There are 183 users in the forums

We're done! Grade the new regime's first draft.

We're done! Grade the new regime's first draft.

Originally posted by Vito_Corleone:
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
Balancing the success of day 1 with the lack luster days 2 and 3 I gave it a B-

Yes, it seems like Lynch doesn't focus on getting great value with his picks. They fall in love with their guys and pick their BPA, even if he would be available later.

Beathard - drafted 3rd, probably would have been available late 4th
Taylor - drafted 5th, probably would have been available in 6th
Colbert - drafted 7th, probably would have been UDFA

Most important is good talent evaluation and getting the best guys, but if that guy would have been available later, then they aren't getting the best value. Better to trade back or pick a guy who wouldn't be available later and instead get your guy later.

When you get to the 7th round, you are getting a guy so you don't have to compete with all of the other teams looking to sign said player. There is no guarantee with UDFA. Taylor is debatable. I'm on record saying Beathard went too early, but I'm not going to go down a list of players being over drafted. We are talking territory where guys aren't likely to make rosters (5th-7th rounds).

This reminds me of the Tony Ugoh vs. Joe Staley talk.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
I'll tell ya what we just got a lot nastier on D and between FA and the draft we are much much faster on offense

This. What is there not to like? And we have an offensive mind that knows how to use the players. We will see what our defense looks like. I gave the draft an A. Already looking forward to next year where we can add a QB, more pass rush, and WR, assuming things work out in other spots :-).
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
First day was pretty great.

After that it really seemed like Baalke had retaken control of the draft...

We got two starters/impact players. Everyone else seems like average depth at best.

I think for us to move in a positive direction as a team we needed more more than that. We needed to get at least 3 serious starter candidates and a few players who can be impact players even if they aren't starting. I don't feel like we did that.

Balancing the success of day with the lack luster days 2 and 3 I gave it a B-

You don't think Williams, Kittle, Witherspoon, and eventually Taylor fit that description?

I don't. That's just my opinion... But that's what we're all doing on here, right? Sharing our opinions.

To me Williams looks like a less exciting Mike Davis. Taking Kamara instead of trading that pick, or taking Jamaal Williams instead of Joe Williams would have given us an impact depth RB.

Kittle looks almost every other blocking TE that can catch slightly better than you think. Is he any better than Garret Celek? He does not look like a guy teams have to worry about. I felt like Hodges, Leggett, and Sprinkle could all have given us a more dangerous red zone threat with their size and catching ability.

Witherspoon looks good in coverage but is supposed to be pretty soft as a tackler. Seems like a total Baalke pick... Desmond King looked, to me, like a more physical player who can still cover well, and had the potential to be our FS or nickle CB.

Taylor looks like he could maybe end up being a decent slot WR. But we just signed a few speedy WRs. What we need is a WR that's physical, and has the potential to take over the Z position. I feel like we could have landed Juju, Hansen, Reynolds, or even Ford and gotten that type of player.

So yeah, I know the "we didn't take any of the guys I liked" complaint gets a bit tired around here... But so does watching guys I liked slip through our fingers only to succeed on other teams, while we shuffle along with guys who never looked exciting. That's just my take. If you guys are hyped on this draft, I'm happy for you. I wish I felt that way.
Solid B+ would go to an A- if Thomas had a clear role but very happy with Foster and Witherspoon.

Beathard in the 3rd and Taylor as the only WR made me wonder if Baalke had eluded security. The addition of a second and third next year saved the draft.

I almost gave it an A+ since there were no ACL/Baalke specials picked at all!
B- 1st round including trades was magical. Witherspoon visited and that pick made sense. Day 3 we addressed depth on offense as expected. I really liked most of the trades but thought we reached on a few and ignored Leo and Sam. Time will tell. I gave it a B
They didnt draft Myles Garrett, Nate Peterman, JJ Watt or Tom Brady

F-

For real though this was a great draft obviously, cant really give it a grade because Im not that smart, but it seems with most players there is incredible upside and their negatives are things that can be coached up and fixed.
[ Edited by KowboyKiller on Apr 29, 2017 at 4:16 PM ]

We got two starters/impact players. Everyone else seems like average depth at best.

I think for us to move in a positive direction as a team we needed more more than that. We needed to get at least 3 serious starter candidates and a few players who can be impact players even if they aren't starting. I don't feel like we did that.

You don't think Williams, Kittle, Witherspoon, and eventually Taylor fit that description?

I don't. That's just my opinion... But that's what we're all doing on here, right? Sharing our opinions.

To me Williams looks like a less exciting Mike Davis. Taking Kamara instead of trading that pick, or taking Jamaal Williams instead of Joe Williams would have given us an impact depth RB.

Kittle looks almost every other blocking TE that can catch slightly better than you think. Is he any better than Garret Celek? He does not look like a guy teams have to worry about. I felt like Hodges, Leggett, and Sprinkle could all have given us a more dangerous red zone threat with their size and catching ability.

Witherspoon looks good in coverage but is supposed to be pretty soft as a tackler. Seems like a total Baalke pick... Desmond King looked, to me, like a more physical player who can still cover well, and had the potential to be our FS or nickle CB.

Taylor looks like he could maybe end up being a decent slot WR. But we just signed a few speedy WRs. What we need is a WR that's physical, and has the potential to take over the Z position. I feel like we could have landed Juju, Hansen, Reynolds, or even Ford and gotten that type of player.

So yeah, I know the "we didn't take any of the guys I liked" complaint gets a bit tired around here... But so does watching guys I liked slip through our fingers only to succeed on other teams, while we shuffle along with guys who never looked exciting. That's just my take. If you guys are hyped on this draft, I'm happy for you. I wish I felt that way.

I wanted leggett too. The picks we nailed, Solomon and foster, Baalke might have picked in the same position, minus the extra picks. I've seen a few posters agree that we didn't ride that momentum on down the draft, Letting a few juicy prospects slip by.

I do, however, feel that all our picks will receive quality coaching and leadership so let's hope that the less impressive picks earn their way onto the team

I do like that they're adding some good speed to the ranks, in both FA and the draft.
[ Edited by Big_Daddy on Apr 29, 2017 at 4:30 PM ]

I love Kyle and have faith in them but I gotta agree on the part that it felt like Baalke took over.

We got our usual DB, the usual value 4th round pick that had some red flags but was actually a 1st to 2nd round prospect . The QB that most teams didn't have in that area on their board. Usual tight end pick, and usual late wide receiver pick.

Huge difference is that Kyle can evaluate QBs a million times better than Baalke ever could and evaluates players in general in a totally different way.
Originally posted by Big_Daddy:

I wanted leggett too. The picks we nailed, Solomon and foster, Baalke might have picked in the same position, minus the extra picks. I've seen a few posters agree that we didn't ride that momentum on down the draft, Letting a few juicy prospects slip by.

I do, however, feel that all our picks will receive quality coaching and leadership so let's hope that the less impressive picks earn their way onto the team

What's the point in saying Baalke might have taken them too? Belichick, McVay, Walsh, and Ron Wolfe might have too.

Lynch nailed this draft, hard. Joe Williams and Bibbs are better than Mike Davis and Dujuan Harris. We didn't take one of the big name edge rushers, but maybe they like what they've seen from Lynch and Carradine. Also maybe Armstead has been impressing them at LEO. Brooks is also pretty good.

Solid A, without a doubt.
  • fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan
I think an "A" because they addressed needs first on the Defensive side of the ball--love the Reuben "Froster" pick. Drafting defense is a smart play that will likely keep us in some games this coming year that under normal circumstances we would not be in. Do not care for the TE pick. Would have rather had Jeremy Sprinkle, but hey if the QB is familiar with him, who am I to argue?

I have to say this....... GRANT COHN IS A DUECH BAG! DESERVES TO BE SLAPPED! His article on the draft is a joke!
I gave it a solid B. Great first round. 2 top 10 talents and a few extra picks. Then I think Lynch got a little too trade happy. I didnt like the trade with the Saints. I didnt like the trade with the Broncos. Or the Colts. Joe Williams looks talented, but hard to get excited about an identity stealing guy who already retired once. With our history of players retiring, I dont want none of that. I get why we got the QB, but did we need to trade up for that?? Were people beating down the door for that kid? Most people had 6th round or later projections on him. I like his play-action game, but is the potential there? Higher rated QB's were there, you cant develop those guys ?

I wanted more of a dynamic TE, but Kittle has the measurables, is a beast blocking, I like what we did there. Overall I just feel we didnt address WR and T appropriately. If Staley goes down were screwed. Still no WR to respect on this team. The somewhat explosive TE we got, McDonald, we are actively shopping. I wouldnt mind cause I think hes soft and his hands arent good when it matters, but with our draft I dont feel we can afford to let him go. Tartt cant seem to get over the hump, the Eric Reid hump, and we know what we have in Reid. Were trying out Ward at S, but why not grab a S in this super deep and talented Safety class? Still a good draft. I hope Beathard surprises.
[ Edited by FromDaBay2La on Apr 29, 2017 at 4:35 PM ]
A Fuc*ing plus... You can tell Lynch and Kyle really really really did their homework. They had it all mapped out from start to finish....

Way to go fellas..

Foster is a true head cracker... perfect player to have when week one your up against cry baby Cam, Mccaffery and their retooled weapons they got in yhe draft...

Were going to bust ass....
Originally posted by btthepunk:
Originally posted by Big_Daddy:

What's the point in saying Baalke might have taken them too? Belichick, McVay, Walsh, and Ron Wolfe might have too.

Lynch nailed this draft, hard. Joe Williams and Bibbs are better than Mike Davis and Dujuan Harris. We didn't take one of the big name edge rushers, but maybe they like what they've seen from Lynch and Carradine. Also maybe Armstead has been impressing them at LEO. Brooks is also pretty good.

Solid A, without a doubt.

The comparison is only to say, the picks they crushed seemed obvious picks at the time. The more debatable picks seemed balkian.

Do I like this draft? For sure. And I think they'll get better over the years. But I don't think they "crushed" it. Solid B for me, including the extra picks.
Grade is incomplete. Let's see how they play first.
Share 49ersWebzone