LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 171 users in the forums

Ty Montgomery - The Forgotten Man

What a difference a year makes for Ty. Last year, he was considered a late 1st/early 2nd round selection. We saw an explosive WR with power. With the ball in his hands, he ran angry like a running back. He was the most feared returner. Then, he decided to stay in school his senior year and everything went south. Stanford had a rough year, Ty battled some nagging injuries, dropped passes, and just couldn't show the consistency on the field. Maybe it could have been the QB play or his health, but Ty just wasn't Ty.

IMO, this gives us an opportunity to target him in the 4th round, where he's slated to go. He just had an impressive pro day, where he showed better quickness after having lost around 5 lbs since the combine. He's got big hands, an excellent run blocker, explosive, versatile, and a high character guy on and off the field.

Ty Montgomery, WR - Stanford
6', 215 lbs
4.5 40-time

[ Edited by AsianJeff on Mar 24, 2015 at 7:56 AM ]
cannot track the ball very well.
Originally posted by communist:
cannot track the ball very well.

he needs some work with his hand-eye coordination, but the guy's got really big mits for hands and could become a legit target in the nfl
Local guy, won't draft lol.
Weaknesses Doesn't display natural wide receiver characteristics. Needs more than just polish with routes and must incorporate route diversity at some point. Averaged just 9.9 yards per catch in 2014. Extremely suspect hands with 16 drops and three fumbles over his last three seasons. Allows throws to get on top of him. Hands lack supple qualities and his catch radius is smaller than desired. His confidence has been questioned by scouting community. His body of work as a receiver hasn't matched his physical potential. Has had only one season of significant touchdown production. Tightly wound with scouts questioning if he's too muscled.

Sounds like roid rage

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/ty-montgomery?id=2552429
Originally posted by valrod33:
Weaknesses Doesn't display natural wide receiver characteristics. Needs more than just polish with routes and must incorporate route diversity at some point. Averaged just 9.9 yards per catch in 2014. Extremely suspect hands with 16 drops and three fumbles over his last three seasons. Allows throws to get on top of him. Hands lack supple qualities and his catch radius is smaller than desired. His confidence has been questioned by scouting community. His body of work as a receiver hasn't matched his physical potential. Has had only one season of significant touchdown production. Tightly wound with scouts questioning if he's too muscled.

Sounds like roid rage

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/ty-montgomery?id=2552429

lol

having watched him the last few seasons here, I'd say that I'm most worried about his hands and that he does "Vernon Davis" the ball a lot. He's got to realize his 10+ inch hands are perfect for snatching the ball. His route running does need work, but he's perfect for those short slants. Also, his QB was Kevin Hogan....not really the greatest QB out there.
which round would you target him?
Originally posted by communist:
which round would you target him?

4th round
Will he be there in the 5-6th???
I know it's "just the Combine", but he didn't show much there. Looked slow, bad cuts, bad hands, disinterested attitude.

Not quite sure why. I remember last year being pretty high on him as a potential 2nd rounder, now I don't think he's anything special, but I'm basing it off of his Combine performance.

What happened Ty?

Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Will he be there in the 5-6th???

I saw maybe one mock that had him slated as a 5th, but I don't know if I can see a team passing on a guy with this size and speed at the receiver position. He's still relatively raw and teams might see a little bit of Cordarelle Patterson in him as far potential, with more of a willingness to run block
[ Edited by AsianJeff on Mar 24, 2015 at 9:09 AM ]
Wouldn't draft till 6th round. Not impressed at all with this kid
Member Milestone: This is post number 1,800 for jacklegniner.
1. He seems quick. Don't care what the timed 40 is because he just seems like he has a faster gear than the other guys.

2. He also seems like he has really good instincts once he gets the ball. avoiding tackles/dodging defenders.

3. How scary is it in the draft where a guy could be rated high one year and then possibly in the 4th the next. All positions have the ability to bust but wr's are so fickle to judge.

4. Don't think wr is a huge need now that we have Torrey and Boldin so if the Niners wanted to go with a wr in the 4th to develop, I'm down... especially if he has return skills. Seems like that is always a need for us.
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Wouldn't draft till 6th round. Not impressed at all with this kid

Really? Good size, big hands, fast, good run blocker, and has experience being a return man (a position that we need to address), but you're not impressed with him?
Originally posted by socal9er42:
I know it's "just the Combine", but he didn't show much there. Looked slow, bad cuts, bad hands, disinterested attitude.

Not quite sure why. I remember last year being pretty high on him as a potential 2nd rounder, now I don't think he's anything special, but I'm basing it off of his Combine performance.

What happened Ty?

Yea, his combine and Senior Bowl performances weren't something to rave about. He did perform well at his pro day and NFL.com mentioned that he'd be a starting kick returner/punt returner the day he walks into a facility.

He'll need time to develop. Maybe he just wasn't healthy last year or maybe he just couldn't get that chemistry going with Hogan, but in the 4th round, I see a potential steal there.
Share 49ersWebzone