31" - arms

10 1/8" - hands

4.59 40-yard dash
36" vertical jump
124" broad jump
6.9 three cone

NDT Top 300

47. Genard Avery, LB, Memphis

With parallels to Haason Reddick, Genard Avery has the versatility as both an edge rusher and off-ball linebacker that should appeal to both 3-4 and 4-3 teams. He is the best player no one is talking about, and after putting up big-time numbers at the Combine, I could see the NFL catching up and realizing that his tape is just as good. Comparison: Haason Reddick

NDT Scouting report

Reddick was really lousy as a rookie so I hope Avery can be better.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Reddick was really lousy as a rookie so I hope Avery can be better.

I didn't think he was that good of a scheme fit in AZ's 3-4 D. He should be much better in the new regime's scheme that will resemble the Panthers D.
Wouldn't mind as a MIKE in the 3rd rd
Good player.

Dude is big as hell at 6'1', 255lbs for off ball. I wonder if they'd ask him to drop some bulk to increase his speed to get even faster.
[ Edited by Heroism on Apr 12, 2018 at 10:04 PM ]
Versatile too, can add pass rush and coverage. I noticed him watching Memphis but seems people who really study him get more impressed.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
Versatile too, can add pass rush and coverage. I noticed him watching Memphis but seems people who really study him get more impressed.

I personally like him as a SAM than inside
Originally posted by GEEK:
I didn't think he was that good of a scheme fit in AZ's 3-4 D. He should be much better in the new regime's scheme that will resemble the Panthers D.

I don't think scheme fit was his issue as much as the guy just not having a grasp of being an ILB. Poor instincts and reaction time led to him completely winding up out of the play altogether. There were complaints about him just not processing things well,running right into blockers, not grasping what he was being asked to do in the scheme. They took a college pass rusher and based on his athleticism opted to have him play the middle. Another example of why I'm wary about taking guys who played one position and asking them to do something vastly different that they may not be a good fit for.
Avery is a certified freak.

https://www.grenadastar.com/2014/04/10/avery-wins-state-powerlifting-title/

Grenada High School senior and Memphis football signee Genard Avery continues to rack up awards.
This time, however, the awards are in powerlifting. He captured 242-pound division state title at the Mississippi Coliseum in Jackson.
Avery won his weight class defeating Reggie Harris of NW Rankin to win title. He finished with a total weight of 1,535 pounds.
He set new state marks in three categories. Avery had a 580 in the deadlift and a 605 in the squat. He finished with a 360 in the bench press.

For high school, even at 242 pounds that is pretty nuts. Hell, 242 pounds in high school is nuts.
A major crush of mine. Start him at SLB. Groom him to play inside.

Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:

I personally like him as a SAM than inside

HD did both at Memphis.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
HD did both at Memphis.

High Definition?
Genard Avery vs UCLA.

EDGE DEFENDER
Genard Avery, Cleveland Browns – 90.3
Avery was a force against the run and as a pass-rusher in his regular season debut. From 29 pass-rushing attempts, he picked up a sack, a hit and a hurry, and finished the game with three total defensive stops. Not bad for a fifth-round rookie.

Thought he would have been a good fit at SAM in this defense.
Share 49ersWebzone