There are 137 users in the forums

The Marcus Davenport Hype Train Is Leaving the Station

I was thinking that with his small school status and need to further develop as a pass rusher, he wouldn't climb too high, I was even disagreeing with MadDog the other day but damn, the hype is real. In terms of a pure edge rusher, he has the prototypical size, length and explosiveness that you're looking for with a great first step. And by length.......I mean LENGTH....this cat has serious reach. If he blows up at the Senior Bowl(getting there from UTSA nonetheless) and the Combine, then a 1st round grade wouldn't surprise me. Still somewhat raw but the upside is pretty ridiculous on him.

You might have never heard of the guy I had to keep moving up. I mentioned UTSA edge rusher Marcus Davenport—a 6' 7" freak of a receiver-turned-pass rusher—a few weeks back. I didn't have him in my early November mock. I put him at the end of the first round in the initial list I put together this time around, and then multiple execs told me he's not getting out of the Top 15. I wound up putting him at 14, behind only Chubb among rushers, and Davenport clearly has a chance to rise higher.
https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/12/27/2018-nfl-mock-draft-notes-marcus-davenport-quenton-nelson-tremaine-edmunds-derwin-james?utm_campaign=sinow&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&xid=socialflow_twitter_si

1st round seems a lock, will be interesting how things shake out after combine. I like Landry ahead of him though.
So if Landry, Chubb and Nelson are all gone I take it we should get this guy?
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
So if Landry, Chubb and Nelson are all gone I take it we should get this guy?

Lets see how he handles the competition at the Senior Bowl. The upside is there no doubt, the reach, explosiveness, ability to drop back into coverage, he does it all well, even has some pass rush moves too but I want to see him go up against some of the top OL's and see how he holds up versus them. He's definitely one of the most intriguing Senior Bowl players.
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
1st round seems a lock, will be interesting how things shake out after combine. I like Landry ahead of him though.

He's nowhere near as polished as Landry but I think his upside is quite a bit higher.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

He's nowhere near as polished as Landry but I think his upside is quite a bit higher.

Would you take him if we drafted around 11?
I was late to the Davenport hype, but I knew this dude was a freak two minutes into his tape. Humans his size are not supposed to be as fluid and agile in space.

He reminds me a lot of Danielle Hunter. Crazy athletic ability, but hasn't completely discovered how to harness it yet. Davenport is probably a little more polished than Hunter was coming out. He's got a solid base to build upon. For someone so raw, he's got a decent set of diverse attacks featuring swipe+rips, bob+swat, and chop+rip. Aside from refining his overall technique, the most glaring thing I noticed was his pad level. He consistently comes in high and gets out-leveraged. He also had a lot of false steps in his get off that he can eliminate.
[ Edited by Heroism on Dec 27, 2017 at 10:09 PM ]

I had not seen this. Add stab move to his list of weapons. Really good timing and placement on the tackle. Landed right on the sweet spot on the upper inside #. He has a good approach to marrying his hands and length.
[ Edited by Heroism on Jan 20, 2019 at 3:39 PM ]

I just don't know if he has the explosion/speed of Landry. He looks pretty good against lower level competition.
He has the highest ceiling of any edge rusher in this draft. Needs to work on his change of direction ability, but if he can tap into his potential, he will make some one, hopefully us, very happy.
What was his highest level of competition..? Any soon to be drafted Tackles he abused..? I'll admit I'm clueless when it comes to this kid..

I just don't know if he has the explosion/speed of Landry. He looks pretty good against lower level competition.

Thats when you DO , LOVE the combine. Some people talk s**t but allows you to further make sure no stone is left un turned and where someones athleticism falls into place. Especially when youre trying to diagnose/compare position groups and what your system requires or specific measurables youre desiring.
[ Edited by SmokeCrabtrees on Dec 27, 2017 at 11:51 PM ]
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:
Thats when you DO , LOVE the combine. Some people talk s**t but allows you to further make sure no stone is left un turned and where someones athleticism falls into place. Especially when youre trying to diagnose/compare position groups and what your system requires or specific measurables youre desiring.

F*** the combine, the only thing it shows is who has worked the hardest in practicing the drills (which does reveal some things) however these guys are football players, their ability to move is dictated as much by what they see than how fast they can move.

Now for Davenport the Senior Bowl practices will tell you all you need to know, beat up on draftable lineman, 1st rounder, struggle, 3rd rounder
Share 49ersWebzone