LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 263 users in the forums

Darius Leonard LB - SC State

Originally posted by Ezekiel38:
This dude strictly a Mike or can he play the Will too?

Anyone who can play MIKE can play WILL in our scheme, they're extremely similar.

MIKE needs to be a bit smarter (to call the plays) and sometimes gets more blocks from interior guys, so a little stronger.

WILL can draw Tackles in space so should be slightly quicker/more agile.

However they can stand so close together at times that the play dictates how they operate, so they practically need the same traits really.
History has smiled upon those who excel in Senior Bowl week K. Hunt and C. Kupp were two examples last year). Leonard was a force this year, and I can't see why that won't translate to the NFL. Big money on his future
Did anyone get Leonard's age?

and more tape?
An anonymous AFC area scout said South Carolina State LB Darius Leonard "has a chance to be a war daddy once he has an NFL training table and strength program behind him."

The scout mentioned that Leonard is a hard worker and fast learner. NFL.com 's Lance Zierlein comps Leonard to Tennessee Titans LB Wesley Woodyard and projects him as a Day 2 pick. "He lacks play strength and there are times you want to see more nasty in his field demeanor, but he has the traits and talent to become a good, three-down linebacker who can play 3-4 inside backer or 4-3 WILL," Zierlein wrote. The analyst predicts that Leonard will "light up the combine."
[ Edited by ChaunceyGardner on Feb 21, 2018 at 6:43 PM ]
Screw it....trade back to the 20s in the 1st and draft Evans and get an extra 2nd and 3rd, and use that extra 2nd on this guy.

This is huge Foster insurance and we have no linebacker talent now. Evans and Leonard would make a nice duo no matter what happens with Foster. If we can also land Fuller/Melvin and Ansah, our D would be a legit top 10 and I think we win the Super Bowl this year.
This dude sounds super intriguing if we don't sign a LB and we don't take one in the 1st.
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:
This dude sounds super intriguing if we don't sign a LB and we don't take one in the 1st.

I'd be down with Jackson in the 1st and this guy in the 2nd and get Ansah too, but if we like him my guess is we need to trade up as waiting and hoping for him to fall to 59 probably won't end well. Don't want to give up a 3rd to move up in the 2nd but would be ok with a 4th to do so.

I'd be down with Jackson in the 1st and this guy in the 2nd and get Ansah too, but if we like him my guess is we need to trade up as waiting and hoping for him to fall to 59 probably won't end well. Don't want to give up a 3rd to move up in the 2nd but would be ok with a 4th to do so.

Wonder if we're able to trade down and still get Jackson

If we trade down from 9 to 17 we can get the 49th pick in the 2nd

I really would love another 2nd.

That's what I have happening in my Zeke Mock. Traded down to 15 and got Jackson and picked up a 3rd (and a 3rd next year) and used that 3rd and a 6th and next year's 2nd to trade up for Evans from 59 to 32.

If we really like Jackson I wouldn't want to have to count on him lasting to 17 or even 15 but I'd be stoked if we still got him with a trade back.

Each day more and more I want Jackson, even over Roquan, especially if we can land this Leonard kid in the 2nd. My Dontae Johnson nightmares contribute highly to this desire for Jackson. If we sign a FA starting CB I will reassess.

I also have nightmares about getting gashed in the run game without Foster too, so dreams of Roquan/Evans pop into my head as well.
[ Edited by Ezekiel38 on Feb 22, 2018 at 12:55 AM ]

Interesting. No idea if it is practical though.

That's what I have happening in my Zeke Mock. Traded down to 15 and got Jackson and picked up a 3rd (and a 3rd next year) and used that 3rd and a 6th and next year's 2nd to trade up for Evans from 59 to 32.

If we really like Jackson I wouldn't want to have to count on him lasting to 17 or even 15 but I'd be stoked if we still got him with a trade back.

Each day more and more I want Jackson, even over Roquan, especially if we can land this Leonard kid in the 2nd. My Dontae Johnson nightmares contribute highly to this desire for Jackson. If we sign a FA starting CB I will reassess.

I also have nightmares about getting gashed in the run game without Foster too, so dreams of Roquan/Evans pop into my head as well.

Originally posted by English:

Interesting. No idea if it is practical though.

I feel in a deep CB FA class maybe grab one then take a CB in the 3rd or 4th to eventually take over and give us depth.
I feel in a deep CB FA class maybe grab one then take a CB in the 3rd or 4th to eventually take over and give us depth.

Yeah i'm starting to see this happening. I bet we end up with one of Butler, Johnson, Melvin or Colvin then we can grab a draft CB a tad later.
Originally posted by illinois9er:

Yeah i'm starting to see this happening. I bet we end up with one of Butler, Johnson, Melvin or Colvin then we can grab a draft CB a tad later.

I don't think Calvin occurs cause he seemed to find a home at the slot but yeah in the end, pretty much lol.
If we grab Johnson/Fuller/Melvin, then if we stay at 9/10 we prob should take Roquan or trade back and take Evans. I'd rather have Evans and Leonard than just Roquan though. A trade back with Buffalo allows an Evans and Leonard combo plus an extra 3rd.
[ Edited by Ezekiel38 on Feb 23, 2018 at 11:16 PM ]
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
An anonymous AFC area scout said South Carolina State LB Darius Leonard "has a chance to be a war daddy once he has an NFL training table and strength program behind him."

The scout mentioned that Leonard is a hard worker and fast learner. NFL.com 's Lance Zierlein comps Leonard to Tennessee Titans LB Wesley Woodyard and projects him as a Day 2 pick. "He lacks play strength and there are times you want to see more nasty in his field demeanor, but he has the traits and talent to become a good, three-down linebacker who can play 3-4 inside backer or 4-3 WILL," Zierlein wrote. The analyst predicts that Leonard will "light up the combine."

Very interesting, he was great in Senior bowl practices, I'm hoping the combine doesn't move him up too high.

Even if he plays Special Teams year 1, backing up Malcolm and then takes over year 2.
[ Edited by 49erBigMac on Feb 24, 2018 at 5:23 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone