LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 241 users in the forums

Dust Settled Report: Top and Bottom 3 Draft Actions

• TheNef77
  • Q46 Draft 3rd place
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by evil:
Landry would have to earn the LEO job in sub packages as it would not be handed to him, no more than Pettis having to earn his snaps at WR.

And we cannot discuss the decision to move up for Pettis as opposed to Landry without mentioning that their seemingly were medical concerns surrounding HL.

Exactly...same concept as Pettis. He's going to have to earn snaps from Goodwin, Taylor, Garcon, Bourne and Kittle, McKinnon and Juice in various packages. No different than Landry competing with two journeymen in Marsh and Attaochu. That only validates the OP's point.

The medical concerns were debunked by Peter Schrager on GMF but I don't know how accurate his sources are. He fell about 30 picks more than expected so perhaps there was a big enough medical concern for some teams.

He was still the second ER off the board as expected.

Bingo. Thanks NC.
  • TheNef77
  • Q46 Draft 3rd place
Originally posted by Lobo49er:
Nice post Nef. Well written.
Thanks, boss

Originally posted by gold49digger:
Man if someone from the future told us before the draft we would have a notre dame linemen and a nc state passrusher we would all be jumping for joy lol. That said I do like the McGlinchey pick even if my initial reaction was luke warm.

Yeah man, the whole TB half-s**ing it caught me off guard.
Originally posted by TheNef77:
Originally posted by 9erred:
I just LOVE it when people come on and assess what should have been done AFTER the draft was done. They way all the trades, players, value picks and crucify the GM.

I personally was baffled how a OT was not a top need, with TB in his contract year and Staley 33 years old?? Apparently the FO felt the same way and prioritized OT. I also read that the reason Dak Prescott fell of is not because of losing Ezekial, it was because his start LT was hurt, which afffected the running game and passing game.

I feel that Lynch and Shannahan have a plan, they have 6 year contracts that give them enough ?FU money to be brave. They are building the team around Jimmy G, sit back and watch.

So are you sitting back and watching, or actively suggesting action from others?

I am not arm chair critic of what I view the best HC and GM combo for long term winning in a long long time. Shannahan and Lynch have a plan, that evolves around a franchise qb, protecting him, and running an offense that will be in the top of the league for years to come. For a person to criticize or give "what if scenarios" is ludicrous. I am at peace with the draft, the off season, and the future of the 49ers. I will not second guess people like the OP did after the fact.
  • TheNef77
  • Q46 Draft 3rd place
I just LOVE it when people come on and assess what should have been done AFTER the draft was done. They way all the trades, players, value picks and crucify the GM.

I personally was baffled how a OT was not a top need, with TB in his contract year and Staley 33 years old?? Apparently the FO felt the same way and prioritized OT. I also read that the reason Dak Prescott fell of is not because of losing Ezekial, it was because his start LT was hurt, which afffected the running game and passing game.

I feel that Lynch and Shannahan have a plan, they have 6 year contracts that give them enough ?FU money to be brave. They are building the team around Jimmy G, sit back and watch.

So are you sitting back and watching, or actively suggesting action from others?

I am not arm chair critic of what I view the best HC and GM combo for long term winning in a long long time. Shannahan and Lynch have a plan, that evolves around a franchise qb, protecting him, and running an offense that will be in the top of the league for years to come. For a person to criticize or give "what if scenarios" is ludicrous. I am at peace with the draft, the off season, and the future of the 49ers. I will not second guess people like the OP did after the fact.

That makes no sense if you consider the guards that we have and that the only move that we made was to offer a 1 year contract to damaged goods in Cooper. Nice, we got better at Tackle and Center. NEWSFLASH Donald and Suh just teamed up and will force a 1 on 1 between your guard and one of them. Tell me how keeping 7 WRs on the roster is going to stop that on paper? There's a lot of hope that you "faithful" are forcing on others who don't share the same opinion on our guards.

That makes no sense if you consider the guards that we have and that the only move that we made was to offer a 1 year contract to damaged goods in Cooper. Nice, we got better at Tackle and Center. NEWSFLASH Donald and Suh just teamed up and will force a 1 on 1 between your guard and one of them. Tell me how keeping 7 WRs on the roster is going to stop that on paper? There's a lot of hope that you "faithful" are forcing on others who don't share the same opinion on our guards.
This last response gets to the real issue you've got with the FO and the draft. You, like many others seem to be stuck on the old "big guys beat up little guys," Baalke/Parcells theory of O-line play, and so are upset we didn't keep Brown, draft Hernandez or move heaven and earth to get Nelson, plus you're highly skeptical of Cooper and the newer, lighter version of Garnett.

News Flash: Shanny has developed an entire system based on lighter, quicker, mo-bile and hos-tile O-linemen. He seems to have had some success with his scheme.

So its not the "faithful" blindly rubber stamping some mindless FA moves and draft picks by the FO. We're all just trying--like you--to understand Shanny's vision for the offense.

But its that vision that's forcing you--and the rest of us--to reexamine the way we think of o-line play.

Time to get on board--Shanny and Lynch aren't waiting around. And as Trent Brown learned, they aren't kidding around either.

Donald and Suh are going to find themselves constantly wondering where the RB went--and which OLman is going to block them--and from which direction. Then throw in the play action passing game and screens and bootlegs. They better be in shape cause our playbook is now wide open.
[ Edited by oldninerdude on May 12, 2018 at 4:58 PM ]
Originally posted by oldninerdude:

This last response gets to the real issue you've got with the FO and the draft. You, like many others seem to be stuck on the old "big guys beat up little guys," Baalke/Parcells theory of O-line play, and so are upset we didn't keep Brown, draft Hernandez or move heaven and earth to get Nelson, plus you're highly skeptical of Cooper and the newer, lighter version of Garnett.

News Flash: Shanny has developed an entire system based on lighter, quicker, mo-bile and hos-tile O-linemen. He seems to have had some success with his scheme.

So its not the "faithful" blindly rubber stamping some mindless FA moves and draft picks by the FO. We're all just trying--like you--to understand Shanny's vision for the offense.

But its that vision that's forcing you--and the rest of us--to reexamine the way we think of o-line play.

Time to get on board--Shanny and Lynch aren't waiting around. And as Trent Brown learned, they aren't kidding around either.

Donald and Suh are going to find themselves constantly wondering where the RB went--and which OLman is going to block them--and from which direction. Then throw in the play action passing game and screens and bootlegs. They better be in shape cause our playbook is now wide open.

Nice post. Can't wait to see this offense when it gets to rolling

And you've extrapolated all of this from garnets disappointing rookie season and coopers bust of a career thus far? Makes total sense tho that Suh and Donald have only had dominating careers cus up until now they've only played offenses where it's easy to read where the blocks are coming from and the RBs are going.
[ Edited by adrianlesnar on May 13, 2018 at 10:49 AM ]
Originally posted by adrianlesnar:

And you've extrapolated all of this from garnets disappointing rookie season and coopers bust of a career thus far? Makes total sense tho that Suh and Donald have only had dominating careers cus up until now they've only played offenses where it's easy to read where the blocks are coming from and the RBs are going.
LOL. You wanna ignore the fact that Garnett lost 20 lbs but gained strength last year;

you wanna ignore the fact that Garnett won the Outland trophy his senior year at Stanford;

you wanna ignore that Garnett has had a full year to learn Shanny's playbook and is no longer a fresh faced rookie coming into a new place, a new locker room and a new system where he has to play every down against professional competition;

you wanna ignore that Cooper was having an excellent season last season at Dallas until he injured his knee;

you wanna ignore the fact that Cooper appears to fit Shanny's requirements for OG: smaller but quicker and more mobile and athletic;

AND you want to crown Donald and Suh as champeens before they've even played a single down together;

and just what is it about Suh's career that makes it so "dominating?" The number of personal fouls he's accumulated? The number of teams he's played for?

AND you want everyone to ignore Shanny's prior record as OC at Washington and Atlanta

so we can all join in the chorus of wailing and whining about the team's shift from the "3 yards and a cloud of dust" philosophy of the past--which required big, strong, slow Maulers on the Oline--to a philosophy involving the outside zone blocking scheme coupled with play-action passing and WCO principles--which requires smaller, faster, more athletic guys on the Oline.

I'm not "extrapolating" anything. I've just got some questions.

Do you suggest we go back to Jim Tomsula's plan--or non-plan--and bring back Devey, Pears, and Martin?

Shanny has a plan--a vision for what he wants his offense to look like and how he wants it to operate. It seems clear that his vision does not involve the "maulers" sought in the past.

It will be interesting to see how his vision plays out against other NFL teams--including the Lambs w/ Suh and Donald.

I'm gonna enjoy watching the rebuild as it unfolds. Sorry if you don't see it the same way, but please feel free to correct me where I've erred (you won't be the first to do so) and enlighten me with your own views--but spare me the sarcasm. I do not claim to have any inside information or particular expertise. I'm just a fan.
LOL. You wanna ignore the fact that Garnett lost 20 lbs but gained strength last year;

you wanna ignore the fact that Garnett won the Outland trophy his senior year at Stanford;

you wanna ignore that Garnett has had a full year to learn Shanny's playbook and is no longer a fresh faced rookie coming into a new place, a new locker room and a new system where he has to play every down against professional competition;

you wanna ignore that Cooper was having an excellent season last season at Dallas until he injured his knee;

you wanna ignore the fact that Cooper appears to fit Shanny's requirements for OG: smaller but quicker and more mobile and athletic;

AND you want to crown Donald and Suh as champeens before they've even played a single down together;

and just what is it about Suh's career that makes it so "dominating?" The number of personal fouls he's accumulated? The number of teams he's played for?

AND you want everyone to ignore Shanny's prior record as OC at Washington and Atlanta

so we can all join in the chorus of wailing and whining about the team's shift from the "3 yards and a cloud of dust" philosophy of the past--which required big, strong, slow Maulers on the Oline--to a philosophy involving the outside zone blocking scheme coupled with play-action passing and WCO principles--which requires smaller, faster, more athletic guys on the Oline.

Do you suggest we go back to Jim Tomsula's plan--or non-plan--and bring back Devey, Pears, and Martin?

Shanny has a plan--a vision for what he wants his offense to look like and how he wants it to operate. It seems clear that his vision does not involve the "maulers" sought in the past.

It will be interesting to see how his vision plays out against other NFL teams--including the Lambs w/ Suh and Donald.

I'm gonna enjoy watching the rebuild as it unfolds. Sorry if you don't see it the same way, but please feel free to correct me where I've erred (you won't be the first to do so) and enlighten me with your own views--but spare me the sarcasm. I do not claim to have any inside information or particular expertise. I'm just a fan.

You wanna ignore the fact that you are completely guessing about Garnet is going to perform?

Your posts are based in homerism and not logic.

I'm also not sure where you got the idea that I or others are wanting maulers at OG...we just want good players, and competition for the spot where our players, thus far, have shown to not be just that.
[ Edited by adrianlesnar on May 13, 2018 at 9:05 PM ]
  • dj43

In the Walsh offense, and the offense Mike Shanahan ran when he was here, the approach was generally to make the big uglies on the DL run around chasing ball carriers on the outside (18 bob, 19 bob) until they got tired and then attack them. Spreading the field horizontally was the Walsh battle plan. His OLs were light and mobile (Bubba Paris excepted) so they didn't have to battle guys like Donald every play.

Kyle will do the same thing, and he brought in players that will allow him to do that.

Great analysis Nef. Solid job

You wanna ignore the fact that you are completely guessing about Garnet is going to perform?

Your posts are based in homerism and not logic.

I'm also not sure where you got the idea that I or others are wanting maulers at OG...we just want good players, and competition for the spot where our players, thus far, have shown to not be just that.
No, a "complete" guess would be how a rookie is going to adapt to the NFL, so draft picks are analyzed and rated according to their strengths and weaknesses, physical measurements, and experience at the college level. But its still just a guess. No one has a crystal ball--except maybe Maddog.

My post about Garnett is based on facts I have learned from reading about him on the 'zone--he's lost 20+ pounds this past year; he's gained strength (he can bench 325 13 or 14 times now opposed to 6 or 7 times a year ago); he's spent a year of dedicated work with the niners' training staff; he's had a year to study and learn shanny's playbook; he was a pre-med student at Stanford (so he's no dummy); he won the Outland trophy as a Senior at Stanford (so he could play OG pretty well at one point).

Another fact: shanny wants smaller, lighter, more mobile and athletic O-linemen.

Another fact: Cooper, Garnett, and Tomlinson were all three FIRST-Round draft picks--so at some point at least one NFL GM had them rated highly.

So, tell me where the :"homerism" is in these facts. Or are you resorting to name-calling? That seems far beneath the high-quality and intelligence I have always previously noted in your posts.

My point is just that Shanny seems to have a specific vision of what he wants his offense to look like and how he wants it to operate--and that vision does not seem to include any "big uglies" who are not mobile and athletic enough to execute his scheme consistently--on every snap.

Trent Brown failed to do so despite his great physical talent and potential--and his departure has caused a lot of hand-wringing, anxiety, and second-guessing of the recent draft among some posters--who then sometimes lash out at anyone who may disagree or question them.

Meanwhile Shanny's vision remains the same.
[ Edited by oldninerdude on May 14, 2018 at 4:46 PM ]
Originally posted by dj43:
In the Walsh offense, and the offense Mike Shanahan ran when he was here, the approach was generally to make the big uglies on the DL run around chasing ball carriers on the outside (18 bob, 19 bob) until they got tired and then attack them. Spreading the field horizontally was the Walsh battle plan. His OLs were light and mobile (Bubba Paris excepted) so they didn't have to battle guys like Donald every play.

Kyle will do the same thing, and he brought in players that will allow him to do that.
What I thought and was trying to explain. You did it much better and more concisely.

Thank-you!
No, a "complete" guess would be how a rookie is going to adapt to the NFL, so draft picks are analyzed and rated according to their strengths and weaknesses, physical measurements, and experience at the college level. But its still just a guess. No one has a crystal ball--except maybe Maddog.

My post about Garnett is based on facts I have learned from reading about him on the 'zone--he's lost 20+ pounds this past year; he's gained strength (he can bench 325 13 or 14 times now opposed to 6 or 7 times a year ago); he's spent a year of dedicated work with the niners' training staff; he's had a year to study and learn shanny's playbook; he was a pre-med student at Stanford (so he's no dummy); he won the Outland trophy as a Senior at Stanford (so he could play OG pretty well at one point).

Another fact: shanny wants smaller, lighter, more mobile and athletic O-linemen.

Another fact: Cooper, Garnett, and Tomlinson were all three FIRST-Round draft picks--so at some point at least one NFL GM had them rated highly.

So, tell me where the :"homerism" is in these facts. Or are you resorting to name-calling? That seems far beneath the high-quality and intelligence I have always previously noted in your posts.

My point is just that Shanny seems to have a specific vision of what he wants his offense to look like and how he wants it to operate--and that vision does not seem to include any "big uglies" who are not mobile and athletic enough to execute his scheme consistently--on every snap.

Trent Brown failed to do so despite his great physical talent and potential--and his departure has caused a lot of hand-wringing, anxiety, and second-guessing of the recent draft among some posters--who then sometimes lash out at anyone who may disagree or question them.

Meanwhile Shanny's vision remains the same.

I dont consider the term a "homer" to be an insult, so apologies if it was in any way taken as such. I just dont see how people can get on guys for being critical, cant judge a draft until 3 years have passed, but will say that Garnett is all but guaranteed to be the answer, or that a player like marsh is going to match his career sack total in one year.
I dont consider the term a "homer" to be an insult, so apologies if it was in any way taken as such. I just dont see how people can get on guys for being critical, cant judge a draft until 3 years have passed, but will say that Garnett is all but guaranteed to be the answer, or that a player like marsh is going to match his career sack total in one year.

Guys who offer thoughtful, fact-based, constructive criticism of the Niners and their administration should be appreciated and welcomed. Guys who spout ignorant, personal biases ("I hate so-in-so; Screw him") without any factual support or reason--not so much.

The former seem fully capable of explaining and defending their views and opinions; the latter not so much.

I do not contend that Garnett is "guaranteed" to be the "answer"--I'm not even sure he will win a starting position. I'm just saying that, given Shanny's apparent preference for mobile, athletic OGs, and Garnett's remolding of himself, he shouldn't be overlooked or dismissed as a "bust" just yet.

As for Marsh, I was not considering him in the context of this thread, but I see why you bring up his name.

Does Shanny or Lynch, or Selah have some yet to be seen plan for the defense similar to Shanny's vision for he offense? Or are they mistaken to rely on Marsh and Attoachu to provide sufficient outside pass rush? Shouldn't they have drafted some help, Landry or Obo or someone? I do not pretend to know, but I believe you raise a valid concern.
Share 49ersWebzone