LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 150 users in the forums

My Mock Offseason Version 1

• Shifty
  • Veteran
Front Office and Coaches
GM Tom Gamble
HC Chip Kelly
OC Chad O'Shea (Current Patriots WR Coach)
DC Mike Pettine - Pettine has taken a year away from the NFL but hopefully will come back and if he does we replace Jim O'Neill with his former HC. Pettine has been an NFL DC for 5 years and his defenses have ranked top 10 every time and have three times ranked top 5.

Notable Cuts/Not Re-Signed
Blaine Gabbert
Colin Kaepernick
Ahmad Brooks
Shaun Draughn
Ian Williams
Glenn Dorsey

Re-Signed
Jeremy Kerley - 2 year deal
Andrew Tiller - 2 year deal
Phil Dawson - 2 year deal
Vance McDonald - 3 year deal
Gerald Hodges - 1 year deal
Ray Ray Armstrong - 1 year deal

Free Agency
Chandler Jones OLB - 5 year deal - Elite pass rusher who is still young (will be 27 for next season) can help provide the pass rush we have been sorely missing the past couple seasons.
Bennie Logan NT - 4 year deal - A young up and coming NT who will replace guys like Ian Williams and Glenn Dorsey who have been unable to stay healthy. An Anchor to fit in right between Armstead and Buckner. Logan will be expensive but not close to Dontari Poe money and the productivity between the two isn't very much.
Julius Peppers OLB/DE - 2 year deal - Has 16 sacks the past two seasons combined. Obviously at his age he is a situational pass rusher, who can also help guide and mentor players like Lynch and Harold.
Brian Hoyer QB - 2 year deal - In 2016 and 2015 (17 games) his numbers are 4000 yards with 25 TD's and only 7 INT's. Can be a solid backup for us.

Trades
49ers trade Tank Carradine and 2018 6th round pick to Eagles for WR Nelson Agholor
49ers trade our 2nd and 4th round draft picks to move back into the 1st round.
49ers trade our 3rd round pick to Washington for their late 3rd and early 4th.

NFL Draft
Round 1 (#2 overall) Mitch Trubisky QB North Carolina - Browns take Myles Garrett #1 overall. We snag our QB and move on from Kap. Trubisky has all the tools and bring a fresh new start to the 49ers.
Round 1 (#28 overall via trade) Corey Davis WR Western Michigan - We move up to ensure we get our #1 WR that we have been lacking for so long. The goal is to give Trubisky all the weapons and opportunities to succeed.
Round 3 (#87 overall via trade with Washington) - Carlos Watkins NT Clemson - I'm a big fan of Bennie Logan and we get a guy who can develop behind him. Watkins can be a solid rotational player and eventually become the starting NT for us.
Round 4 (#101 via trade with Washington) - Kendell Beckwith ILB LSU - Beckwith can compete with Armstrong and Hodges to become the starter beside Bowman at ILB.
Round 4 (comp pick from Boone signing) - Jeremy Sprinkle TE Arkansas - 6'6 can push guys like Blake Bell and Garrett Celek for playing time. Provides a nice red zone target.
Round 5 - Shock Linwood RB Baylor - Competition for the backup spot behind Hyde.
Round 6 - Chad Kelly QB Ole Miss - His stock has plummeted due to injury and off the field incidents, but in the 6th round I'd like to take a risk because he does have a lot of talent.
Round 7 - BPA with a focus on a Kick/Punt returner.

What do you guys think?
[ Edited by Kalen49ers on Dec 1, 2016 at 11:22 PM ]
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
Front Office and Coaches
GM Tom Gamble
HC Chip Kelly
DC Mike Pettine - Pettine has taken a year away from the NFL but hopefully will come back and if he does we replace Jim O'Neill with his former HC. Pettine has been an NFL DC for 5 years and his defenses have ranked top 10 every time and have three times ranked top 5.

Blaine Gabbert
Colin Kaepernick
Ahmad Brooks
Shaun Draughn
Ian Williams
Glenn Dorsey

Re-Signed

Free Agency
Chandler Jones OLB - 5 year deal - Elite pass rusher who is still young (will be 27 for next season) can help provide the pass rush we have been sorely missing the past couple seasons.
Bennie Logan NT - 4 year deal - A young up and coming NT who will replace guys like Ian Williams and Glenn Dorsey who have been unable to stay healthy. An Anchor to fit in right between Armstead and Buckner. Logan will be expensive but not close to Dontari Poe money and the productivity between the two isn't very much.
Julius Peppers OLB/DE - 2 year deal - Has 16 sacks the past two seasons combined. Obviously at his age he is a situational pass rusher, who can also help guide and mentor players like Lynch and Harold.
Brian Hoyer QB - 2 year deal - In 2016 and 2015 (17 games) his numbers are 4000 yards with 25 TD's and only 7 INT's. Can be a solid backup for us.

Trades
49ers trade Tank Carradine and 2018 6th round pick to Eagles for WR Nelson Agholor

NFL Draft
Round 1 (#2 overall) Mitch Trubisky QB North Carolina - Browns take Myles Garrett #1 overall. We snag our QB and move on from Kap. Trubisky has all the tools and bring a fresh new start to the 49ers.
Round 1 (#28 overall via trade) Corey Davis WR Western Michigan - We move up to ensure we get our #1 WR that we have been lacking for so long. The goal is to give Trubisky all the weapons and opportunities to succeed.
Round 3 (#87 overall via trade with Washington) - Carlos Watkins NT Clemson - I'm a big fan of Bennie Logan and we get a guy who can develop behind him. Watkins can be a solid rotational player and eventually become the starting NT for us.
Round 4 (#101 via trade with Washington) - Kendell Beckwith ILB LSU - Beckwith can compete with Armstrong and Hodges to become the starter beside Bowman at ILB.
Round 4 (comp pick from Boone signing) - Jeremy Sprinkle TE Arkansas - 6'6 can push guys like Blake Bell and Garrett Celek for playing time. Provides a nice red zone target.
Round 5 - Shock Linwood RB Baylor - Competition for the backup spot behind Hyde.
Round 6 - Chad Kelly QB Ole Miss - His stock has plummeted due to injury and off the field incidents, but in the 6th round I'd like to take a risk because he does have a lot of talent.

What do you guys think?

I don't know who these players are but you sold me with Pettine
Chandler Jones will never hit free agency. Love Pettine. I don't think Trubisky is an immediate(if ever)upgrade to Kap so why not keep Kap and still draft Trubisky? Also, we need Oline help. Also, why get rid of Brooks and Dorsey/Williams as spot players or rats tip all guys?

No edge rusher in the draft too. This is our weakest position by far. I saw a Qb earlier this year eat an entire sandwhich before he threw the ball against our pass rush.

Love Corey Davis and Sprinkle. How can you not love a dude named Sprinkle?
Originally posted by SheHateMe:
Chandler Jones will never hit free agency. Love Pettine. I don't think Trubisky is an immediate(if ever)upgrade to Kap so why not keep Kap and still draft Trubisky? Also, we need Oline help. Also, why get rid of Brooks and Dorsey/Williams as spot players or rats tip all guys?

No edge rusher in the draft too. This is our weakest position by far. I saw a Qb earlier this year eat an entire sandwhich before he threw the ball against our pass rush.

Love Corey Davis and Sprinkle. How can you not love a dude named Sprinkle?

Brooks is gonna make almost $9 million next yr (and cost like 600k to cut) That would make him the 7th highest paid OLB in football he is nowhere close to worth that and your not gonna restructure his contract and add yrs on his contract, the pass rush simply isn't there anymore.
I've been wondering if we could land Pettine but I'm guessing he's gonna have choices lol.

Chandler jones isn't going anywhere and peppers is gonna be 37 no way your giving someone two yrs at that age. I would also keep kap if he wants to stay.

Love all your draft picks, but pass rusher IMO would have to be looked at cause I don't see Jones going anywhere or coming here, he will get paid wherever he goes.

Going after devonte fields in the 3rd instead of Watkins (who I like) would be better value.

Good job man!
Very nice mock offseason . Covers a lot of big time holes
Jones is staying in cle if he wants to or not
Originally posted by Zachary13White:
Jones is staying in cle if he wants to or not

Huh?
  • fan49
  • Veteran
offseason great. but its a fact no qb is a top 5 pick talent wise. even though 1 or two might get picked there. Not to mention how far it can put us back ina rebuild than picking a guy with the actual talent. Im not a kaep fan but id rather watch him play for a few years than pick someone in top 5
[ Edited by fan49 on Dec 2, 2016 at 12:06 PM ]
Free agents are not too realistic, but the draft would be a home run for me. Love it all except for Kelly

Why in the world would the Pats wr coach become our OC?
Originally posted by fan49:
offseason great. but its a fact no qb is a top 5 pick talent wise. even though 1 or two might get picked there. Not to mention how far it can put us back ina rebuild than picking a guy with the actual talent. Im not a kaep fan but id rather watch him play for a few years than pick someone in top 5

How is it a fact? I mean goff and wentz weren't top 5 talents this time last yr and ended up going 1&2.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran

Tell me something NY, would you as the 49er GM chosen Goff or Wentz over Buckner if both were available when we were pickin last year??
love the DC hire and FA u got but im not to big on the draft
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
Front Office and Coaches
GM Tom Gamble
HC Chip Kelly

Blaine Gabbert
Colin Kaepernick
Ahmad Brooks
Shaun Draughn
Ian Williams
Glenn Dorsey

Re-Signed

Free Agency

Trades

NFL Draft

What do you guys think?

Nice work with the two QBs

I think they might kick the tires on Dorsey/Williams, but I agree they'll need to address NT.
I don't think they have a chance with Jones or Peppers.
It'll be interesting to see what Chip does at the QB position. With the exception of Lewis, he's just been working with what he has at QB. Between FA and the draft, he should be able to find a group that he likes.
Share 49ersWebzone