49ers vs. Broncos Tickets Available! →

There are 614 users in the forums

Who's the Best QB in College Football?

Browse 49ers books and videos
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by Geeked:
Originally posted by NinerSickness:
A bit on Cody Kessler:

The first thing I've noticed about Kessler is that the defense rarely even gets within spitting distance of him with the wind blowing towards the Kessler. And I'm not just talking about Arkansas State; I mean last year too. His TD / INT ratio is insane, but gaudy stats matter little for a college QB (see Ken Dorsey). You can't hold that against him, but I'm not sure I see anything but a rich man's Matt Barkley (whom I hated). In fact, the guy to whom he should be compared is probably Aaron Murray; and Murray might have a slight edge IMO.

I mentioned Goff''s arm as a potential flaw; Kessler's seems weaker than Goff's. He throws a wobbly and / or slow ball quite a bit. And he's got 2 years on Goff.

Also, this should worry you if you're thinking of drafting Kessler:


That's one of those plays that would get the Kaepernick-just-got-a-delay-of-game-on-3rd-and-1-with-3-time-outs-in-the-4th-quarter-in-the-NFCCG reactions if I were a USC fan. He had to turn his body so much to look right that he didn't see an unblocked defender coming 30 degrees to his left? WHEN HE'S RIGHT HANDED??? Uh oh.

Also, the ball travels really far during his delivery. Not extremely tight & quick. A little Byron Leftwhichy. I'm not sure I'm seeing an NFL starter in Cody Kessler.

This is such a load of crap. First, I actually watch SC games and will tell you Kessler is MILES better than Barkley's wildest wet dream. Your example of Kessler's weakness applies to every QB playing outside of Mariota ( and that's a maybe).

Now, Kessler may not be the best QB out there but give the kid credit. And if you actually watch a few games, you may realize the guy makes throws no one else in the pac is making.

Kessler has issue with handling pressure????? Look at his numbers behind a 3 FRESHMAN o-line!!!! And his numbers during a FIVE SACK game, being hurried every other drop back.... And having receivers DROPPING the BALL!!!



Agreed, I think Kessler is a better QB than what Sickness is giving him credit for. Kessler has good pocket awareness sorta Drew Brees like. I could easily see Kessler as a 2nd round pick.

Where'd all the Cody Kessler love go? He was supposed to have Drew-Brees-like awareness. 2nd-round pick?

Still not looking like an NFL starter to me..
[ Edited by NinerSickness on Apr 2, 2016 at 3:37 AM ]
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 44,532
Chris B. Brown ‏@smartfootball
This piece by @RobertKlemko on QBs is not only excellent, it's important. Highest recommendation

How Quarterbacks Are Made

The MMQB examined the youth football careers and family backgrounds of the 15 QBs taken in this year's NFL draft (a record number), and found several key life experiences that appear to be predictors of success. Often, the men who play the position aren't natural born leaders

http://mmqb.si.com/0mmqb/2016/05/11/nfl-draft-quarterbacks-how-modern-qbs-are-made-jared-goff-carson-wentz
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 67,089
Originally posted by TheBlueHell:
Originally posted by The411:
Hit me over the head all you want but it still doesn't make Watson a 1st round QB. He doesn't make complex reads.

Dude....He might be the #1 overall pick, much less a first rounder.

NFL QB coach: Deshaun Watson could be top pick in 2017 By Chase Goodbread College Football 24/7 writer Published: Jan. 15, 2016 at 11:29 a.m. Updated: Jan. 15, 2016 at 01:00 p.m. 8 Likes | 14 Comments Email Print Read Discuss

NFL Deshaun Watson excelled against Alabama's talented defense in the national title game.

Clemson quarterback Deshaun Watson has the potential to be the No. 1 choice in the 2017 NFL Draft, according to an NFL quarterbacks coach who was especially impressed with the Watson's performance against Alabama in the College Football Playoff title game Monday night.

Watson passed for 405 yards and rushed for another 73, despite getting virtually no help from a running game, in a 45-40 loss to the Crimson Tide. Alabama's defense rated No. 3 in the nation in scoring defense and total defense. He completed 30 of 47 passes and threw some of them into the tightest of windows, including his first touchdown throw to Hunter Renfrow that split an Alabama cornerback and safety in the back of the end zone.

"Those are NFL players he was going against. He threw with anticipation. He was very accurate. He responded well to adversity. He's a smooth athlete, and he showed he's tough," the NFL quarterbacks coach told FOX Sports, adding "and, it's not like he has the talent around him like (former Clemson star) Tajh Boyd had. Boyd was playing with Pro Bowlers."

When it's all said and done, Watson won't even be drafted in the top 10, I'd say top 20. My #1 reason is how he measures and test at the Combine, he's listed at 6'2" 206 pounds, but college always inflates measurements. Then they will breakdown his offense scrutinize it to the T and find out why he turn the ball over 13 times. You see it all the time, flashy players coming outta college falling due to minor detail.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 67,089
Originally posted by NinerSickness:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by Geeked:
Originally posted by NinerSickness:
A bit on Cody Kessler:

The first thing I've noticed about Kessler is that the defense rarely even gets within spitting distance of him with the wind blowing towards the Kessler. And I'm not just talking about Arkansas State; I mean last year too. His TD / INT ratio is insane, but gaudy stats matter little for a college QB (see Ken Dorsey). You can't hold that against him, but I'm not sure I see anything but a rich man's Matt Barkley (whom I hated). In fact, the guy to whom he should be compared is probably Aaron Murray; and Murray might have a slight edge IMO.

I mentioned Goff''s arm as a potential flaw; Kessler's seems weaker than Goff's. He throws a wobbly and / or slow ball quite a bit. And he's got 2 years on Goff.

Also, this should worry you if you're thinking of drafting Kessler:


That's one of those plays that would get the Kaepernick-just-got-a-delay-of-game-on-3rd-and-1-with-3-time-outs-in-the-4th-quarter-in-the-NFCCG reactions if I were a USC fan. He had to turn his body so much to look right that he didn't see an unblocked defender coming 30 degrees to his left? WHEN HE'S RIGHT HANDED??? Uh oh.

Also, the ball travels really far during his delivery. Not extremely tight & quick. A little Byron Leftwhichy. I'm not sure I'm seeing an NFL starter in Cody Kessler.

This is such a load of crap. First, I actually watch SC games and will tell you Kessler is MILES better than Barkley's wildest wet dream. Your example of Kessler's weakness applies to every QB playing outside of Mariota ( and that's a maybe).

Now, Kessler may not be the best QB out there but give the kid credit. And if you actually watch a few games, you may realize the guy makes throws no one else in the pac is making.

Kessler has issue with handling pressure????? Look at his numbers behind a 3 FRESHMAN o-line!!!! And his numbers during a FIVE SACK game, being hurried every other drop back.... And having receivers DROPPING the BALL!!!



Agreed, I think Kessler is a better QB than what Sickness is giving him credit for. Kessler has good pocket awareness sorta Drew Brees like. I could easily see Kessler as a 2nd round pick.

Where'd all the Cody Kessler love go? He was supposed to have Drew-Brees-like awareness. 2nd-round pick?

Still not looking like an NFL starter to me..

What do you mean where'd it all go, um he was drafted by Cleveland in the 3rd round when a lot of people thought he would go much much later including me. I wanted the 49ers to draft him but that's history now we can't do anything or say anything about it, so what else is there to talk about?
Open Menu Search Share 49ersWebzone