Rep the Red & Gold: Shop 49ers Gear →

There are 709 users in the forums

Post-combine: BPA @ #2,

Browse 49ers books and videos

Post-combine: BPA @ #2,

Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Not sure how Solomon is a situational pass rusher and that's it? Top of the country in stuffing the run and last I saw we weren't very good at that lol. 6th in the country in rushing the passer on top of it. There's nothing situational about his game, he's a 4 down player that can be moved all around that DL including LEO if need be.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/draft-pff-scouting-report-solomon-thomas-de-stanford/

PFF: Bottom Line "Thomas was dominant this season as shown by his No. 1 run-defense grade (92.0) and No. 6 pass-rushing grade (86.9) among FBS interior defensive linemen. Thomas has been highly productive the last two seasons but has followed a natural skill development progression as he was first a solid run defender and then made an ever-increasing contribution as a pass-rusher. Thomas's pass-rushing productivity rating of 8.7 ranked No. 5 among Power-5 defensive tackles. Thomas has experience playing in the interior of the defensive line but only weighs 270 pounds so he isn't exactly the ideal size to play inside in the NFL but his experience inside and his proven ability to hold up makes him an ideal candidate to play base defensive end and then a player who can shift inside to defensive tackle in sub-package situations. If nickel is the new base, then Thomas' ability to stop the run plus rush the passer from inside or outside will make him a highly coveted player in the draft."

I hear ya I want a pro-bowl player but I want it at an important position when we're drafting this high...if there was a sure fire pro-bowl guard at two would you draft him? No you wouldn't...as far as AA goes I'm a supporter but this is a new scheme, new FO, and going into yr three we have no great film on the kid and he's struggled, Maybe he puts it all together and we have three stud DEs which I'm fine with.

Cant say i disagree with you. I am basically happy with anyone except Fournette lol I just hope we hit a home run. Aldon was talent wise, but his off field issues claimed his potential. I would personally rate a safety higher then a guard.

"... anyone except Fournette." I really do not understand this viewpoint. If they think highly enough of Fournette to draft him at #2, you should be happy. They probably know something that you do not.
Originally posted by Lurker:
"... anyone except Fournette." I really do not understand this viewpoint. If they think highly enough of Fournette to draft him at #2, you should be happy. They probably know something that you do not.

I just think it would be a waste given the current talent level of this team and the fact that Shanahan's running system makes 1400 yard backs out of middle round RB. (I know the other side is imagine what a talent like Fournette could do in that system - trust me I do)
Hyde is arguable our best talent on offense right now. Granted he is porcelain, but he is a great fit for Kyle's offense. I just think it would be a silly move and not building the team properly for the long haul - which is not a knock on the actual player.

Most have him going to Carolina at 8 which is a steal and a match made in heaven for both of them, but that is what I mean - Carolina is only 2 years from a SB appearance and already have a QB. A bit of secondary help and this kid has Carolina right back in the thick of it. I don't feel that same benefit knowing we have a s**t defense, no qb, and an already solid RB.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 65,216
I'd love Fournette, but not at #2. I have concerns about his catching abilities, he's a little uncoordinated on that front. If we're picking him #2, I want him good at everything in Shanny's system.
Originally posted by mayo49:
I'd love Fournette, but not at #2. I have concerns about his catching abilities, he's a little uncoordinated on that front. If we're picking him #2, I want him good at everything in Shanny's system.

Overtime at the jug machine, for resolution in that department
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 65,216
Originally posted by FrozeReactionZ:
Overtime at the jug machine, for resolution in that department

He fights the ball when tries to catch it. I don't know if the jugs can help with that.
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Also, I think AA deserves this year, similar to Bowman. I recall he was looking great in pre-season until he got hurt. We would be foolish not to see how they do this year. But - you can never have enough pass rushers so if this kid is the real deal I am in.

AA can't stop the run never has been able to...Thomas best in the country. You got a guy that can be the next justin smith you pick him an figure out everything else later
Originally posted by Lurker:
"... anyone except Fournette." I really do not understand this viewpoint. If they think highly enough of Fournette to draft him at #2, you should be happy. They probably know something that you do not.

I don't view him as a ZB RB...he'd still be good but if you want to get the most out of him put him a in a gap blocking power running offense
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by FrozeReactionZ:
Overtime at the jug machine, for resolution in that department

He fights the ball when tries to catch it. I don't know if the jugs can help with that.

Yeah he just isn't a natural pass catcher. Anything can be learned but if it doesnt come naturally it will never look natural and he will leave himself open to injury and turnovers.

Why try to forcea square peg into a round hole?
Originally posted by JBrack:
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by FrozeReactionZ:
Overtime at the jug machine, for resolution in that department

He fights the ball when tries to catch it. I don't know if the jugs can help with that.

Yeah he just isn't a natural pass catcher. Anything can be learned but if it doesnt come naturally it will never look natural and he will leave himself open to injury and turnovers.

Why try to forcea square peg into a round hole?
This has been my knock on him all along.. I like Cook, McCaffrey, Kamara, and Mixon all over him as fits in our offense.
Originally posted by mayo49:
I'd love Fournette, but not at #2. I have concerns about his catching abilities, he's a little uncoordinated on that front. If we're picking him #2, I want him good at everything in Shanny's system.

If the 49ers like him they will probably have to take him at #2. He is projected to be gone not many picks after #2. The 9ers can have him if they want him, unless the Browns or a trade partner like him so much they take him #1 (Milke Ditka anyone ... lol). I guess we'll find out. I just wish Hyde was more durable.
Originally posted by 49erInTheMidwest:
Originally posted by JBrack:
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by FrozeReactionZ:
Overtime at the jug machine, for resolution in that department

He fights the ball when tries to catch it. I don't know if the jugs can help with that.

Yeah he just isn't a natural pass catcher. Anything can be learned but if it doesnt come naturally it will never look natural and he will leave himself open to injury and turnovers.

Why try to forcea square peg into a round hole?
This has been my knock on him all along.. I like Cook, McCaffrey, Kamara, and Mixon all over him as fits in our offense.

I don't think he is on our radar at all personally.

He isn't even a 3rd down back unless its 3rd and short. You dont draft a guy #2 overall who cant do it all. Thats not good value.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
NO safety end of the day just isn't as important as QB,LT,pass rush, WR, CB...it's just not, you can swing it around to try and fit whatever but it's the truth.

Name for me the QB, LT, pass rusher in the mold of peppers, WR, or CB worth a #2 pick? Lattimore is the closest thing with hamstring issues. You mean to tell me that, if shanny and lynch think hooker is BPA, they should pass because hey, safeties don't get taken top 3, so let's draft someone lower on our board? Of course, before berry was taken at 5, ppl were saying hey don't draft a safety top 5.

I'm not saying hooker is or should be the pick, but to disqualify him simply because of his position is crazy.

David Carr, Joey Harrington, Mike Williams, Quentin Jammer. Hindsight is 20/20, but I bet those teams wish they broke convention and took ed reed top 5.

Charles Rodgers, Robert Gallery, Ronnie Brown, Reggie Bush, Calvin Johnson, Chris Long, Jason Smith, Ndamakong Suh, Von Miller, Robert Griffin III, Luke Joekel, Greg Robinson, Marcus Mariota, Carson Wentz.

That's every #2 pick since 2002 when ed reed was drafted. Which of those players means more to their franchise than ed reed? Only one we can argue MIGHT match by the end of his career is Von Miller, but the cat is still in the bag on that one, and 2011 was a historically good draft, particularly in the 1st round.

Also, here's something I found interesting...



2004 NFL Draft
1: San Diego Chargers: Eli Manning, QB
2: Oakland Raiders:Robert Gallery, OT
3: Arizona Cardinals: Larry Fitzgerald, WE
4: NY Giants: Phillip Rivers, QB
5: Washington Redskins: Sean Taylor, S

Manning, 2 time superbowl champ
Larry Fitzgerald, first ballot HOF
Phillip Rivers, FQB, top 5 at the time of his prime
Sean Taylor, likely to have been a perennial probowl/all pro player for a very long time.

Do you think the raiders and their fans wish they would have drafted Taylor? But hey, it is LAW that LT > FS, no matter how good the prospect.
Originally posted by JBrack:
Originally posted by 49erInTheMidwest:
Originally posted by JBrack:
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by FrozeReactionZ:
Overtime at the jug machine, for resolution in that department

He fights the ball when tries to catch it. I don't know if the jugs can help with that.

Yeah he just isn't a natural pass catcher. Anything can be learned but if it doesnt come naturally it will never look natural and he will leave himself open to injury and turnovers.

Why try to forcea square peg into a round hole?
This has been my knock on him all along.. I like Cook, McCaffrey, Kamara, and Mixon all over him as fits in our offense.

I don't think he is on our radar at all personally.

He isn't even a 3rd down back unless its 3rd and short. You dont draft a guy #2 overall who cant do it all. Thats not good value.
Originally posted by adrianlesnar:
Name for me the QB, LT, pass rusher in the mold of peppers, WR, or CB worth a #2 pick? Lattimore is the closest thing with hamstring issues. You mean to tell me that, if shanny and lynch think hooker is BPA, they should pass because hey, safeties don't get taken top 3, so let's draft someone lower on our board? Of course, before berry was taken at 5, ppl were saying hey don't draft a safety top 5.

I'm not saying hooker is or should be the pick, but to disqualify him simply because of his position is crazy.

David Carr, Joey Harrington, Mike Williams, Quentin Jammer. Hindsight is 20/20, but I bet those teams wish they broke convention and took ed reed top 5.

Charles Rodgers, Robert Gallery, Ronnie Brown, Reggie Bush, Calvin Johnson, Chris Long, Jason Smith, Ndamakong Suh, Von Miller, Robert Griffin III, Luke Joekel, Greg Robinson, Marcus Mariota, Carson Wentz.

That's every #2 pick since 2002 when ed reed was drafted. Which of those players means more to their franchise than ed reed? Only one we can argue MIGHT match by the end of his career is Von Miller, but the cat is still in the bag on that one, and 2011 was a historically good draft, particularly in the 1st round.

Also, here's something I found interesting...



2004 NFL Draft
1: San Diego Chargers: Eli Manning, QB
2: Oakland Raiders:Robert Gallery, OT
3: Arizona Cardinals: Larry Fitzgerald, WE
4: NY Giants: Phillip Rivers, QB
5: Washington Redskins: Sean Taylor, S

Manning, 2 time superbowl champ
Larry Fitzgerald, first ballot HOF
Phillip Rivers, FQB, top 5 at the time of his prime
Sean Taylor, likely to have been a perennial probowl/all pro player for a very long time.

Do you think the raiders and their fans wish they would have drafted Taylor? But hey, it is LAW that LT > FS, no matter how good the prospect.

Excellent post
Originally posted by adrianlesnar:
Name for me the QB, LT, pass rusher in the mold of peppers, WR, or CB worth a #2 pick? Lattimore is the closest thing with hamstring issues. You mean to tell me that, if shanny and lynch think hooker is BPA, they should pass because hey, safeties don't get taken top 3, so let's draft someone lower on our board? Of course, before berry was taken at 5, ppl were saying hey don't draft a safety top 5.

I'm not saying hooker is or should be the pick, but to disqualify him simply because of his position is crazy.

David Carr, Joey Harrington, Mike Williams, Quentin Jammer. Hindsight is 20/20, but I bet those teams wish they broke convention and took ed reed top 5.

Charles Rodgers, Robert Gallery, Ronnie Brown, Reggie Bush, Calvin Johnson, Chris Long, Jason Smith, Ndamakong Suh, Von Miller, Robert Griffin III, Luke Joekel, Greg Robinson, Marcus Mariota, Carson Wentz.

That's every #2 pick since 2002 when ed reed was drafted. Which of those players means more to their franchise than ed reed? Only one we can argue MIGHT match by the end of his career is Von Miller, but the cat is still in the bag on that one, and 2011 was a historically good draft, particularly in the 1st round.

Also, here's something I found interesting...



2004 NFL Draft
1: San Diego Chargers: Eli Manning, QB
2: Oakland Raiders:Robert Gallery, OT
3: Arizona Cardinals: Larry Fitzgerald, WE
4: NY Giants: Phillip Rivers, QB
5: Washington Redskins: Sean Taylor, S

Manning, 2 time superbowl champ
Larry Fitzgerald, first ballot HOF
Phillip Rivers, FQB, top 5 at the time of his prime
Sean Taylor, likely to have been a perennial probowl/all pro player for a very long time.

Do you think the raiders and their fans wish they would have drafted Taylor? But hey, it is LAW that LT > FS, no matter how good the prospect.

I'm sorry but we won't know how great Taylor's career would have been, so no they shouldn't have drafted him based on his death. I'm guessing they wished they should have drafted rivers and traded with NY or ftiz over a safety. Name me on safety that's a game changer? Someone that didn't have elite talent around them? Everyone keeps saying hooker is Reed/Thomas/Taylor but he's got one yr of real experience, is a poor tackler, is already injuried, and sounds like he lacks a real passion for the game...so your telling me if a more athletic justin smith is staring you in the face you say nah? f**k that
Open Menu Search Share 49ersWebzone