Solomon Thomas--Stanford

Originally posted by NYniner85:
I think any NFL OC can run a top rated offense with the "right" players

Did anyone turn Atlanta into a SB team?
Originally posted by tjd808185:
I think any NFL OC can run a top rated offense with the "right" players

Did anyone turn Atlanta into a SB team?

We will find out next yr...so once again one min your saying Kyle can only run a top end offense with top end talent (AJ/Julio) and now he was the reason they were in the SB? I swear you just like to argue lol.
We will find out next yr...so once again one min your saying Kyle can only run a top end offense with top end talent (AJ/Julio) and now he was the reason they were in the SB? I swear you just like to argue lol.

Talent and coaching are pretty much both needed. See our top rank d that didn't do sh until JH got here. No contradiction at all and lol about you lecturing people saying they only like to argue.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Mar 22, 2017 at 2:14 PM ]
Not to magically turn Aldon Robinson into Julio Jones. We hired him because with the pieces he can run a top rated offense.

Who said he would? The point was you don't need 8 Julio Jones out there though it would be great. Good coaching can get proper results in lesser players.

Elite WRs are not what make great teams go. Elite QBs, elite defensive players. As good as Julio is he can only do so much.
[ Edited by genus49 on Mar 22, 2017 at 2:15 PM ]
Originally posted by genus49:
But at one point you agreed that Thomas can play all over the line right? I know somewhere you agree with that...so why disregard a player who can be moved around to take better advantage of the other team's weaknesses?

I think we can agree that a pass rushing/run stopping defensive lineman is a plus for any team right? A guy like Thomas let's the coaches get really creative. The sport is beyond "line up these 4 guys and have them do their thing" it's mismatches, it's moving things around, confusing the offense, etc.

Thomas still has room to grow as a player but he's shown ability to do things like a seasoned vet. He's got crazy potential and his floor is pretty darn high as well.

The more I looked the more I am convinced he can't play on the edge or inside at a DT on run downs. He is strictly a LDE in an even front IMO
Who said he would? The point was you don't need 8 Julio Jones out there though it would be great. Good coaching can get proper results in lesser players.

Elite WRs are not

Shanny's history says he does need one to run a good offense. Without one he's gone 4 out of 5 years w/ a bottom 10 o.
Originally posted by jonnydel:
So, considering only one team has ever valued a safety as a top 3 pick in the past 35+ years or if we are going to invest it in a NT, are you saying we'd be better off with Reuben Foster at #2 than Thomas? Personally, I could go either way, but I also have a hard time valuing a #2 pick at LB - even the great P Willis wouldn't be valued that high. Why? Because even a great player like Willis didn't affect the game as much as a great pass rusher, QB, or Pass rush/Run D stuffer. There's a reason the top 3 picks are usually QB's, T's and D-lineman.

OK. Patrick Willis, Justin Smith or Tim McDonald.

You choose.
Originally posted by Ensatsu:
Aldon smith at OLB? He was a 4-3 DE in college.

He didn't have to drop his playing weight to transition.

Like I said before, if Thomas can do it without dropping his weight, then go for it. But if you want him to shed 20-25 pounds to play LEO because you don't think he is fast enough to get around a tackle, then that would be way too risky. You will risk losing muscle and a lot of the explosiveness that made him what he is.

So is it dropping weight or gaining it that bothers you? I don't think he has to lose 20lbs to be more explosive cause he's already got that going for him. Brook/Smith/Lynch all played around 265-270 as our edge rushers. I got no problem moving Thomas around to create mismatches on a weekly basis...still think he's best as a interior guy constantly being in nickle makes him even more valuable.

Brooks & Lynch aren't true LEO's in this scheme though and neither is Thomas; Aldon, yes. We don't have any LEO's right now. Honestly, we wouldn't even need to move Thomas at the 3T at all. Just put on 15-20 pounds over the next couple years and master the 3T. Spell him here and there with Armstead, Blair and Mitchell. If you want to toggle him, he'd toggle between LDE/5T & RDT/3T best. But let these guys play their natural positions. And like in your mock, draft Tyus Bowser to be your LEO.
Talent and coaching are pretty much both needed. See our top rank d that didn't do sh until JH got here. No contradiction at all and lol about you lecturing people saying they only like to argue.

So an offensive coach who was supposed to bring back the WCO is what it takes to bring a defense which didn't do sh before him?

How about you don't change history and actually call it like what happened? Which is our defense that was 13th in the league in yards and 16th in points given up added players like Aldon Smith, had Navarro Bowman start after Takeo Spikes left and we brought in key free agents like Donte Whitner and Carlos Rogers while giving Ray McDonald the starting job?

But hey those guys weren't any good....
Originally posted by JR80Forever:
If Solomon Thomas can only see the field by benching Arik Armstead, then we don't need him.

This team doesn't have the luxury to draft a DE for the 3rd year in a row.

No thanks, not happening

If Thomas is a far better player, sure they can, especially if Armstead turns out to continue taking plays off and looking as lost as he's looked his first two seasons. I doubt many 49ers fans would care about Armstead's feelings either if Thomas becomes a Pro-Bowl caliber player.

Armstead is no guarantee of anything, he could prove this season that he's a bust and the 49ers would be looking for a DL early in the next draft anyways, though I'm willing to bet you're not likely to have a guy like Thomas available who is about as complete a lineman as I've seen, rarely do you get such a combination of skills, athleticism and intangibles in a DL.

Lynch and Shanahan also have zero attachment to Armstead and zero reason to care about what Trent Baalke did or didn't do. New regime, new rules, new draft approach, clean slate.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Mar 22, 2017 at 2:23 PM ]

Originally posted by NCommand:
Brooks & Lynch aren't true LEO's in this scheme though and neither is Thomas; Aldon, yes. We don't have any LEO's right now. Honestly, we wouldn't even need to move Thomas at the 3T at all. Just put on 15-20 pounds over the next couple years and master the 3T. Spell him here and there with Armstead, Blair and Mitchell. If you want to toggle him, he'd toggle between LDE/5T & RDT/3T best. But let these guys play their natural positions. And like in your mock, draft Tyus Bowser to be your LEO.

The only thing Aldon had over Thomas was length. Thomas smoked his combine numbers across the board and showed similar skills on the field.
So an offensive coach who was supposed to bring back the WCO is what it takes to bring a defense which didn't do sh before him?

How about you don't change history and actually call it like what happened? Which is our defense that was 13th in the league in yards and 16th in points given up added players like Aldon Smith, had Navarro Bowman start after Takeo Spikes left and we brought in key free agents like Donte Whitner and Carlos Rogers while giving Ray McDonald the starting job?

But hey those guys weren't any good....

Harbaugh is a Bo S product who wants to play physical time control football and yes that helps a d. Take that out though he brought in Fangio we had nothing to do with that.

13th is average bro. That ain't doing sh and Aldon, Whitner, Rogers was picked up under JH.
Originally posted by SteveYoung:
The more I looked the more I am convinced he can't play on the edge or inside at a DT on run downs. He is strictly a LDE in an even front IMO

Why?

What has he shown you to say he cannot do that?

Maybe I'm not seeing it. I admit I was wrong about Kaepernick and didn't see that he was a waste of physical talent. I'm having a real hard time seeing issues with Thomas.
SI NFL‏Verified account @si_nfl
1. Browns — Myles Garrett 2. 49ers — Solomon Thomas 3. Bears — Jamal Adams 4. Browns (again!) — Mitchell Trubisky

http://www.si.com/nfl/2017/03/22/nfl-mock-draft-first-round-picks-trade-rumors?

2 Solomon Thomas

DE, Stanford
If the Jets don't want this pick to take a quarterback, the odds are stacked against San Francisco being able to unload it. And the 49ers only would be looking to trade if they don't want a QB here themselves, in which case it's up for debate which prospect falls directly behind Garrett in the pecking order. Pencil in Thomas as another option for the 49ers' growing stockpile of young talent along the defensive line.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Mar 22, 2017 at 2:28 PM ]
Originally posted by SteveYoung:
Originally posted by jonnydel:
So, considering only one team has ever valued a safety as a top 3 pick in the past 35+ years or if we are going to invest it in a NT, are you saying we'd be better off with Reuben Foster at #2 than Thomas? Personally, I could go either way, but I also have a hard time valuing a #2 pick at LB - even the great P Willis wouldn't be valued that high. Why? Because even a great player like Willis didn't affect the game as much as a great pass rusher, QB, or Pass rush/Run D stuffer. There's a reason the top 3 picks are usually QB's, T's and D-lineman.

OK. Patrick Willis, Justin Smith or Tim McDonald.

You choose.
A fairer comparison would be Patrick Willis, Von Miller(or Aldon in his prime) or Ed Reed.

Von Miller would be rated as the higher draft pick - no question. Why? Because a dominant, disruptive pass rusher affects the game more than a dominant LB or S. It's not saying that those other players aren't highly valued, but look at league values. Pass rushers get paid a LOT more money than LB's and a whole heck of a lot more than S. That's represents how much the league values pass rushers over the other positions. So, if it comes down to each of a guy at those 3 positions are equal, you pick the position that will affect the game more.
Share 49ersWebzone