LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 227 users in the forums

T.J. Hockenson, TE, Iowa

Originally posted by Heroism:

Doubtful he comes out. If he stays he is TE #1 for them next year while reveiving NFL level coaching pretty much.
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
So Iowa is becoming TE-U

Since Ferentz became HC in the late 90s, only one TE1 has failed to make it onto an NFL roster.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Since Ferentz became HC in the late 90s, only one TE1 has failed to make it onto an NFL roster.

Wow, that's crazy.

Wow, that's crazy.

Totally not an exaggeration to say that they get NFL level coaching. For some of these guys, they might get a downgrade in coaching if they wind up on a team with a subpar staff.

Also their S&C coach is absolutely one of the very best in the entire nation.
This guy is my biggest draft crush so far. How awesome would it be to have two elite run blocking TEs who can move and catch. Wouldn't mind taking him in the second round.
Originally posted by Waterbear:
This guy is my biggest draft crush so far. How awesome would it be to have two elite run blocking TEs who can move and catch. Wouldn't mind taking him in the second round.

Its expected he stays in school. With Fant leaving, he becomes the top TE there and would be in great position to push his draft stock way up.

Its expected he stays in school. With Fant leaving, he becomes the top TE there and would be in great position to push his draft stock way up.

Don't bring logic into this. Let me believe!!
Don't bring logic into this. Let me believe!!

TJ Hockenson is already a top 50 pick without much more to prove. He gets more snaps than Fant. He has more receptions than Fant. He has more yards than Fant. He has more ypc than Fant. The NFL will be looking for the next George Kittle.

While its certainly possible that he returns to college, it's far from a foregone conclusion, and not necessarily the smart move either.

Wow
Originally posted by tohara3:

Wow

Originally posted by adrianlesnar:
TJ Hockenson is already a top 50 pick without much more to prove. He gets more snaps than Fant. He has more receptions than Fant. He has more yards than Fant. He has more ypc than Fant. The NFL will be looking for the next George Kittle.

While its certainly possible that he returns to college, it's far from a foregone conclusion, and not necessarily the smart move either.

Not sure I agree there. I think his range is anywhere from the mid 2nd to the late 3rd. Right now he is splitting snaps with Fant. Next year he would be taking most of those snaps. He could potentially be the #1 TE in the whole draft class if he progresses as a receiver.
Not sure I agree there. I think his range is anywhere from the mid 2nd to the late 3rd. Right now he is splitting snaps with Fant. Next year he would be taking most of those snaps. He could potentially be the #1 TE in the whole draft class if he progresses as a receiver.

You're definitely not off base, but I'm not sure what else he can prove, even with getting 100% of the snaps. They have this athletic phenom who has been the unanimous #1 TE amongst draft pundits since the preseason, and yet Hockenson has out snapped and out produced him.
Man, just thinking about the possibility of Kyle moving to more 22 personnel with Kittle and Hockenson makes me giddy. They would be the new bash brothers pancaking defenders together.

I'd rather have him in the 3d round than Fant in the 2nd. He's a more dominant blocker with receiver skills, size, and the speed to threaten the seem. With everyone going smaller at linebacker and defensive line these days, we might have an advantage with a power run game with Hock, Kittle, and Juice paving the way. Best part is they are all viable receiving threats as well. I'm down for a dynamic 2nd tight end if a great receiver isn't available
Still really want this guy. Hope he comes out this year so we have a chance. Screw drafting a #1 receiver if we had Kittle and this guy.
Share 49ersWebzone