There are 252 users in the forums

Sony Michel RB Georgia

• okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SteveYoung:
Trade with Buffalo for their 2 - 1sts.

Take Michel with one of them

Would seriously think about it if we get pick #10.
Sonny is going to blow up the combine. He is a blue chip RB. He solidified that with one of the most dynamic playoff runs in history and unlike alot of the other backs he is a legit pass blocker and a true 3 down RB. He shredded some of the best defenses in college. He is absolutely a top 15 pick.

Taking it to his thread.

I see what you're saying, and I think his value gets inflated due to what Kamara actually did in the league, but they're practically the same prospect and Alvin went in the 3rd round.

The question will be, is he a bell cow I can give the ball to 25 times a game? I know he can catch and run but does he run good enough routes to consider him a matchup nightmare?

I know he's better on 3rd down than pretty much everyone not named Barkley, but is he better on 1st & 2nd down than other guys? For me that drops his value to a 2nd rounder.
Trade with Buffalo for their 2 - 1sts.

Take Michel with one of them

Bills ain't doing that trade unless the Niners also throw in their 2nd. Bills could ask for more than that(ie a 4th), and then the trade is relatively fair.
[ Edited by Heroism on Jan 28, 2018 at 12:32 PM ]
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
Sonny is going to blow up the combine. He is a blue chip RB. He solidified that with one of the most dynamic playoff runs in history and unlike alot of the other backs he is a legit pass blocker and a true 3 down RB. He shredded some of the best defenses in college. He is absolutely a top 15 pick.

Taking it to his thread.

I see what you're saying, and I think his value gets inflated due to what Kamara actually did in the league, but they're practically the same prospect and Alvin went in the 3rd round.

The question will be, is he a bell cow I can give the ball to 25 times a game? I know he can catch and run but does he run good enough routes to consider him a matchup nightmare?

I know he's better on 3rd down than pretty much everyone not named Barkley, but is he better on 1st & 2nd down than other guys? For me that drops his value to a 2nd rounder.

We don't need a bell cow when we have Jimmy. What great QBs have a bell cow in the NFL? They aren't handing the ball off 25-30 times a game, so it doesn't matter if he can do that or not.
[ Edited by TheHYDE49er on Jan 28, 2018 at 12:38 PM ]
With all of the RB talent in this draft I think it would be crazy to take a back with our first round pick. There will easily be a top back in the 2nd and 3rd rounds to choose from. All you have to do is look back at last years draft and think of Kamara and Hunt.

I dont see Sony going in the top 15 and I would be really pissed if the Niners took him at 9 or 10.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
With all of the RB talent in this draft I think it would be crazy to take a back with our first round pick. There will easily be a top back in the 2nd and 3rd rounds to choose from. All you have to do is look back at last years draft and think of Kamara and Hunt.

I dont see Sony going in the top 15 and I would be really pissed if the Niners took him at 9 or 10.

Agreed. I haven't done my rb research . But just dive deeper than the most hyped prospects fellas and you'll fall in love with day 2 or even day 3 talent as well. They're there every single year. Just gotta find them and go against the grain at times.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

Lol there is zero chance we take him with our first
Would rather sign Dion Lewis who Jimmy is very familiar with.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheHYDE49er:
We don't need a bell cow when we have Jimmy. What great QBs have a bell cow in the NFL? They aren't handing the ball off 25-30 times a game, so it doesn't matter if he can do that or not.

Why does he have to be a "bell cow"? I don't even know what that means anymore.

Regardless, Michel is the type of guy who doesn't come off the field. He is either killing people at RB like Davonta Freeman...or he is lined up in the slot.

Yes, a team like the Niners -- who run the ideal offense for him -- definitely are in need of offensive playmakers like Sony Michel.
It's 2018. No need for a bellcow unless you want your franchise rb to have a short career and run his ass to the ground. Le'Veon for sure isn't gonna play much longer if he has a couple more years like 2017. Ridiculous amount of touches.

Look at the 2016 falcons . Freeman was the rb1, Coleman was the rb2 but they split carries. That's the dream scenario for us. Keeps everyone healthy and fresher.

Originally posted by okdkid:

Regardless, Michel is the type of guy who doesn't come off the field. He is either killing people at RB like Davonta Freeman...or he is lined up in the slot.

Yes, a team like the Niners -- who run the ideal offense for him -- definitely are in need of offensive playmakers like Sony Michel.

This.

Michel is the ideal RB for Shanahan. He would be a 1200/600 yard back for Shanny.

When he blows up the combine he will be a top 15 pick.
[ Edited by SteveYoung on Jan 28, 2018 at 4:01 PM ]
Originally posted by okdkid:

Agree with this.

I really wish we could find a way to land Michel but I just don't see any way we can unless we trade down and acquire an extra first rounder this year.
STRENGTHS Muscular, well-proportioned frame. Decisive runner who rarely takes unnecessary losses by trying to be the hero. Runs with discipline and looks for the optimal path. Able to gather and cut quickly as inside zone and gap runner. Has good burst after cuts. Flashes acceleration to climb past linebackers and onto safeties quickly. Six of his touchdown runs went for 16 yards or more this year. Stout lower body can rip through arm tackles and allows for plus balance through contact. Has good open field vision to extend runs with second level moves, but will drop his pads and meet force with force when it's time to finish. Understands the art of setting up lead blockers and pulling guards. Highly respected, vocal leader. Excellent in blitz pickup. Understands his blocking responsibilities and will square up and take on rushers. Two-year captain.

WEAKNESSES Has some tightness in his hips. Lack of agility precludes him from making late cuts to elude incoming tacklers. Low knee action in early stages of the run causes him to trip over blockers feet when trying to squeeze through tight running lanes. More angular runner than one who can make sharp cuts. Had some huge rushing lanes to work with thanks to scheme and improved blocking in 2017. Open field balance is inconsistent. Plays with aging bull mentality in short yardage and needs to improve his feel for finding creases. Will duck head and finish prematurely if he doesn't see an early opening to work with. Serviceable as pass catcher, but has had issues catching it cleanly.

DRAFT PROJECTION Rounds 2-3

NFL COMPARISON Knowshon Moreno

BOTTOM LINE Michel is a well-built, no-nonsense runner who is able to combine vision, burst, and physicality. While he can make open field cuts to find additional yardage, his running style is more angular in nature and he thrives when playing north-south. He's not the most creative runner and he lacks some finesse, but his size, pass protection and ability to create yardage with power could land him a more prominent role than some might expect after splitting carries at Georgia.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/profiles/sony-michel?id=2559842
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Oh man I forgot he was a team captain.

What's not to like?
Originally posted by GhostOfBaalke:
It's 2018. No need for a bellcow unless you want your franchise rb to have a short career and run his ass to the ground. Le'Veon for sure isn't gonna play much longer if he has a couple more years like 2017. Ridiculous amount of touches.

Look at the 2016 falcons . Freeman was the rb1, Coleman was the rb2 but they split carries. That's the dream scenario for us. Keeps everyone healthy and fresher.

You're right with what you're saying, but the question when it comes to RB value is not, WILL I give my back 25 carries a game, it's CAN I?

There are many reasons why you might need to, injury, game situation, weather, matchup and probably others

For me the special guys, and the guys you'd draft Round 1, all answer that question, I don't think Michel does.

For the record it's why I didn't rate McCaffrey anywhere near where he was drafted. I do understand the logic behind that which is why I also asked whether he was a matchup nightmare.

If you don't ask those questions you would reach for an RB in the 1st round every year, and they'd all be paid on a par with WR's.
[ Edited by 49erBigMac on Jan 28, 2018 at 5:06 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone