LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 157 users in the forums

BPA

The Best Player Available in the draft is a standard that many teams preach and many in the Zone believe in.

IMO, that'd be Garrett in this draft.

In the spirit of having some fun and interesting takes - since nobody would take this season as fun -

Who are your BPA's - let's say 1-5.
IMO BPA means more as the further down you go in the draft...I think it's silly to base your top pick on BPA unless both players play a position of need.

I'm not drafting a safety because he's the #3 overall prospect vs a QB who's rated as the 10th.
It's easy to say BPA when you have the most important position on your team filled, which would be Quarterback. If you don't have one, you need to get one, it's that simple.

No team drafts on BPA alone. You fit BPA with the needs you have on your team.
my 1-5 BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE LIST would have to go

1. Myles Garrett
2. Leonard Fournette
3.Jonathan Allen
4.Ruben Foster
5. Derek Barnett
Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:
It's easy to say BPA when you have the most important position on your team filled, which would be Quarterback. If you don't have one, you need to get one, it's that simple.

No team drafts on BPA alone. You fit BPA with the needs you have on your team.

That's been my contention.

But I'm curious who you think the BPA are.
But I'm curious who you think the BPA are.
1. Myles Garrett
2. Leonard Fournette
3. Jonathan Allen
4. Malik McDowell
5. Dalvin Cook
1 - Jonathan Allen
2- Myles Garrett
3- Mitch Trubisky
4 - Deshaun Watson
5 - Corey Davis
Garrett and Allen.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
IMO BPA means more as the further down you go in the draft...I think it's silly to base your top pick on BPA unless both players play a position of need.

I'm not drafting a safety because he's the #3 overall prospect vs a QB who's rated as the 10th.

Almost everyone creating any kind of ranking is already factoring in positional value. If a safety is ranked as the #3 overall prospect, they are far better than a QB ranked as the #4 prospect. Running backs or middle linebackers have to be insanely good to make it to the top 5 of big boards while QBs only have to be pretty good.

Having said that, it's really difficult to estimate where QBs will be taken because all it takes is one or two teams rating a QB highly and they can be chosen really early based on the value of the position. Almost every team in the league could use a pass rusher while only certain teams need QBs so QBs can also slide a lot further if none of the teams with a need at the position like a prospect.

My list of top 5 BPA would be:
1. Myles Garrett (by far)
2. Jonathan Allen
3. Mitch Trubisky
4. DeShone Kizer
5. Leonard Fournette

We aren't going to take Allen or Fournette because we don't need a RB or 3-4 DE. It would be a terrible value for the 49ers to pick them, but Allen adds more expected value to a team that needs a 3-4 DE than any of the QBs this year add to a team that needs a QB in my opinion. There's a chance those top QBs never become above average starters, there's a chance they become slightly above average, and there's a smaller chance they become franchise QBs (if they do, they'll be worth more than any defensive player in this draft). On the other hand, there's a good chance Allen becomes a pro bowl DE/DT and a very low chance he'll bust. Trubisky is a safer pick than Kizer, but Kizer has a higher ceiling in my opinion (he may never reach it).

Fournette is a monster, but RBs tend to have shorter shelf lives and he's an injury risk. Odds are he'll be more valuable than Trubisky or Kizer but the slight chance that those guys become franchise QBs for 15+ years offsets the good chance Fournette becomes a franchise RB (much less valuable position) for 5-10 years.

Garrett is self-explanatory. You don't pass on a guy who has a good shot at being one of the top pass rushers in the league for a long time unless there's a QB who has a solid chance of being a franchise QB available (Cam Newton, Andrew Luck). None of the QBs this year are even close to pushing Garrett for the top pick in my opinion and Newton vs. Garrett would have been a tough choice.
[ Edited by eastcoast49ersfan on Dec 19, 2016 at 5:32 PM ]

Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
Almost everyone creating any kind of ranking is already factoring in positional value. If a safety is ranked as the #3 overall prospect, they are far better than a QB ranked as the #4 prospect. Running backs or middle linebackers have to be insanely good to make it to the top 5 of big boards while QBs only have to be pretty good.

Having said that, it's really difficult to estimate where QBs will be taken because all it takes is one or two teams rating a QB highly and they can be chosen really early based on the value of the position. Almost every team in the league could use a pass rusher while only certain teams need QBs so QBs can also slide a lot further if none of the teams with a need at the position like a prospect.

2. Jonathan Allen
3. Mitch Trubisky
4. DeShone Kizer
5. Leonard Fournette

We aren't going to take Allen or Fournette because we don't need a RB or 3-4 DE. It would be a terrible value for the 49ers to pick them, but Allen adds more expected value to a team that needs a 3-4 DE than any of the QBs this year add to a team that needs a QB in my opinion. There's a chance those top QBs never become above average starters, there's a chance they become slightly above average, and there's a smaller chance they become franchise QBs (if they do, they'll be worth more than any defensive player in this draft). On the other hand, there's a good chance Allen becomes a pro bowl DE/DT and a very low chance he'll bust. Trubisky is a safer pick than Kizer, but Kizer has a higher ceiling in my opinion (he may never reach it).

Fournette is a monster, but RBs tend to have shorter shelf lives and he's an injury risk. Odds are he'll be more valuable than Trubisky or Kizer but the slight chance that those guys become franchise QBs for 15+ years offsets the good chance Fournette becomes a franchise RB (much less valuable position) for 5-10 years.

Garrett is self-explanatory. You don't pass on a guy who has a good shot at being one of the top pass rushers in the league for a long time unless there's a QB who has a solid chance of being a franchise QB available (Cam Newton, Andrew Luck). None of the QBs this year are even close to pushing Garrett for the top pick in my opinion and Newton vs. Garrett would have been a tough choice.

What I'm saying is if a safety is looked at as the top 3 overall prospect and a qb is looked at as a top 5 prospect and you need a qb your taking the qb even if he's not BPA.
What I'm saying is if a safety is looked at as the top 3 overall prospect and a qb is looked at as a top 5 prospect and you need a qb your taking the qb even if he's not BPA.

Depends how much you need a QB versus how much you need a safety.

The 49ers have an immediate need at QB so I'd agree with you that we're more likely to pick a QB than a safety if they are considered similarly valuable prospects. A team like the Browns has a better alternative (Kessler and the option to pick a QB with their 2nd first round pick), so they'd be more likely to pick a non-QB like Allen even if a dominant pass rusher was not available. Same goes for the Bears - they could choose to stick with Cutler if they have to. He's still only 33 and had a really good season in 2015 even though he struggled in limited games in 2016.
Depends how much you need a QB versus how much you need a safety.

The 49ers have an immediate need at QB so I'd agree with you that we're more likely to pick a QB than a safety if they are considered similarly valuable prospects. A team like the Browns has a better alternative (Kessler and the option to pick a QB with their 2nd first round pick), so they'd be more likely to pick a non-QB like Allen even if a dominant pass rusher was not available. Same goes for the Bears - they could choose to stick with Cutler if they have to. He's still only 33 and had a really good season in 2015 even though he struggled in limited games in 2016.

Jay is not gonna be in Chicago next yr they can save $14 million but cuttting him next yr...fox is not putting his job on the line with jay as the qb.
The Niners need as many BPA's as they can get...which is why they should trade down if it's feasible. One player, no matter how good he is can make the difference 3-4 players (potentially) can. In this draft they need quality and quantity, after signing some good FA's. Let's hope our new GM is up to it.
  • fan49
  • Veteran

2. Jonathan Allen
3. Mitch Trubisky
4. DeShone Kizer
5. Leonard Fournette

If there was a top 5 QB, I'd agree 100% but simply there's not. I can't even put a QB in my top 10. Maybe not 15.
Share 49ersWebzone