There are 247 users in the forums

QB Carson Wentz NDSU 6'5 225 Lbs

• evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mayo49:
The Cowboys need a reliable backup to Romo. I don't see a draft pick doing that for them.

Nothing stops them from trying to land RG3 on a 1-2 year relatively inexpensive deal or going after another QB who can be the backup now and allow them to bring the rook along slowly. If the rookie develops quicker than expected and or can beat out RG3 for the backup spot so be it.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
I am sure Goff will not throw at the combine, so it will come down to his pro day. Can he blow people away in combine interviews and at his Pro Day? If so, should be a top 7 pick for sure.

"I'll do it all," Goff said. "I'll throw and I'll do it all. I think it's the right thing to do. I've got nothing to hide. Go out there and throw and have some fun."
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
My sense is, that's the thinking that many teams had when they passed on Aaron Rodgers in 2005. Of course, the only team that had the foresight to see beyond the two years was Green Bay.

I don't entirely disagree with your point, I just think that if your organization has done it's homework and feel that first round QB has "franchise" potential, you bite the bullet and draft him. Exception being teams that have recently drafted their franchise QB (e.g., Tenn, Jax, Tampa) or signed theirs to a big contract (Balt, Miami, etc).

Even more so if your QB is 35+ and coming off an injury-plagued year. Doubly so if you were able to secure 3 first-round prospects from your draft last year for various reasons (Jones, Gregory and Collins). In that scenario, you have more wiggle room than most teams to take a chance on a top prospect should one fall to you at #4.

There's a good chance Dallas will not be picking this high again any time soon, so if I wanted to set my franchise up for the next decade, I strongly consider Goff or Wentz at #4, then address defense/offensive weapons with my remaining picks.

Have you ever known Jerry Jones to think his window is closing? By taking a QB at #4 overall when they gave Tony Romo a huge extension a couple of years ago seems far fetched to me.

Would it be a smart move? Absolutely.
Has Jerry Jones made many smart moves as a GM lately? Nope...

Jones wants to win the SB every season and he should but drafting a QB who won't play unless the starter gets injured or within 2-3 years when that starter may move on doesn't make sense if you're trying to win now.

Drafting a 3 down starter on defense makes sense in improving your team right away. Prior to last season Romo missed 2 starts in the previous 4 seasons. All Dallas has to do is bring in a competent backup. Not to mention they've invested VERY heavily in their OL. Their QB should be protected.

I'll be very surprised if they go QB there it will be totally un Jerry Jones like.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/02/10/mayock-calls-carson-wentz-the-drafts-best-quarterback/

Mike Mayock of NFL Network came out with his first draft rankings of the year, and Wentz is atop Mayock's quarterback list.

Jared Goff of Cal and Paxton Lynch of Memphis are, as expected, ranked second and third. Michigan State's Connor Cook and Mississippi State's Dak Prescott round out the Top 5.

The Titans, owners of the first overall pick, won't draft a quarterback this year after drafting Marcus Mariota last year. But they could be looking to deal their pick to a team that falls in love with Wentz, Goff or Lynch.

Among teams that may consider a first-round quarterback are the Browns at No. 2, the Cowboys at No. 4, the 49ers at No. 7, the Bears at No. 11, the Eagles at No. 13 and the Rams at No. 15. The Titans would love it if one quarterback emerges as the clear-cut top prospect, and some of those teams start a bidding war for the top pick. Mayock thinks that top quarterback will be Wentz.

NFL Media analyst Bucky Brooks believes North Dakota State QB Carson Wentz could be used like Cam Newton in the NFL.

Similarly to Newton, the 6-foot-5, 233-pound Wentz is huge, athletic, creative, confident, always willing to test the defense. Oh, and they both come equipped with guns. "The comparison comes from watching Wentz play in the fall and watching him execute some of the concepts and tactics that Cam does for the Panthers," Brooks said. "Designed quarterback runs, powers, draw plays, some of the zone-read things, that leads me to believe a creative offensive coordinator could implement some of those things for him to take advantage of his unique athleticism for a guy his size." Brooks concluded: "People say (Joe) Flacco and some other guys (when making Wentz comparisons), but he's far more athletic than that. He's not the physical specimen than Cam is but he is a big-bodied, athletic quarterback who is very comfortable running and putting his body in harm's way." Feb 12 - 10:25 PM

If he's sitting there at 7 do you take him???? That's a tough call for me.
Browns - Wentz
Cowboys - Lynch
Niners - Goff

Please and Thank you.
That's IF all three take QBs
Originally posted by GNS1310:
Browns - Wentz
Cowboys - Lynch
Niners - Goff

Please and Thank you.

I think lynch is out of the top 2 conversation. But teams do fall in love with qbs and reach. See ej Manuel.
Originally posted by GNS1310:
Browns - Wentz
Cowboys - Lynch
Niners - Goff

Please and Thank you.

I just don't see the Cowboy's taking a QB in the top 5 to sit the bench for a couple years they are a playoff team when healthy and need some serious help in the secondary, DL, and LB positions.

They'd be crazy not to take Jack or Ramsey if one is there...day one starter vs clip board holder.
Man I don't know what to think. I really want to go defense at 7 but it's hard passing on Wentz or Goff if one falls to 7. Guess the ideal thing would be if Lynch falls to later in the 1st and we trade up for him
Originally posted by Niners418:
Man I don't know what to think. I really want to go defense at 7 but it's hard passing on Wentz or Goff if one falls to 7. Guess the ideal thing would be if Lynch falls to later in the 1st and we trade up for him

I'm just not in love with Lynch...I think Goff or Wentz if we are going QB early.

If we are waiting until later I like Dak

Originally posted by NYniner85:
I just don't see the Cowboy's taking a QB in the top 5 to sit the bench for a couple years they are a playoff team when healthy and need some serious help in the secondary, DL, and LB positions.

They'd be crazy not to take Jack or Ramsey if one is there...day one starter vs clip board holder.

I think Dallas is more likely to take a guy like Dak Prescott in the 3rd round.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

I think Dallas is more likely to take a guy like Dak Prescott in the 3rd round.

Yeah I just don't see them passing on a day one starter...another QB getting some buzz is Jeff Driskel

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/11340/jeff-driskel

According to NFL draft insider Tony Pauline, Louisiana Tech QB Jeff Driskel has been stamped with a second-round grade by "a number of franchises."

Driskel has NFL-caliber arm strength and size (6'4/230), and scouts were reportedly impressed with the way he improved at the Senior Bowl as the week of practices progressed. Per Pauline, some evaluators believe a good Combine performance could push Driskel toward the top of the second quarterback tier, ahead of Michigan State's Connor Cook and Penn State's Christian Hackenberg. Feb 15 - 10:58 AM
Yeah I just don't see them passing on a day one starter...another QB getting some buzz is Jeff Driskel

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/11340/jeff-driskel

According to NFL draft insider Tony Pauline, Louisiana Tech QB Jeff Driskel has been stamped with a second-round grade by "a number of franchises."

Driskel has NFL-caliber arm strength and size (6'4/230), and scouts were reportedly impressed with the way he improved at the Senior Bowl as the week of practices progressed. Per Pauline, some evaluators believe a good Combine performance could push Driskel toward the top of the second quarterback tier, ahead of Michigan State's Connor Cook and Penn State's Christian Hackenberg. Feb 15 - 10:58 AM

I'd be shocked if Driskel goes before round 4. But I am a bitter Gators fan that watched him do nothing for us for a couple of years

I admit he came on strong for LA Tech in a more spread attack but under center and have to drop back and go through progressions, looked lost more often than not
I was thinking Driskel would be a good late round pick to see what he can do with NFL coaching.

Wouldn't touch him til round 5 though. One year doesn't wipe out the rest of his college career.
Originally posted by genus49:
I was thinking Driskel would be a good late round pick to see what he can do with NFL coaching.

Wouldn't touch him til round 5 though. One year doesn't wipe out the rest of his college career.

Share 49ersWebzone