LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 218 users in the forums

We're done! Grade the new regime's first draft.

We're done! Grade the new regime's first draft.

Considering their options I would have been most disappointed to be a Browns fan. Well, yeah, apart from the obvious. I give them Garrett. No doubts there. But Kizer? Peppers we will have to see. Not convinced. Underlying the whole thing, though, is the confidence most people have that whoever Jax and the Browns draft, they are still going nowhere.
  • TheNef77
  • Q46 Draft 3rd place
B

Really wished we picked up an extra starting candidate at the end of round 3. Beathard would've been there for the comp pick in the 4th. Dorian Johnson, Reynolds, Lawson, Asiata, Siragusa sitting right there to upgrade this roster now but we instead use it on a project. Could've had both but we panicked. Still made the move of the draft making the Bears look foolish right out the gates.
It seems the those years I don't have time to live in the man cave to watch college football, I always think our drafts are better. The more informed I am the more critical I am.

Lol, I loved this years draft.

What i like the most is we broke a few our of draft habits that really bothered me in the past.

In the Nolan era we where HUGE on drafting players and moving them around. We drafted guards to be tackles, we drafted ends to be LBers. We drafted a DL to be a fullback... or was it the other way around.... I don't recall...but it drove me nuts. There is no point in history where that has been successful on the large scale and we spent an entire draft doing it.

Recently we dedicated ourselves to the all ACL team. We spent all kinds of picks on guys that we could not even judge until the next season. We also somewhat chased the workout warriors.

This year...what I really like is the production. Specifically on defense. You can draft an offensive player that was not utilized in college and do something with him. When it comes to defense... I don't think it happens often that you can draft a player that was so so and find a gem.

We got some productive college defensive players.

My favorite tho is Ahkello Witherspoon. Year over year he has improved and we picked up a guy that broke up nearly 20 plays with batted balls last year alone. This is EASILY my favorite pick in the draft. When you watch scouts.com videos that highlight him each game...its mouthwatering. This guy is amazing.

You could say...well....he had opportunity with pass heavy teams....but the guy only had a 30% completion rate against him. With a dozen of so of them being screens or motion screens. Those will be a high rate complete against almost anyone.

No college QB made their career targeting Ahkello. It reminded me of Carlos Rogers a little bit, he would gable and try to bait QBs to throw at him to generate opportunities to make a play. It really does seem Ahkello was doing that too. Its college ball, but that level of confidence is ridiculous

I am so stoked with this pick that it really pushes the entire draft to an A for me.
Originally posted by kronik:
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
Originally posted by kronik:
Originally posted by danarez49:
Some Guys in here are some serious cry babies... someone put a pacifier to shut them up... good job ks and john.. A+

Some guys in here are some serious ks & lynch ball lickers. someone should cut off their tongues... bad job ks and john.. C-

If you're giving this draft a C- I can only imagine what you gave Baalke's drafts lol

Alot of F's bro so I guess it's an improvement Only picks saving Lynch from an F grade from me is the Rueben Foster and Kittles pickup..

Originally posted by SofaKing:
Solid A

Great draft all around. Only thing holding me back from A+ is not getting a speed rusher until RD 6 with Pita T. Maybe could have used a outside WR at some point too, but I understand we couldn't address all our needs in one draft.

Job well done.

Completely agree. An 'A' draft. Also, setting themselves up for next year's draft with some trades to net a 2nd and 3rd was some good work.
Greg Gabriel on the 49ers draft:

How can you not like what the 49ers did? With a first-year GM and head coach, they played the draft game very well with a combination of moves that got them extra picks and quality players.

Solomon Thomas gives them the edge pass rusher they needed in their new defensive scheme. Later in the first round they traded back up to get the best inside linebacker in the draft in Reuben Foster.

Ahkello Witherspoon is the tall, rangy corner that every NFL club covets. He is still raw and learning but has tremendous upside.

C.J. Beathard gets mixed reviews, but there are a number of NFL decision makers who feel he hasn't begun to hit his potential. He did not have much of a supporting cast while at Iowa, and his best football may be in front of him.

Running back Joe Williams had some issues while at Utah, but you would be hard-pressed to find a running back with better tape the last half of the 2016 college season. He is a second-round talent that they got in the fourth because of those issues.

Iowa's George Kittle is the ideal "move" tight end. He is very athletic with excellent hands and good route running. Though he is on the small side for a tight end, Kittle is also a good blocker.

Trent Taylor and D.J. Jones add depth to a thin roster.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2017/05/02/greg-gabriel-which-nfc-club-had-the-best-2017-nfl-draft-in-each-division/afhzrtm/
Thomas - He was the comfortable, safe pick. I don't think he'll add the pass rush that we want, but he upgrades the DL and helps greatly against the run. High floor guy that you can build around. Thomas and Buckner make up a great foundation for the DL. Grade: B.

Foster - High risk, high reward. He's a Pro Bowl caliber LB that should fill a huge void. On the other hand, I think we all know his shoulder is going to limit him early on. If his shoulder rebounds we'll, he's a complete steal. Just taper your expectations early on. Love the pick though.
Grade: A-

Witherspoon - Good size and has some ball skills. He's a little raw and will take some time to develop. Brock made this pick necessary. I think he'll start opposite Robinson next year.
Grade: C+

Beathard - Kyle is swinging for the fences here. With Tedric Thompson (Seahawks, for added sting) and Carl Lawson on the board, this was a huge gamble. I'll trust the process and that's because I really believe in Kyle, but this was a surprise for sure. The odds are certainly against him and with Cousins expected to sign next year, was it worth the gamble? Grade: D-

Williams - He was undervalued due to well publicized issues. From a football perspective, he's extremely talented and is a perfect fit for Turner's running attack. Everything lined up for this pick and I think he'll be our featured back by the end of the year. Grade: A+

Kittle - Another excellent fit. TE has been a weak spot on this team since we went with Vance. I expect Kittle to beat him out this year and I wouldn't be surprised to see Vance traded before the deadline. As for Kittle, he's an effective blocker with reliable hands. If Iowa featured him more there's no way he would've been sitting there when we drafted. Future stater.
Grade: A

Taylor - Kyle loves quickness in his RBs and WRs and he's not being shy adding these guys. I think this signals the end of Burbridge, Smelter and Ellington. Taylor is a weapon and could be used like Gabriel was in Atlanta. At this point in the draft, I'm fine with role players. Similar to what Bellicek employs, Taylor will also live within 20 yards of the LOS to flash open quickly for his QB.

Jones - A young NT, with some quickness. The desire to stop the run is evident and Jones is another peice. He won't be asked to play right away, but could be a nice rotational player early on.

Pita T - A situational pass rusher and competition at LEO. He's raw, but I don't see Lynch or Harold have a future with us. Disappointed that didn't get a pass rusher sooner, such as Lawson over Beathard. Can't fix it all this offseason, but we desperately need players that can get to the QB and Pita will get his opportunities. That said, don't sleep on UDFA Gilbert. He's a freak that might need a redshirt year to bulk up.
Grade: B-

Colbert - Not sure were he'll play, but he's active in run support and has some good range. I expect he'll compete to backup Ward and Tartt.
Grade: C

Overall, I give this draft is a B+. There were some very calculated risks and I'm very pleased with it. I think ge defense was instantly better the moment Chip was terminated. Lynch added some nice pieces and I think we'll looking at significantly better team already.

If we hit we hit on Foster and Beathard, this draft will be one we talk about for a long time.
[ Edited by strickac on May 6, 2017 at 1:11 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone