Rep the Red & Gold: Shop 49ers Gear →

There are 607 users in the forums

Do the Niners stand pat at pick #9/10 or trade out?

Browse 49ers books and videos

Do the Niners stand pat at pick #9/10 or trade out?

  • fan49
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 6,293
Originally posted by zonkers:
Hopefully, Nelson, Smith, or Ridley are available at 9/10. I suspect the Raiders will probably take Smith if he's there at 9.

Smith is too small I'm. Look at foster, and Foster is bigger
I remember last time we had the #10 pick and someone fell to us...he was pretty good sometimes.
I'm pretty sure that either Nelson or Roquan Smith would be available, so voted to stand pat.

A trade down is appealing if the team pays up big, but you don't trade down to hope your players are still there.

Even if a team put a decent offer on the table, I'd take Nelson if there, I'd be more inclined to listen if he was gone
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 23,429
Will depend on how active we are in Free Agency of course, but I would consider a trade down with Buffalo as they are in desperate need of a QB and have two 1st's and two 2nd's if a QB like Allen is there.

Maybe get their 22 overall (1st round), their 53 overall (2nd round) and a pick next year like another 2nd round pick or something like that. We would have 5 picks in the first 3 rounds and gain draft capital for next year too.
[ Edited by Kalen49ers on Jan 3, 2018 at 3:14 AM ]
Obviously depends who is there but...

Move down in round one and pick up a 1st next year....YEAH

Move down in round one and pick up a 3rd this year....meh
Originally posted by captain_planet:
I remember last time we had the #10 pick and someone fell to us...he was pretty good sometimes.

Lincecum.
The top 3-4 Qbs will likely be taken ahead of us (Browns, Giants, Broncos, and Jets all need). So anyone trading up to #9/10 likely will not give up a 1st next year to do so. So staying put and drafting BPA is my vote. I will leave it up to the team to decide who that person is. I believe a good defense and run game = wins, so if anything WR would not be my choice in 1st round, even though i realize we lack in that area.
depends
The 2018 draft and free agency go hand in hand. What your plans are with one dictates what you do with the other.
  • DaBum
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 2,166
There's no way to know what is the best course of action this early.
Im thinking it comes down to what holes we fill in Free Angency. At projected slot 9th/10th pending coin flip I would select BPA unless some team offers us a haul.
I say stand pat.

The way I see it we are in a vastly better position than last season. Our QB situation is totally solved: we have our franchise QB and stand poised to sign him to a long-term deal, with a decent young tough backup QB to boot. That was a major deal considering that figured to be a 3 year project - at best - solved by mid-season. I mean, just look at what Jimmy G. was able to accomplish with just a few weeks crash course of Shanny's scheme. Can you imagine how lethal this offense is gonna be with a full off-season? I think the first 4 picks should be OL, WR, CB (if we don't move Ward back to CB, if so we go edge rusher here and CB next), RB - in that order - and another OL and WR later in the draft. I fully expect us to push the Lambs for the division title, andI definately expect us to be in the PO next season. Jimmy G. filled a bunch of holes.

Shanny and Lynch have proven to me they know how to draft, that they have a plan and know how to execute it. (I wonder who Lynch is gonna fleece in this years draft.) I don't see the need to be that aggressive in the draft. But In Shanny & Lynch I Trust! If they get a bit aggressive I'm all in support.
  • dj43
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 38,360
Way too soon to tell, obviously. However, protecting the Franchise is the most important goal. Give JG OL protection or a weapon he can use. That will help to max out the value of the huge contract he will have signed before the start of the season. Draft a player that will be a day one starter and have an impact. Trading back only makes sense if there is a particular player on the board at our pick and another team REALLY wants that guy. Frankly, I don't see that happening...but it might.
Too early to tell BUT I would guess trade down with a team targeting a OT
Trade down if Smith and Nelson are both gone.
Open Menu Search Share 49ersWebzone