49ers vs. Broncos Tickets Available! →

There are 694 users in the forums

Denzel Ward

Browse 49ers books and videos
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Orrrr we draft Roquan and we trade up in the second round and draft Alexander who's a better player and plenty fast.
No, and no. OL, edge rusher, WR are all bigger needs than CB. Alexander is good, but too early for us to be drafting CB's, though its a need.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 67,098
Originally posted by Heroism:
Originally posted by miked1978:
You guys put way too much emphasis on players who are within 2 inches of six feet tall.

2 inches!!!!

Except people are conveying the 49ers' tall CB bias, not their own.

You know, the team that's choosing these players.

Exactly. They won't put Denzel Ward outside and they won't draft him to play the slot either, well at least not in the top 10 or 1st round for that matter. Look at the track record on who they put outside, K'Waun Williams is clearly a better CB than Greg Maybin, but they chose to put Maybin 6'2" 200 to play outside over Williams, why is that?

Just looking at track records, Lynch and Saleh favor taller CB's outside.
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Orrrr we draft Roquan and we trade up in the second round and draft Alexander who's a better player and plenty fast.
No, and no. OL, edge rusher, WR are all bigger needs than CB. Alexander is good, but too early for us to be drafting CB's, though its a need.

Just going BPA. Defense is clearly stronger again this year minus edge rushers that's why we need to go hard after Ansah. While interior O line is deep in this draft so you can get a starter in the 3rd round(Wyatt Teller). And WR should be addressed in free agency and it's not like we struggled passing once Jimmy Gesus came in.
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Orrrr we draft Roquan and we trade up in the second round and draft Alexander who's a better player and plenty fast.

what's his first name?
Originally posted by NYniner85:

If they want to mix things up and play more man, then I understand the pick.

But if they want to continue doing what they're doing...
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Orrrr we draft Roquan and we trade up in the second round and draft Alexander who's a better player and plenty fast.

what's his first name?

Jaire
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Orrrr we draft Roquan and we trade up in the second round and draft Alexander who's a better player and plenty fast.
No, and no. OL, edge rusher, WR are all bigger needs than CB. Alexander is good, but too early for us to be drafting CB's, though its a need.

Just going BPA. Defense is clearly stronger again this year minus edge rushers that's why we need to go hard after Ansah. While interior O line is deep in this draft so you can get a starter in the 3rd round(Wyatt Teller). And WR should be addressed in free agency and it's not like we struggled passing once Jimmy Gesus came in.

Lol at WR more of a need than CB.
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Orrrr we draft Roquan and we trade up in the second round and draft Alexander who's a better player and plenty fast.
No, and no. OL, edge rusher, WR are all bigger needs than CB. Alexander is good, but too early for us to be drafting CB's, though its a need.

Just going BPA. Defense is clearly stronger again this year minus edge rushers that's why we need to go hard after Ansah. While interior O line is deep in this draft so you can get a starter in the 3rd round(Wyatt Teller). And WR should be addressed in free agency and it's not like we struggled passing once Jimmy Gesus came in.
"Jimmy Gesus"? . . . . .

I understand your thinking the O-line and Ansah, though I'd still address the edge before the CB spot. At WR I don't think we should address that position solely with a FA. In fact, IMHO, I think that's a set for failure at the position. Our WR corp is glaringly missing the big body, physical element. And for me there aren't many WR FA out there who I think would be decent fits in Shanny's scheme. The ones that come to mind are:

Josh Gordon
Terrelle Pryor
Jordan Matthews
Allen Robinson

Hopefully, we can pick up one of those guys. Like I said, I fully expect Jimmie Ward to be moved back to CB. IMHO we have a bigger need at WR than CB in concerns to our top picks.
[ Edited by 9ersLiferInChicago on Jan 18, 2018 at 4:42 PM ]
I'll preface by saying that Denzel Ward is not my first, or second, or even third choice for our first round pick, and I havnt watched as much of him as I should. That being said, I'd be surprised if most of his harshest critics have watched much of him either.

Ward is absolutely elite in terms of speed, explosion, and change of direction. I see no reason why he would not be a shut down #1 corner at the next level; he can play anything his coaches ask of him, including press bail and sitting in zone. We could also play him in man on an island and let the rest of the team play zone.

I understand that this scheme has its prototypes, and I'm not disputing that. I also think that players of certain talent levels can transcend prototype limitations. Seattle made it's name off of late round picks who were big and physical, but not necessarily movers. I think this is because the scheme allows less talented players to excel. But increasing the talent, I assume, would improve the scheme as well.

I'd argue that, as a whole, the coaches are prioritizing not so much height, but rather length. Denzel Ward by all accounts has some long freaking arms. As for his weight, he's the same weight as Josh Jackson while being 2-3" shorter. I dont understand the comments about him lacking physicality; he's a fiesty MF who does not shy away from contact. In fact, my main critique of him from the cutups I've seen is that he's too handsy in his man coverage, and will need to tone it down for the NFL.

Unless Ward comes in under 5'10, I have no problems with him being the guy, even tho he may not be my draft crush.
[ Edited by adrianlesnar on Jan 18, 2018 at 8:27 PM ]
Originally posted by adrianlesnar:
I'll preface by saying that Denzel Ward is not my first, or second, or even third choice for our first round pick, and I havnt watched as much of him as I should. That being said, I'd be surprised if most of his harshest critics have watched much of him either.

Ward is absolutely elite in terms of speed, explosion, and change of direction. I see no reason why he would not be a shut down #1 corner at the next level; he can play anything his coaches ask of him, including press bail and sitting in zone. We could also play him in man on an island and let the rest of the team play zone.

I understand that this scheme has its prototypes, and I'm not disputing that. I also think that players of certain talent levels can transcend prototype limitations. Seattle made it's name off of late round picks who were big and physical, but not necessarily movers. I think this is because the scheme allows less talented players to excel. But increasing the talent, I assume, would improve the scheme as well.

I'd argue that, as a whole, the coaches are prioritizing not so much height, but rather length. Denzel Ward by all accounts has some long freaking arms. As for his weight, he's the same weight as Josh Jackson while being 2-3" shorter. I dont understand the comments about him lacking physicality; he's a fiesty MF who does not shy away from contact. In fact, my main critique of him from the cutups I've seen is that he's too handsy in his man coverage, and will need to tone it down for the NFL.

Unless Ward comes in under 5'10, I have no problems with him being the guy, even tho he may not be my draft crush.

I agree. Ward wouldn't be a bad pick like some of you are making it out to be
Originally posted by NYniner85:

its reallly a shame that the first hit was a penalty. It was a nasty hit though, our current ward can hit, but wouldve broken a couple of bones and strain his hammy just to deliver the hit.
Originally posted by gold49digger:
its reallly a shame that the first hit was a penalty. It was a nasty hit though, our current ward can hit, but wouldve broken a couple of bones and strain his hammy just to deliver the hit.

I think our ward strained his labia watching this hit
Originally posted by adrianlesnar:
I'll preface by saying that Denzel Ward is not my first, or second, or even third choice for our first round pick, and I havnt watched as much of him as I should. That being said, I'd be surprised if most of his harshest critics have watched much of him either.

Ward is absolutely elite in terms of speed, explosion, and change of direction. I see no reason why he would not be a shut down #1 corner at the next level; he can play anything his coaches ask of him, including press bail and sitting in zone. We could also play him in man on an island and let the rest of the team play zone.

I understand that this scheme has its prototypes, and I'm not disputing that. I also think that players of certain talent levels can transcend prototype limitations. Seattle made it's name off of late round picks who were big and physical, but not necessarily movers. I think this is because the scheme allows less talented players to excel. But increasing the talent, I assume, would improve the scheme as well.

I'd argue that, as a whole, the coaches are prioritizing not so much height, but rather length. Denzel Ward by all accounts has some long freaking arms. As for his weight, he's the same weight as Josh Jackson while being 2-3" shorter. I dont understand the comments about him lacking physicality; he's a fiesty MF who does not shy away from contact. In fact, my main critique of him from the cutups I've seen is that he's too handsy in his man coverage, and will need to tone it down for the NFL.

Unless Ward comes in under 5'10, I have no problems with him being the guy, even tho he may not be my draft crush.

Good post. I'm barely getting into the tape, but I like what I see thus far. Ward's recovery speed is outstanding. Feet fire like pistons to close distance. I agree with the handsy observation.

I hope they're willing to look at a CB like Ward(or Mike Hughes )and consider taking the next step in the evolution of this scheme. Don't have to follow the damn generic SEA cover 3 to the tee. Hell, even ATL and JAX have put their own twist on the scheme by running more true man coverages. Also, to piggyback on your height comment, Gus Bradley in LA didn't play with a corner over 6'0".

And ultimately, athleticism is the most coveted attribute in this defense, and Ward is one hell of an athlete.
[ Edited by Heroism on Jan 18, 2018 at 9:13 PM ]
Originally posted by Heroism:
Good post. I'm barely getting into the tape, but I like what I see thus far. Ward's recovery speed is outstanding. Feet fire like pistons to close distance. I agree with the handsy observation.

I hope they're willing to look at a CB like Ward(or Mike Hughes )and consider taking the next step in the evolution of this scheme. Don't have to follow the damn generic SEA cover 3 to the tee. Hell, even ATL and JAX have put their own twist on the scheme by running more true man coverages. Also, to piggyback on your height comment, Gus Bradley in LA didn't play with a corner over 6'0".

And ultimately, athleticism is the most coveted attribute in this defense, and Ward is one hell of an athlete.

I also really like darius phillips
Open Menu Search Share 49ersWebzone