There are 223 users in the forums

QB or Garrett

QB or Garrett

QB is not only the most important position but has the longest shelf life, so I'm divided between Garrett and Trubisky. The main decision I want the niners to be considering, with as much research as they can muster, is Trubisky far above other QBs they could take later? Or is he sort of better? If they could get Garrett and a QB in the second, or trade up for one in late first, it would really help the team long term.
Originally posted by filthyrich49er:
I remember reading something last season about Baalke being in love with Myles Garrett. If he's available, he's the pick. Next round look at someone like Chad Kelly

Douche bags shouldn't be drafted til late in the draft to see if they can shake that tag.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
QB is not only the most important position but has the longest shelf life, so I'm divided between Garrett and Trubisky. The main decision I want the niners to be considering, with as much research as they can muster, is Trubisky far above other QBs they could take later? Or is he sort of better? If they could get Garrett and a QB in the second, or trade up for one in late first, it would really help the team long term.

Bold - would be ideal!
Originally posted by frankieuc68:
Agree with Phoenix. Trubisky is trending up bigtime. He will follow Wentz meteoric rise from an unknown prospect to possibly challenge Garrett as the top pick in next year's draft if he continues to play well.

North Carolina isn't exactly North Dakota State...but yeah QBs tend to climb up draft boards because teams are so thirsty for them.

Offseason workouts and interviews are huge to QB evaluations though the one thing that really helped Wentz won't apply to a lot of these guys and that's the senior bowl.

The big knock on Carson was competition and playing in the senior bowl allowed him to address those concerns.
Originally posted by genus49:
Agree with Phoenix. Trubisky is trending up bigtime. He will follow Wentz meteoric rise from an unknown prospect to possibly challenge Garrett as the top pick in next year's draft if he continues to play well.

North Carolina isn't exactly North Dakota State...but yeah QBs tend to climb up draft boards because teams are so thirsty for them.

Offseason workouts and interviews are huge to QB evaluations though the one thing that really helped Wentz won't apply to a lot of these guys and that's the senior bowl.

The big knock on Carson was competition and playing in the senior bowl allowed him to address those concerns.
Sorry, I don't mean the school itself, but just his rise from the previous year. I have no idea who Wentz was until someone here mentioned to keep an eye on him his senior year. Next thing we know the media and the draft experts got a hold of it and the hype machine was under way, especially for a QB. We also thought Watson will be the undisputed no 1 QB for this coming draft but he suddenly have some question marks. Now here is kid from UNC who from last season many of us don't know about may very well be the first QB taken. As we all know, its a QB driven league and we know that the NFL draft is such a big spectacle and it sells big time when there is a franchise type QB to talk about. Last year the drama was Goff vs Wentz at the top and the blockbuster trades that took place before that. This upcoming draft, what will be the front running story line? QB and Trubisky is most likely will be front and center (if he declares).
[ Edited by frankieuc68 on Nov 6, 2016 at 1:41 PM ]
Sorry, I don't mean the school itself, but just his rise from the previous year. I have no idea who Wentz was until someone here mentioned to keep an eye on him his senior year. Next thing we know the media and the draft experts got a hold of it and the hype machine was under way, especially for a QB. We also thought Watson will be the undisputed no 1 QB for this coming draft but he suddenly have some question marks. Now here is kid from UNC who from last season many of us don't know about may very well be the first QB taken. As we all know, its a QB driven league and we know that the NFL draft is such a big spectacle and it sells big time when there is a franchise type QB to talk about. Last year the drama was Goff vs Wentz at the top and the blockbuster trades that took place before that. This upcoming draft, what will be the front running story line? QB and Trubisky most likely will be front and center (if he declares).

Oh I know just saying Trubisky is a bit more of a known due to playing for NC. Much easier for people to watch him than it was for people to see Wentz.

Trub certainly has some impressive skills and has looked great this year so I can see him climbing up boards quickly if he hasn't already.
Got it. I know it sucks that our team is horrible right now, but to be in a postion to grab a QB (if we stay at 2 after the season) without trading up would be the silver lining on otherwise a crappy season.
I think the answer to this depends on how aggressive we want to be in the draft. We have a total of 10 picks from what I understand. I'm all for going for Garrett because #1, he is the best player, takes care of the number one need for any defense (get the QB), and can make other players in the front 7 better by the attention he will command. If we were to go with Myles Garrett if he is available, we would have to make a move back into the first with our 2nd and 3rd and possibly another pick to to get one of the top QB prospects, or we can try to go with Falk out of WSU who may be a late 1st round pick.

As much as I love Garrett, I'd rather not play that game. The Houston Texans have an unbelievable defensive player in JJ Watt and have very little to show for it in the last 5 seasons. Play it safe, take Mitch Trubisky if available, and make an aggressive move for the next best pass rusher.
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
The decision will be made for the 49ers based on what happens at 1 if SF is #2.

Whether it's a team trading up for Garrett or a QB, or Cleveland making the pick.
[ Edited by FL9er on Nov 6, 2016 at 3:00 PM ]
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I think the answer to this depends on how aggressive we want to be in the draft. We have a total of 10 picks from what I understand. I'm all for going for Garrett because #1, he is the best player, takes care of the number one need for any defense (get the QB), and can make other players in the front 7 better by the attention he will command. If we were to go with Myles Garrett if he is available, we would have to make a move back into the first with our 2nd and 3rd and possibly another pick to to get one of the top QB prospects, or we can try to go with Falk out of WSU who may be a late 1st round pick.

As much as I love Garrett, I'd rather not play that game. The Houston Texans have an unbelievable defensive player in JJ Watt and have very little to show for it in the last 5 seasons. Play it safe, take Mitch Trubisky if available, and make an aggressive move for the next best pass rusher.

That's the problem..is Trubisky playing it safe? Is any QB in this class playing it safe? I don't think so. If anything I think Falk may be the safest pick because of how much time he spends working on his game...but maybe other guys are film junkies, sports science people as well but I haven't heard as much about it.

Mitch has really had just one season as a starter on an offense with pretty good talent around him. There are definitely things he needs to work on which will get him in trouble in the NFL. We'd be making an assumption that he can fix those things...those assumptions don't always go the right way.

Garrett is the safe choice in this occasion IMO. I don't want to keep making Oakland as an example because they got lucky with Carr being there but when they drafted Russell how did that go? How did it go when they took the best player rather than reaching for QB?

Yes you take a gamble that the QB you do like will be there for either a trade up into the first or at our 2nd rounder but is it riskier to do that and hope you can still get a guy you like to develop or letting a stud defender pass by to draft a QB who is not a sure thing just because you need QB?

Definitely tough choice but we'll see how each prospect looks the rest of the season, where we're actually drafting and how the offseason for the guys who declare will go.

If Trubisky is gone at 2, I'm also on the Falk bandwagon. If there is a team or teams looking to trade up for Garrett or any of the blue chippers that they like is available, I also wouldn't mind going down that road like people here mentioned to get a haul of picks and use one of those picks for Falk.
No QB this year. The year after 2018 will be solid. Browning anyone??? No I say D.
IDK about Garrett. He's been taking a lot of plays off this yr, in the games I've been watching it. I question the motor. Can he be more consistent at the next level?
Been hearing a lot of comparisons to Von Miller... no way.
I say trade back, grab some more picks. Defense will be solid. Hell Bama has some studs coming out. Allen is a machine!
Would love Foster too right next to Bowman
s**t I wouldn't mind Fournette
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
82% Garrett? LOL, people just don't learn.

Hey, Jadeveon Clowney was supposed to be the best player in the 2014 draft too. Any draft re-do you reckon? LOL.

Grab a top QB first and build the team around the guy.
Originally posted by Rascal:
82% Garrett? LOL, people just don't learn.

Hey, Jadeveon Clowney was supposed to be the best player in the 2014 draft too. Any draft re-do you reckon? LOL.

Grab a top QB first and build the team around the guy.

Jadaveon Clowney had microfracture surgery. That's usually a career killer. That can happen to anyone. He was absolutely the best player in the draft before the injury.

You take the best player, and Garrett is easily the best player on the board. Andrew Luck is not in this draft.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerSickness:
Jadaveon Clowney had microfracture surgery. That's usually a career killer. That can happen to anyone. He was absolutely the best player in the draft before the injury.

You take the best player, and Garrett is easily the best player on the board. Andrew Luck is not in this draft.

Sorry bro, I am pretty much sure the Browns might beg you differ. Once again only the Cleveland Browns can cock it up by handing Carson Wentz away on a silver platter. If I was Sashi Brown, I would be crapping in my pants. And I am also pretty much sure that Carson Wentz wasn't the best player on the board.

Listen, you can't just go blind and draft BPA without context all the time.
Share 49ersWebzone