blah, sha na na, da da da
Originally posted by LVJay:

One does not just come in here and take his or his job yada yada yada, blah blah blah, sha na na, da da da

And how did that workout for our edge situation?

This is chess not checkers, most people here can only see right in front of their face.

There's also opportunity cost, I mean say we got Landry last year and he looked ok. Do we pass on Bosa? No, but I doubt we get Dee Ford & Bosa.

Take just a guy at Safety, do we pass on Delpit? Probably not, but maybe the next tier of Safeties.
Originally posted by Lobo49er:
This thread

Should rename thread to 'sad armchair GM moments in draft history'
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:

This is chess not checkers, most people here can only see right in front of their face.

There's also opportunity cost, I mean say we got Landry last year and he looked ok. Do we pass on Bosa? No, but I doubt we get Dee Ford & Bosa.

Take just a guy at Safety, do we pass on Delpit? Probably not, but maybe the next tier of Safeties.

I'm all for playing the long game in life, but you gotta know when to have a sense of urgency.

This year three for these guys (shanny and lynch). They need to put wins on the board this year. Our pass defense was so bad last year that even with a healthy Jimmy G we were not going to go far.

If their logic is that we can fix the secondary next year, they might have a hard time doing that after someone gets fired. And if the secondary isn't better, the team won't win enough games to avoid having to axe someone.

Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:

I'm all for playing the long game in life, but you gotta know when to have a sense of urgency.

This year three for these guys (shanny and lynch). They need to put wins on the board this year. Our pass defense was so bad last year that even with a healthy Jimmy G we were not going to go far.

If their logic is that we can fix the secondary next year, they might have a hard time doing that after someone gets fired. And if the secondary isn't better, the team won't win enough games to avoid having to axe someone.

I understand, but we're talking about guys falling into Day 3, If they were the prospects we thought they were they'd have been off the board.

The secondary will get a huge boost due to our ridiculously improved pass rush, the ball is coming out fast which is much easier to deal with.
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Originally posted by Lobo49er:
This thread

Should rename thread to 'sad armchair GM moments in draft history'

Just missing out on Thornhill and Adderely.

Taking a punter in the EARLY 4th rd
Originally posted by midrdan:
No secret I would have taken Adderley if he were available, but don't think our FO would have.

If they thought he was better than Colbert at the single high position they would have taken him. I'm done with the negative posters here ... support the team. The reality is there's one Earl Thomas every decade. If S is out biggest weakness after this season we will address it. Let's see the young guys we've drafted actually play for a couple of years before all the sky is falling nonsense.

If you're coming at me from the angle of always being negative then you've got the wrong person and might want to pick your targets a little better. I wanted Adderley, I doubt our FO would have taken him - what's your problem with me saying that? Based on how Lynch/KS talked after the draft it's pretty clear DB wasn't the priority this draft.

I'll agree w/ the statement that the way they spoke, it indicated that they didn't think any of the DBs could be better than the folks who got toasted last year. weird. I recall something similar being said about the d-line last year.
I'd be all up w/ the sentiment if that statement was true and they didn't have to invest so much in that group this year and the team would have not drafted ST or paid Malcolm Smith, the Juice or the worst of all Jerick McKinnon. That just shows to me that they don't know how to evaluate talent and/or value it.
And what is up w/ ward. How does he keep staying on the team while getting paid ridiculous money and not performing? Same can be said about AA. (no AA's performance last year doesn't warrant such a payoff)
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:

Yes, the key is a sense of urgency.

Independent of the fans continuously waiting for this team to show up since the Yorks took over, except for a short stint w/ Scot McCloughan's team, the real concern should be that
1. if you suggest that the team has to wait another year to fix its DB situation, which could have been quite a lot better off this year by taking Earl Thomas and making a few correct picks in the draft, then you'll have to wait another couple years before you see the fruits of that effort. By that time, this FO is going to be removed (as they've been given enough time to prove themselves) and another FO is going to take over suggesting that the team is bare and needs to be re-filled. How many times can you keep doing that? You can't expect to improve only one position per year. You'll never end up creating an entire team. And before you see the entire team being correctly compositioned, the proven folks you've gotten before will have left you.
2. The team's ability to value and evaluate talent has been flawed, as can be seen by the contracts given to J Mckinnon, Malcolm Smith, the Juice, etc or the drafting of S Thomas, R Foster, and everyone after the 2nd round, except for George Kittle and Matt Breida.
[ Edited by deepniner on Apr 28, 2019 at 7:33 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone