LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 182 users in the forums

Ty Montgomery - The Forgotten Man

Originally posted by gold49digger:
Originally posted by AsianJeff:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
There is a reason he is forgotten. Not a fan of him and I would be mad if this is the only wr we get in the draft.

This...there are some real good prospects and we have a chance to get a very good one in the 1st two rounds.

Why take one in the first two rounds when we just signed Torrey Smith? Weren't you someone that said we should target a need? this WR class is pretty strong, too.

We should think long term also. Sure, we signed Smith but this is most likely Boldins last or second to last year playing. After that, we got Simpson, who isn't guaranteed to make the roster, and the two youngins in qp and bruce. A receiver in the first isn't the worst idea, especially if its a quality one.

If we're looking long term, Niners should pick Todd Gurley in the 1st, but that's for a different thread
  • All22
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ParkingLotPimpin:
Convert to a running back

There are a lot of slashback (i.e. RB/WR combo) players coming out this year and I'm betting a guy like this ends up on the Patriots or Seahawks.
There is a reason he is forgotten. Not a fan of him and I would be mad if this is the only wr we get in the draft.

This...there are some real good prospects and we have a chance to get a very good one in the 1st two rounds.

Why take one in the first two rounds when we just signed Torrey Smith? Weren't you someone that said we should target a need? this WR class is pretty strong, too.

We should think long term also. Sure, we signed Smith but this is most likely Boldins last or second to last year playing. After that, we got Simpson, who isn't guaranteed to make the roster, and the two youngins in qp and bruce. A receiver in the first isn't the worst idea, especially if its a quality one.

If we're looking long term, Niners should pick Todd Gurley in the 1st, but that's for a different thread

LOL im sure you would be the first one jumping if we do get Gurley.

LOL im sure you would be the first one jumping if we do get Gurley.

Without a doubt.

Until we make the selection, I'm on the "Todd Gurley at #15" bandwagon
Ellington was 7th in avg return yards and 11th in total yards last year,That's not bad for a 1st year player... and Bush/Ellington would most likely take over punt returns.
They compare Ty to Patterson in that he's basically a running back playing WR, he can't run routes, has bad hands, and he's only avg 9.9 yards per game

If he is around later than the 4th it might be a good gamble, but I would not want him as our 1st WR grabbed in this draft...he brings nothing special to our WR group and I don't think you can't have Ellington, Patton, and Montgomery all active...if Boldin and or Smith get hurt we will be in bad shape at WR.....

Can't run routes? I wouldn't go that far. IMO, I feel like he's a perfect fit for a west coast style offense. He runs the slants relatively well, short or mid. His hands are definitely questionable but something that can be coaches, just like route running. The avg yards per game can be blamed on the QB, too, and like I mentioned, Kevin Hogan isn't exactly Andrew Luck.

Maybe we just have a different take on this roster pre-draft. With Torrey Smith signed, I don't think we necessarily need to draft a WR early unless DGB is available for us in the 2nd. If Boldin and Smith both get hurt, it doesn't matter who we draft at WR, it's still going to be a tough year for that group. The way I look at it, Ellington/Patton/Montgomery would each bring in their specific set of skills. Ellington is explosive, Patton's route running is precise, and Montgomery brings a physical presence like Boldin.

" Doesn't display natural wide receiver characteristics. Needs more than just polish with routes and must incorporate route diversity at some point" NFL.com

Who said we are running a WCO offense? Totally agree on the QB issue, but 9.9 yards per catch is awful for someone that suppose to be good at YAC. Difference between Ty and Boldin is Boldin can actually catch balls in tight spaces, Ty tends to use his body vs his big hands (which can be taught). He would be a big project for Adam.

If Boldin or Smith gets hurt Patton/Ellington moves up to our #2 which is not good IMO. Tell Evan,OBJ,Benjamin, Watkins, Matthews, Bryant etc that a rookie can't step up if we lose a starter

After missing out on some very good WRs last year, I would be very upset if Baalke waited to draft this kid based on all the talent in this draft. We are one injury away from have a very bad WR group.
" Doesn't display natural wide receiver characteristics. Needs more than just polish with routes and must incorporate route diversity at some point" NFL.com

Who said we are running a WCO offense? Totally agree on the QB issue, but 9.9 yards per catch is awful for someone that suppose to be good at YAC. Difference between Ty and Boldin is Boldin can actually catch balls in tight spaces, Ty tends to use his body vs his big hands (which can be taught). He would be a big project for Adam.

If Boldin or Smith gets hurt Patton/Ellington moves up to our #2 which is not good IMO. Tell Evan,OBJ,Benjamin, Watkins, Matthews, Bryant etc that a rookie can't step up if we lose a starter

After missing out on some very good WRs last year, I would be very upset if Baalke waited to draft this kid based on all the talent in this draft. We are one injury away from have a very bad WR group.

never said that Montgomery couldn't step up to make a difference within this WR group.

from all accounts, and I know this, Ty is very coachable, very humble kid. He'd stick to Boldin like glue. Learn from one of the best.

I want to target BPA if we stay at 15 and if Parker is there he will be BPA IMO

Todd Gurley would be BPA

never said that Montgomery couldn't step up to make a difference within this WR group.

from all accounts, and I know this, Ty is very coachable, very humble kid. He'd stick to Boldin like glue. Learn from one of the best.

Fair enough...he doesn't seem like a player (at this point) that could make much of a difference if a injury happened. He is a major work in progress.

Todd Gurley would be BPA

Oh boy lol that's for another thread and actually according to CBS big board Parker is higher than Gurley. I'll take the player not coming off a torn ACL.

• All22
  • Veteran
Ellington was 7th in avg return yards and 11th in total yards last year,That's not bad for a 1st year player... and Bush/Ellington would most likely take over punt returns.
They compare Ty to Patterson in that he's basically a running back playing WR, he can't run routes, has bad hands, and he's only avg 9.9 yards per game

If he is around later than the 4th it might be a good gamble, but I would not want him as our 1st WR grabbed in this draft...he brings nothing special to our WR group and I don't think you can't have Ellington, Patton, and Montgomery all active...if Boldin and or Smith get hurt we will be in bad shape at WR.....

Can't run routes? I wouldn't go that far. IMO, I feel like he's a perfect fit for a west coast style offense. He runs the slants relatively well, short or mid. His hands are definitely questionable but something that can be coaches, just like route running. The avg yards per game can be blamed on the QB, too, and like I mentioned, Kevin Hogan isn't exactly Andrew Luck.

Maybe we just have a different take on this roster pre-draft. With Torrey Smith signed, I don't think we necessarily need to draft a WR early unless DGB is available for us in the 2nd. If Boldin and Smith both get hurt, it doesn't matter who we draft at WR, it's still going to be a tough year for that group. The way I look at it, Ellington/Patton/Montgomery would each bring in their specific set of skills. Ellington is explosive, Patton's route running is precise, and Montgomery brings a physical presence like Boldin.

At this point, the WCO in the NFL is really just a set of play calling terminology. I'd be very surprised if we aren't running something very similar to what Baltimore ran last year... or if you get a chance to rewatch the 49ers-Saints game from last season you'll see a ton of the same concepts. Zone Run/Zone Read, Play Action-Throw Deep.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
There's a few guys who might be better options...like Stefon Diggs (visiting this week, I believe), Nelson Agholor, maybe even Chris Conley. We don't need an inconsistent WR...we need playmakers who catch the ball consistently.

Diggs might be an option in the 5th. Agholor could be gone by the 2nd/3rd. Conley is a workout warrior, IMO.

If you've ever watched Montgomery play, you can't say he isn't a playmaker. After his 2013 season, that's all they talked about with him. He hit a rough patch last season, but for a 4th, I'd take a chance on that potential.

Conley is NOT a workout warrior. he had low numbers but led his team in yards and receptions because they don't throw a lot. Watch him play. He has skills and his talent shows up on the field. I'd also look at Dezmin Lewis and Darren Waller ahead of Montgomery. If you're getting a raw player, why not pick one who can catch?
Montgomery was only discussed as a late first/early 2nd round pick under the assumption that he was 6'2 with 4.4 speed. He was always raw, but evaluators kept expecting him to break out and thought he was a physical specimen.

Instead, the guy is 5'11 7/8" with short arms (31") and ran a very disappointing 4.55 at the combine. Had he declared last year, his stock would have fallen at the combine back then at the combine. His stock was hurt a little by failing to break out during the season, but it really dropped off a cliff at the Senior Bowl when he was measured and between the Senior Bowl and Combine with sloppy route running. He probably would have ended up as a 3rd/4th round pick last year after being evaluated further and instead he's probably going to be a 4th/5th round pick.

He has never had the potential of a first round pick - he was mis-evaluated last year and people thought they were watching a 6'2 receiver instead of a 6'0 receiver with short arms. Conley has way more potential than this guy and it's not even a discussion. Montgomery is a poor man's Cordarrelle Patterson.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
Needs to move to running back
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
That's fine... let all the negatives bring this guy down to around the 3rd round.. maybe, he's not THAT good and THAT ready yet.. and that happens all the time, but eyes dont lie, you can see the future in this guy...

we can land him in the 3rd round, and hope that he can be another TO (talent wise) for years to come..
Share 49ersWebzone